[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Randy Moss

Footballjoe

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I believe that gives them a week to cut a deal or he is a free agent. Sort of surprised myself unless this means a deal is close.

This could be totally wrong, but I thought that they can't sign a deal until Free Agency because he's already restructured his contact once this season and they have to wait to next (i.e. Free Agency) if they have a deal? Is there any truth in this or have I interpreted that wrong?

Edited by MonkeyOne

This could be totally wrong, but I thought that they can't sign a deal until Free Agency because he's already restructured his contact once this season and they have to wait to next (i.e. Free Agency) if they have a deal? Is there any truth in this or have I interpreted that wrong?

I too read what you're talking about.

They can't sign a deal, but could maybe have one worked out, no? Carlos Boozer comes to mind though... Cleveland supposedly had a deal place and he bailed for bigger dough in Utah when FA hit. Risky.

But hey... you can't question Moss' character, he's a stand up guy, I'm sure he'd keep his word. :wacko:

What, no Waterman yet?

Wow. I thought for sure that they'd tag him (the cap hit for WRs is under $9 million).

I think that Moss is going to test the FA market. If the Pats and Moss were close to a deal, I think that they would've gotten it done by now.

I think Moss will want to dip his toes and see what the price tag is now. Knowing his personality and the fact that the Pats didn't use him at all in the playoffs...I don't think he likes that and will want to go somewhere where he doesn't have to share the spotlight.

no surprise they didn't tag him. after this failed season, i'm sure the pats will try to go in a different direction in an attempt to try and bring home a championship.

the guy scores 23 td's and that's a failed season? yes, they didnt win it all, and thus failed to become super bowl champions, but Moss was an integral part of them going 18 and 1.....they would NOT have been there without him this year

Part of story from the Boston Globe this morning

link here: http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patr...ss_isnt_tagged/

There will be no game of tag between the Patriots and Randy Moss, as the club declined to place the franchise label on the receiver by yesterday's 4 p.m. deadline.

Moss, whose contract expires when the league year ends next Thursday, can still return to the club next season, although the Patriots surrender leverage by not tagging him.

Had the Patriots placed the tag on Moss, interested teams would have to surrender two first-round draft choices to sign him, an exorbitant price that most often scares suitors away. Without the tag, Moss is technically free to shop himself to all teams once free agency begins next Friday, and those clubs would not have to give up compensation to sign him.

Yet that second scenario is unlikely because Moss and the Patriots have expressed their desire to reach a multiyear contract extension. The 31-year-old Moss has told friends how much he enjoys playing with Tom Brady, privately wondering what his career would have been like had he been with a quarterback of Brady's caliber earlier.

At the Super Bowl, Moss said: "I would love to finish my career [as a Patriot], just for the fact they have everything you want in a football organization. For me to be able to say that I would love to become a New England Patriot and finish my career here, that is something that I can really believe in."

It's possible the parameters of a deal are in place, but it cannot be finalized or enforced because players are allowed to extend or restructure existing contracts only once in a league year. Moss had restructured his contract to consummate his trade to New England from Oakland in late April, meaning the sides cannot finalize a deal until next Friday.

Edited by chinatown dragons

the guy scores 23 td's and that's a failed season? yes, they didnt win it all, and thus failed to become super bowl champions, but Moss was an integral part of them going 18 and 1.....they would NOT have been there without him this year

Moss certainly helped them run up the score, but they also had a stellar O-line for most of the year and a very good defense. They probably wouldn't have gone 18-0, but they would've made it to the SB without Moss. They came extremely close last year with inferior WRs and no Seau, Harrison, or Adalius Thomas... and that was in a more competitive AFC.

I don't know about you, but I don't consider an unprecedented 18-0 run followed by a massive upset loss in the Super Bowl a "successful" season. I don't think that anybody in the Pats locker room does, either.

Moss certainly helped them run up the score, but they also had a stellar O-line for most of the year and a very good defense. They probably wouldn't have gone 18-0, but they would've made it to the SB without Moss. They came extremely close last year with inferior WRs and no Seau, Harrison, or Adalius Thomas... and that was in a more competitive AFC.

I don't know about you, but I don't consider an unprecedented 18-0 run followed by a massive upset loss in the Super Bowl a "successful" season. I don't think that anybody in the Pats locker room does, either.

Referring to Moss having a successful season, and exceeding everyones expectations.....!

Referring to Moss having a successful season, and exceeding everyones expectations.....!

Well, sure. But I don't think that BB cares that Moss had an outstanding season when they lost the SB.

I'm not sure how much Belichick really wants Moss back. He's always been a defense-first guy and won 3 SBs with Troy Brown/David Patten/Deion Branch/David Givens. And his defense has cost them two rings in a row now by allowing late 4th-quarter TDs.

I'm wondering if BB is waiting to see what the Bears do with Berrian. Seems like he might give them more financial flexibility to address defensive needs than Moss' contract would.

Edited by Bill Swerski

Wow. I thought for sure that they'd tag him (the cap hit for WRs is under $9 million).

I think that Moss is going to test the FA market. If the Pats and Moss were close to a deal, I think that they would've gotten it done by now.

A year has not passed since his restructure, so he can't sign a new deal with them yet.

I believe that was sarcasm on tonorators part. F'n colts fans.

Part of story from the Boston Globe this morning

link here: http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patr...ss_isnt_tagged/

At the Super Bowl, Moss said: "I would love to finish my career [as a Patriot], just for the fact they have everything you want in a football organization. For me to be able to say that I would love to become a New England Patriot and finish my career here, that is something that I can really believe in."

He also added that it depended on the money if he stayed or not in his last media interview before the Superbowl.

He might have a deal in place,but what better way to make sure you dont get franchised then to act like you are going to sign a deal.

Patriot organization = frugal

today's high-profile WRs = big money

....Moss played on the cheap this past year. no way he signs for less than a mint this time. sure he may want to stay in NE, but unless they back the truck up, i see him taking it as a sign of disrespect. i believe he'll walk for the best offer that comes from a half-decent team who has an established QB.

Patriot organization = frugal

today's high-profile WRs = big money

....Moss played on the cheap this past year. no way he signs for less than a mint this time. sure he may want to stay in NE, but unless they back the truck up, i see him taking it as a sign of disrespect. i believe he'll walk for the best offer that comes from a half-decent team who has an established QB.

if the pats are in the ballpark, he remains in New England....rumors have it that they have already discussed/worked out a deal, hence them not hitting him with the franchise tag....

he was close to what all players shoot for...a championship......Who will sign him that have a legitimate chance of going to a Super Bowl?

if the pats are in the ballpark, he remains in New England....rumors have it that they have already discussed/worked out a deal, hence them not hitting him with the franchise tag....

Possible. It's also possible that Randy wants a $50 million deal with $25 million up front and is going to hit the FA market. At age 31, this is the last time that he'll be able to land a big contract.

he was close to what all players shoot for...a championship......

Outside of wishful thinking, why are you convinced that all Moss cares about is winning a championship? Why is money supposedly not a major factor in the equation?

Who will sign him that have a legitimate chance of going to a Super Bowl?

I'd say that the Titans and Jags are both legitimate SB contenders and both are in desperate need of a big-play WR.

I'm not sure that the dynasty-on-the-decline Pats are the best long-term bet to get Randy that ring. Their aging defense has cost them two championships in successive late-fourth-quarter meltdowns over the past two seasons. I imagine that they'll go into next season as the favorite to win the SB, and deservedly so. But one really has to wonder how much longer their window of opportunity will be open.