[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Cutting Steaks from Beef Tenderloin

Atlanta Cracker

So, inspired by the thread on the world's best meats, I did indeed go to Costco yesterday and pick up a whole tenderloin - marked USDA Choice. I tried to get the butcher there to slice it up for me but he said they weren't allowed so I had to do it myself which leads to a few questions.

#1. Is there any proper way to do this? I just sorta cut and peeled and ripped the outer fat off but it sometimes took some meat with it. It also seems there was a lot more fat on the outside than I expected.

#2. Once trimmed and cut the steaks looked very nice. How does one package them for freezing most effectively? I wrapped them in saran wrap, then foil, and finally put them in a ziplock bag.

#3. I ended up with quite a bit of excess tenderloin chunks/pieces. Any recipe suggestions?

In the end I ended up with 10 8-12 oz filets and about a pound of delicious scraps for $60. Not too bad I don't think!

That's pretty much what I do.

1) Wet it down and clean it in the sink

2) Remove the fat and thin skin silvery membrane. The silver skin will require a sharp fillet knife because it's kind of tough and really attached.

3) There are two pieces on the side and top that I trim off too. I'm sure Bier or Det know the exact name. Once you remove that you'll see some more fat/membrane. Remove that too.

4) I then slice off the small tip and butterfly it. Folding it into a decent filet.

5) Cut the rest of the tenderloin into filets about 2.5" thick. Usually get about 12 filets or so out of it for around $60.

Great bargain.

you did a great job for your first time ac.

with the non-fatty scrap...as others said, stir fry... also ok for stew, chili, gouslash, stoganoff....

with everything (fat and protien) ...if you have a grinder...makes good burger... or sausage.

There's a VERY good episode of Good Eats on the Food Network where Alton Brown goes through this exact process. He buys a whole tenderloin at Costco and goes through the step by step of how to trim it, what to do with the chain, etc. If you have tivo, program the words "Good Eats Tenderloin" into a keyword search and you'll probably get it at some point. Or you could just tivo and watch the entire series, which is what I do.

So, inspired by the thread on the world's best meats, I did indeed go to Costco yesterday and pick up a whole tenderloin - marked USDA Choice. I tried to get the butcher there to slice it up for me but he said they weren't allowed so I had to do it myself which leads to a few questions.

#1. Is there any proper way to do this? I just sorta cut and peeled and ripped the outer fat off but it sometimes took some meat with it. It also seems there was a lot more fat on the outside than I expected.

#2. Once trimmed and cut the steaks looked very nice. How does one package them for freezing most effectively? I wrapped them in saran wrap, then foil, and finally put them in a ziplock bag.

#3. I ended up with quite a bit of excess tenderloin chunks/pieces. Any recipe suggestions?

In the end I ended up with 10 8-12 oz filets and about a pound of delicious scraps for $60. Not too bad I don't think!

#2 Foodsaver. Seriously worth the money IMO.

There's a VERY good episode of Good Eats on the Food Network where Alton Brown goes through this exact process. He buys a whole tenderloin at Costco and goes through the step by step of how to trim it, what to do with the chain, etc. If you have tivo, program the words "Good Eats Tenderloin" into a keyword search and you'll probably get it at some point. Or you could just tivo and watch the entire series, which is what I do.

:wacko:

That's where I learned it. It's been on my TiVo for almost a year now in case I need a refresher.

:wacko: thanks for the heads-up. Alton Brown is a demigod.