[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Yet ANOTHER accusation of the Patsies cheating

wiegie

New Claim of Taping Emerges Against Patriots

Jim Davis/The Boston Globe

By JOHN BRANCH and GREG BISHOP

Published: February 22, 2008

INDIANAPOLIS — The Patriots’ pattern of illicitly videotaping the signals of opposing N.F.L. coaches began in Coach Bill Belichick’s first preseason with the team in 2000, a former Patriots player said. The information was put to use in that year’s regular-season opener against the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, Belichick’s debut as New England’s coach.

The secret taping of signals, which is against league rules, continued at least through three championship seasons to the 2007 season opener against the Jets, when the Patriots were caught and subsequently sanctioned by the league.

As coaches and executives gathered here Thursday for the N.F.L. scouting combine, many saying they were satisfied with the league’s investigation and ready to move on, new details were emerging about the history of the Patriots’ videotaping.

According to several executives in the league, the season opener against the Jets was not the first time the Patriots had been spotted taping another team’s defensive coaches at Giants Stadium. In the final preseason game of 2006, the Patriots were caught taping a Giants defensive assistant giving signals, the executives said.

The incident prompted a letter addressed to all teams seven days later from the N.F.L. vice president Ray Anderson that detailed the league’s interpretation of the rules. That letter was cited by Commissioner Roger Goodell when he punished the Patriots.

Belichick has said that he misinterpreted the league’s bylaws, telling Goodell that he thought it was permissible to use electronic equipment as long as the information was not used in the same game. That explanation has been greeted with disbelief by some peers and league officials.

In a news conference last week, Goodell said Belichick’s explanation led to the assumption that he had been videotaping opponents’ signals “as long as he has been head coach.”

The league’s nine-member competition committee spent three days this week discussing various rules changes that it might recommend for next season. After a 90-minute briefing on the Patriots’ videotaping activities Thursday by Goodell and three league vice presidents, the committee said taping rules would not be changed in the aftermath of the controversy.

“The rules are very, very clear,” said Tennessee Titans Coach Jeff Fisher, a committee member. “There is no need to be more specific or clarify any rules whatsoever.”

Questions linger about how much of an advantage the Patriots may have had if they intercepted defensive signals. Under Belichick, the Patriots have often run a no-huddle offense, which forces opponents to quickly call a defensive play. N.F.L. rules allow quarterbacks to hear instructions from coaches — through a headset and into a speaker in the quarterback’s helmet — until there are 15 seconds left on a play clock. When the defensive play call is deciphered, the Patriots could call a play to counteract. The Patriots lost the 2000 opener against the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, when videotape of signals was used in preparation, according to the former Patriots player, who was among several former players interviewed by the N.F.L but said he did not want to speak publicly because the investigation is continuing.

The Patriots appear to have continued the practice of taping opposing signals for seven years. Last September, Goodell fined Belichick $500,000, fined the Patriots $250,000 and took away one of team’s first-round draft choices in 2008. After the sanctions were announced, the Patriots submitted six tapes, from games in 2006 and 2007, and some notes that dated to 2002, Goodell said. The tapes and notes were destroyed days after being handed to the league, because Goodell considered the matter closed.

But questions remain about how wide and deep the Patriots’ taping habits extended. Senator Arlen Specter, a Pennsylvania Republican who met with Goodell last week, is among those still questioning why the league was so quick to sanction the Patriots and destroy the evidence.

Goodell met with the competition committee Thursday to discuss his handling of the spying case. Committee members seemed satisfied and eager to turn the page.

“We were all satisfied, every one of us,” said John Mara, the Giants’ president. “All of us have our different opinions about the Patriots, but we were all satisfied that this thing was investigated properly and that they came to the proper conclusion.”

Bill Polian, the president of the Indianapolis Colts, said: “It’s behind us. It’s time to move forward.”

But emerging details continue to pull the league back in time. On Feb. 2, The Boston Herald reported that the Patriots might have taped a St. Louis Rams walkthrough practice the day before the teams played in the 2002 Super Bowl. The Patriots won, 20-17, on a last-second field goal. Belichick, speaking to The Boston Globe, recently denied that the practice was taped.

In the hallway at the convention center here, Mike Martz wanted to talk about his new job as San Francisco’s offensive coordinator. Instead, reporters peppered him with questions about the Patriots. Martz was the coach of the Rams when the teams met in the Super Bowl six years ago.

He took exception to the theory that the Patriots could not have gleaned much information from taping the walkthrough. He said indeed they could, but added that was not the point.

“For somebody to say that, it’s kind of disgusting,” Martz said. “The whole point is if they really cheated. To say he took some steroids and it did help or it didn’t help, that’s never the point. The point is, to all these high school coaches and high school kids and college kids, that if they did cheat, that’s the point.”

Martz said he assumed the walkthrough report was false. A similar sentiment was voiced by Chicago Bears Coach Lovie Smith, the Rams’ defensive coordinator that season.

“It’s just hard for me to fathom anyone would do anything like that,” Smith said. “I’m sure, if there’s something to it, No. 1, it will come out later. Time has a way of taking care of all things.”

Martz was asked if he wanted the N.F.L. to continue investigating the walkthrough. “Of course,” he said. “I was involved in that. I was responsible for a lot of people in that game.”

Executives dismissed any lingering notions that the Patriots’ taping opponents was a common practice around the league.

“I don’t want the outside perception to be, ‘Boy, there are all these teams and they’re all doing all these things,’ ” said Rich McKay, the Falcons’ president and a member of the competition committee. “Because it’s not true.”

Belichick was not seen in the hallways of the convention center Thursday. Representatives of 21 teams are scheduled to meet with reporters for news conferences from Thursday to Sunday. Belichick and the Patriots are not among them.

“I don’t want the outside perception to be, ‘Boy, there are all these teams and they’re all doing all these things,’ ” said Rich McKay, the Falcons’ president and a member of the competition committee. “Because it’s not true.”

There goes that excuse.

Bill Polian (Colts), who 'dislikes' the Patriots, and makes no bones about it, is satisfied with how Goddell handled the situation.

It should just be let go....

http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/23278709/#storyContinued

Edited by chinatown dragons

the patriots have four teams on their 2008 schedule who finished above .500 in 07....we could replace randy moss with macho man randy savage...belichick with bill clinton...and wed still be lookin at 12 wins

The Macho Man would go 19-0 as he would call his old buddy Hulk and Reunite the Mega Powers.

oh man...i could talk about the glory days of the wwf for days..

http://nomas-nyc.com/uploaded_images/282812-798625.jpg

That was at Wrestlemania... If I remember correctly, Walter Peyton also attended that event, and got involved in the main event...

so could I

Jimmy Superfly Snuka was my favorite growing up

The Macho Man and Ultimate Warrior owned everyone.

u know...after looking at the pic of LT and bam bam bigelow again...i wondered...how the hell did LT outlive bam bam bigelow....im sure bam bam had his share of coke and hookers...but still

My friend and I were discussing dead wrestlers earlier today... Very odd, considering I haven't watched WWF in a decade or so...

My friend and I were discussing dead wrestlers earlier today... Very odd, considering I haven't watched WWF in a decade or so...

yeah i havent watched that sh1t in years....but i still love talking about the old sh1t

its pretty funny because macho man put out a rap album like 4 years ago...and a couple of my friends bought it....and wed get drunk and memorize the songs....and we still quote them when were drunk...he even had a tribute song to mr perfect

Bill Polian (Colts), who 'dislikes' the Patriots, and makes no bones about it, is satisfied with how Goddell handled the situation.

It should just be let go....

http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/23278709/#storyContinued

I agree. This is technically old news, as we've known about the "taping other teams since 2000" bit for a week or two now.

yeah i havent watched that sh1t in years....but i still love talking about the old sh1t

its pretty funny because macho man put out a rap album like 4 years ago...and a couple of my friends bought it....and wed get drunk and memorize the songs....and we still quote them when were drunk...he even had a tribute song to mr perfect

Perfect Friend was greatness...

Ohhhhhhhhhh YYyyyyeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhh

When will this story just DIE !

Really ? I think it's a foregone conclusion they taped teams for the last 8 years

Do we really need to hear of every instance ?

Someone really hates the pattsies and won't let this die...............rediculous, imo.

Who freakin cares anyhow.

Whether owners and GMs agreed with the punishment or not, guys like Polian and Rooney just want this to die for the sake of protecting the league.

There isn't an owner in the league that wants this news to continue or the investigation to find ANYTHING MORE. If the Pats go down on this the NFL as a whole will suffer and every owner will lose money if all the sudden the integrity of the game and the commish is called into question.

Is there anyone out there who would call out a guy kind of over top of you (Rooney putting down Goodell for instance).....not sure if Goodell is the boss of owners per say, but probably pretty darn close.