[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Your best Red Sauce and White Sauce recipes

Savage Beatings

I'm calling on all of the experts here to list their best (but also easy for us amateurs) sauce recipes. Please give us a good red sauce and a good white sauce. Plus any tips for exectuing those recipes properly.

Thanks a lot! :wacko:

red sauce

i do quite a few variations..plus you have bolognese (imo best done with beef, pork, veal). i also like creamy tomato sauces.

there are just so many sauces out there..... what type of white are you looking for......

pesto cream, gorgonzola cream, basil bechamel, mornay, creamy mushroom........

edit: most of those are for pasta...if you want it for a protien..... i'll post how i'd do them differently...and others more specifik for said protein

Edited by Bier Meister

red sauce

i do quite a few variations..plus you have bolognese (imo best done with beef, pork, veal). i also like creamy tomato sauces.

there are just so many sauces out there..... what type of white are you looking for......

pesto cream, gorgonzola cream, basil bechamel, mornay, creamy mushroom........

edit: most of those are for pasta...if you want it for a protien..... i'll post how i'd do them differently...and others more specifik for said protein

Can you post your best Bolognese? I've never made it at home and it's my favorite.

i like what pancetta adds to sauces

1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil

1 medium onion (yellow or white), small dice

3 stalks celery, small dice

6 garlic cloves, minced

1 pound ground veal

1 pound ground pork

4 ounces pancetta or bacon, small dice

2 14 1/2-ounce cans whole tomatoes in juice

1 3/4 c chicken stock

1/2 c whole milk

2 tsp fresh thyme, chopped

2 tsp fresh basil, chopped

2 tsp fresh oregano, chopped

Heat oil in heavy large pot over med heat. Add onions, celery and garlic and saute until veg are tender and beginning to brown (about 10 minutes). Increase heat to high; add veal, pork and pancetta and saute until meat is brown, breaking up meat with back of fork, (about 10 minutes). Add tomatoes with their juices to a blender and puree...add 1 3/4 cups stock, milk and thyme. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer uncovered 1 hour 15 minutes, adding more stock if mixture is too thick and stirring occasionally. Season to taste with salt and pepper.

what type of white are you looking for......

Well, we seem to eat a lot of Fettucinni Alfredo, using an Alfredo sauce out of the jar. I wouldn't mind coming up with a substitute. Doesn't need to be Alfredo sauce specifically. Even a butter-garlic type of sauce might be a good change of pace for us. We're not into the really heavy thick sauces I guess.

But I really didn't mean for you to cater specifically to my individual interests. :wacko:

a quick pasta "sauce" i do at home is oil diced tomato, basil, garlic, red pepper flakes....just a quick saute.

pesto is good and versitile. i like having pesto around.... pesto alfredo is a nice combo.

Could you portion that out for me... serving of 4?

Pleeeeeeeeeeeeeease? :wacko:

basil pesto:

4 cups fresh basil leaves (from about 3 large bunches)

1/2 c olive oil

1/3 c pine nuts

2 cloves of garlic

1/4 c freshly grated Parmesan cheese

1/4 c freshly grated pecorino Sardo or Parmesan cheese

1 tsp coarse kosher salt

Roast pinenuts in oven until there is slight color. cool. Combine first 4 ingredients in blender. Blend until paste forms, stopping often to push down basil. Add both cheeses and salt; blend until smooth. makes about a cup.

for the other:

dice 2-3 tomatoes

chiff about 1/2 c basil

miince 3 cloves of garlic

i basically give that a quick saute, then add my cooked pasta to the pan..throw in a few pinches of chili flakes ..toss and serve

Well, we seem to eat a lot of Fettucinni Alfredo, using an Alfredo sauce out of the jar. I wouldn't mind coming up with a substitute. Doesn't need to be Alfredo sauce specifically. Even a butter-garlic type of sauce might be a good change of pace for us. We're not into the really heavy thick sauces I guess.

But I really didn't mean for you to cater specifically to my individual interests. :wacko:

Alfredo sauce is really easy and really good.

Here's what I do:

I take a block of parmesean cheese...about 6-8 ounces. I throw it into the food processor along with a handful of fresh basil and about five cloves of garlic. Hit the processor and grind it all up. Meanwhile, in a sauce pan, I melt a stick of butter with a couple of tablespoons of fresh lemon juice. That melts up, and I pour in a pint of heavy cream. Get that nice and hot and stir in my chees mixture. Once it all melts, I pour it over pasta and eat it up, yum.

edit: I sometimes leave out the basil and garlic. Sometimes I add "essence" (as made famous by emeril) to give the sauce a little kick.

Edited by untateve

Here's what I do:

I take a block of parmesean cheese...about 6-8 ounces. I throw it into the food processor along with a handful of fresh basil and about five cloves of garlic. Hit the processor and grind it all up. Meanwhile, in a sauce pan, I melt a stick of butter with a couple of tablespoons of fresh lemon juice. That melts up, and I pour in a pint of heavy cream. Get that nice and hot and stir in my chees mixture. Once it all melts, I pour it over pasta and eat it up, yum.

edit: I sometimes leave out the basil and garlic. Sometimes I add "essence" (as made famous by emeril) to give the sauce a little kick.

Excellent! Thank you for that... I'll give it a shot. :wacko:

Here's what I do:

This is pretty much what I do except I also add some ground nutmeg.

Here's what I do:

This is pretty much what I do except I also add some ground nutmeg.

this is pretty much what i do except i'm lazy -- i just melt the butter, pour in heavy cream and spoon in some grated parmesan to taste. for alfredo sauce, i use parmigiano-reggiano.

The last time I was home, my sister made tomato gravy that was almost as good as my moms used to make-- it was pretty much the recipe I posted in that other thread, but the key ingredient was chicken. Season a butchered fryer and season with garlic and s&p, then fry it up. Add that to the gravy (with the other meats, too, if you're doing sausage, meatballs, bracciolle--whatever) Something about the marrow from the chicken bones makes the gravy better after it simmers for a while.