[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

What's your favorite kind of steak?

irish

The cutting steaks thread got me thinking. I was going to start a poll but I'm not even sure of all the different types of steak there are and I know that I'd leave some out.

I love filet mignon or a nice Porterhouse.

I don't know what a delmonico is but I'll use the other 5 to rank:

http://www.steakperfection.com/delmonico/Steak.html

Seems like many were confused, so don't feel bad as you're in the majority.

Conclusion

The long journey to trace the identify of the original, authentic Delmonico Steak has concluded. The solution of the original mystery created another mystery, but all now is clear.

The original, authentic Delmonico Steak is not a bone-in steak. It is not a chuck-eye steak, a rib-eye steak, a porterhouse steak, or a sirloin steak. And it is not any boneless top loin. These are great steaks, but none is the Delmonico Steak.

The historical fact is that the original, authentic Delmonico Steak is, in modern terms, the first boneless top loin steak cut from the front of (anterior to) the short loin.

Edited by irish

http://www.steakperfection.com/delmonico/Steak.html

Seems like many were confused, so don't feel bad as you're in the majority.

Conclusion

The long journey to trace the identify of the original, authentic Delmonico Steak has concluded. The solution of the original mystery created another mystery, but all now is clear.

The original, authentic Delmonico Steak is not a bone-in steak. It is not a chuck-eye steak, a rib-eye steak, a porterhouse steak, or a sirloin steak. And it is not any boneless top loin. These are great steaks, but none is the Delmonico Steak.

The historical fact is that the original, authentic Delmonico Steak is, in modern terms, the first boneless top loin steak cut from the front of (anterior to) the short loin.

I just know that it's damn good and the ones I've had have been boneless and similar to a ribeye.

Edited by twiley

I just know that it's damn good and the ones I've had have been boneless and similar to a ribeye.

All I know is that one of my favorite places to go eat when I'm on vacation down in Florida is Texas de Brazil. I know they have one in NY but I've never been to that one. You ever eat there? It's absolutely unbelievable the different kinds of steak/meats they have and keep coming around with. You pay a flat fee and have at it for as long as you can go. I walk in like this> :D At some point feel like this> :D leave like this> :moon: and end up back at the hotel like this> :wacko:

All I know is that one of my favorite places to go eat when I'm on vacation down in Florida is Texas de Brazil. I know they have one in NY but I've never been to that one. You ever eat there? It's absolutely unbelievable the different kinds of steak/meats they have and keep coming around with. You pay a flat fee and have at it for as long as you can go. I walk in like this> :D At some point feel like this> :D leave like this> :moon: and end up back at the hotel like this> :wacko:

I think a few people have done some write ups in this forum about them. Mostly good reviews with many saying to skip the sides that they try to give you and just stick to the meat.

Edited by twiley

Mingon, Porterhouse w/mignon are at the top of my list, but skirt steaks can be great, as can flatirons. Heck, even a properly marinated chuck steak can be really good. Any cut that has really good marblization can be prepared properly and taste great, and be very tender. Can brisket be considered a "steak"? Sure, you wouldn't grill it, but corned or smoked it's awsome too.

Going waaay back to 2005 with this http://forums.thehuddle.com/index.php?showtopic=137462

This thread is soooo 2006 http://forums.thehuddle.com/index.php?showtopic=147833

If you want to know about doneness preferences of Huddlers, check here http://forums.thehuddle.com/index.php?showtopic=147832

Going waaay back to 2005 with this http://forums.thehuddle.com/index.php?showtopic=137462

Good stuff Mojo, thanks.

Filet is nice and tender but can lack flavor IMO.

I know the strip is thought of as the true steak lovers cut of choice, but I find it to be too variable. I've had perfectly cooked strips from prime or kobe cows that frankly didn't live up to the hype. And no, they weren't from the end with the vein of gristle running through it.

That brings me to rib-eye, that I almost always love and hanger which has risen from my favorite steak for the money to quite possibly my favorite steak over all (though I think it gets nudged out by rib-eye if price is not an issue).

There's another that bears mention but can be hard to find.

The spinelis (sp?) is the lip that runs around the outside of the rib-eye and is easily the best part. It's a highly marbled 1 inch thick steak (sort of like flank or skirt but 10x more tender). For some inane reason, some chefs like to serve a "true rib-eye" of "filet of rib-eye" and have the meat company carve that lip off. When that happens, my guy cryo-vacs them and calls me up and I buy all he's got. It's freaking ambrosia.

Filets don't have any flavor. I need some fat on my steak, sir.

Ribeye for me.

You know that's the second huddler, I believe, who's mentioned that filet's don't have good or any flavor. Marinate those slabs of meat for like 24 hours and you'll get meat you can cut with a fork and all the flavor you'd want. Although I do have to mention that I also enjoy having fat on my steak at times as well. When I went to Texas de Brazil, one of, if not my favorite altogether was the Top Sirloin which had a strip of fat on each cut.