[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Superbowl coin flip

chester

I actually believe it was tails as I recall.

What was I thinking? I should've guessed that as the Irish always call tails.

from Wiki:

Game summary

After scoring a combined 73 points in their regular season meeting, the teams failed to score more than 10 points by the end of the third quarter. The Patriots' record-setting offense gave up five sacks and one lost fumble, while the Giants' offense managed only five first downs in the second and third quarters. Yet in the fourth quarter, quarterback Eli Manning threw two touchdown passes, including the winning drive that culminated with a 17-yard touchdown to Plaxico Burress with 39 seconds remaining. The game marked the first time that a previously undefeated team had lost in a National Football League championship game since the 1942 Chicago Bears as the Patriots fell shy of their bid for a 19-0 campaign.

After calling tails to win the coin toss, the Giants started the game with the longest opening drive in Super Bowl history,[57] a 16-play, 77-yard march that consumed 9 minutes, 59 seconds and featured four third-down conversions, the most ever on a Super Bowl opening drive. But New England halted the drive at their own 14-yard line, forcing the Giants to settle for a 32-yard field goal from Lawrence Tynes that gave New York a 3-0 lead.

Some interesting notes about the coin toss:

All teams that have won the coin toss in the Super Bowl have elected to receive. (you are not allowed to defer your choice to the 2nd half which is why everyone takes the ball).

The NFC has won the last 11 coin tosses now (and 28 of the 42 total coin tosses)

The team winning the coin toss had lost the game for the last 4 years and 9 of the last 11 years (before this year)

Heads has come up 5 of the last 7 times and 7 of the last 11 times (before this year).