[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Jamal Lewis re-signs with Browns

Popeye

http://sports.excite.com/news/02212008/v8625.html

Source Says Running Back Jamal Lewis Agrees to Deal With Browns

CLEVELAND (AP) -Running back Jamal Lewis has agreed with the Cleveland Browns on a multiyear contract, The Associated Press has learned.

I was hoping that Turner would have ended up in Cleveland. Oh well, maybe Houston will go after him.

Good call for the Browns. They're definitely making progress as a team, no reason to take a step back by finding a new RB.

I agree. The Browns have come a long way in the past 2 years. Lewis had a lot to do with that. It helps that they improved their o-line as well.

My first thoughts on this signing was that he was too old. So I go and look at his yearly statistics and 2007 game logs and find myself pretty surprised what a rebound year he had in 2007, and that he's only 29. In 2007, Jamal had his 2nd highest (tied) yard per carry average and TDs, and the 3rd most receptions and reception yards. So then I go and look at his 2007 game logs and find the following interesting tidbits: In games with greater than 20 carries, Jamal had a YPC average of 4.99. In games with less than 21 carries, Jamal had a YPC average of 3.1. He scored 4 of his 9 total rushing TDs in one game. Taking this one step further I see that 100% of the greater than 20 carry games are all against 500 and sub 500 teams. I also see that 50% of his less than 21 carry games were against playoff teams.

My conclusion is that his resurgance likely had to do with the Browns schedule first, and then their stellar passing game taking 8 out of the box for the first time in a long long time for him. If the Browns have a tougher schedule in 2008 I think his numbers drop.

? "only" 29?

I would have thought they would target Mildenhall or Stewart in the draft. Lewis is getting up there and has always been somewhat limited in various ways.

I thought he was 31 or older. That's why the "only 29" comment. At 29 he has a couple years left in him...and his best year(s) behind him though.

? "only" 29?

I would've thought they'd target Mildenhall or Stewart in the draft.

Which draft pick are they supposed to use to get one of those two guys? They have no first rounder. They won't be there when they pick 2nd round.

Now, guys like Mike Hart will probably be there. Sure seems like a wise idea for the Brownies to draft an RB in the 2nd or 3rd rounds. Deep pool of RB and "29" year old Lewis and all.

Cowboys, Giants, Eagles, Redsins, Ravens, Ravens, Steelers, Steelers, Colts, Titans, Jaguars.....that schedule is brutal this year. Last season the AFC North had it about as easy as anyone in the league....also throw in that the Browns last place schedule gave them Oakland and Houston. What I am saying is that this last year was not as impressive when you look at who they played....and I don't think his season was as good as it seemed, he only had 172 more yards than his last year with the Ravens and had equal rushing TDs.

I won't overvalue him next year.

Cowboys, Giants, Eagles, Redsins, Ravens, Ravens, Steelers, Steelers, Colts, Titans, Jaguars.....that schedule is brutal this year. Last season the AFC North had it about as easy as anyone in the league....also throw in that the Browns last place schedule gave them Oakland and Houston. What I am saying is that this last year was not as impressive when you look at who they played....and I don't think his season was as good as it seemed, he only had 172 more yards than his last year with the Ravens and had equal rushing TDs.

I won't overvalue him next year.

I agreed on all points. And dont forget that he looked so good last year as compared to the other top RBs because RBs as a whole underperformed all year, or were injured. Basically he was his little better than average self in a weak RB year which made him look great.

Edited by Pancake

I agreed on all points. And dont forget that he looked so good last year as compared to the other top RBs because RBs as a whole underperformed all year, or were injured. Basically he was his little better than average self in a weak RB year which made him look great.

Yeah, because it could not possibly be the better o-line or the play of Winslow and Anderson to open things up a little for Lewis.

I mean come on it's the Browns right.

My conclusion is that his resurgance likely had to do with the Browns schedule first, and then their stellar passing game taking 8 out of the box for the first time in a long long time for him. If the Browns have a tougher schedule in 2008 I think his numbers drop.

I think Jamal has more left than people think. As for a very good passing game; that's a good reason for any back to do well. Let's give credit to where it all starts and where games are won, THE LINE. Also there are backs that need to get into a rhythm and seem to run better the more carries they get. Whether it's the play calling, the D line getting tired or the back setting things up, some just need the carries to get things going.