[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

The Saints a suitor(the only) for Turner?

rajncajn

From the Saints board...

"Mike Turner's (Chargers tailback) people are not happy here in Indy. Apparently his agent has been told precisely what I expected -- the draft is loaded with tailbacks and teams in dire need at running back will draft one. The one team that might be his buyer is New Orleans, because Deuce's recovery has hit some snags, according to their trainers. The Steelers like Turner alot, but they don't like the numbers he is looking for. Arizona, reportedly, loves him but can't afford to even buy groceries on their cap. They just had to cut three players to get a little wiggle room."

they also have a lot of other interesting news if you want to read.

http://www.draftdaddy.com/blog/nfldraft.cfm

(Note: They stated Quentin Groves is really causing a stir. "He met with 49ers' head coach Mike Nolan and told him your going to be sorry you traded the 7th pick for Staley after I run a 4.4 forty!" The site said if he ran that he would be a top ten pick. If he does jump that high maybe it would push down one of the DT to the Saints)

How in the Seven Hells is any team going to absorb Bush's hit against the cap, take on Turner's hit against the cap after winning a bidding war, and then expect to be competive with that much cap space sunken into 1 position?

:shakinghead:

By cutting Deuce. :wacko:

We're 39 million under the cap. I think they can find a way to manage it.

Edited by rajncajn

How in the Seven Hells is any team going to absorb Bush's hit against the cap, take on Turner's hit against the cap after winning a bidding war, and then expect to be competive with that much cap space sunken into 1 position?

:shakinghead:

Sounds like a bidding war against nobody so far though.

You seriously expect that to remain static?

Hey, it could happen. If he'd had a bigger year, there'd be more attention. With the deep RB pool, how valuable is he really? He's still a risk and he's looking for huge money. That'll turn teams off. At least initially.

I guess it's about how much he goes for and whether it really is a "war".

Sounds like you already should have been spending some money on some D players...

Better to not get them at all than to overpay & be stuck with a mediocre player being paid like a star. The Saints have gone after players, but nobody gets everything they want just because they ask.

Hey, it could happen. If he'd had a bigger year, there'd be more attention. With the deep RB pool, how valuable is he really? He's still a risk and he's looking for huge money. That'll turn teams off. At least initially.

Turner has something that no draftee has - he has proven that he can excel at RB at the NFL level. That ought to generate a salary offer higher than any draft pick this year, but it won't. But I guess if I am a GM and I need RB help, I'd rather have the proven product.

DeShaun Foster hasn't looked bad when healthy(which is his main problem), and he's out there as well.

Also, I'm a bit surprised the Saints are looking at Turner, because let's face it: Aaron Stecker performed very well at the end of last year. While lacking the HR threat that Turner appears to have he's already under contract, and BB is right - even with the realse of Deuce that's a heckuva lot at one position.

any team considering taking a RB high in the draft will look into Turner first. He's a more known commodity than any rookie and if you can save your 1st or 2nd rd pick for another position than RB, why wouldn't you?

That's my thinking as well... Houston, Seattle, Atlanta, or the Bears should at least consider it. He's got a good head on his shoulders, has performed every chance he's been given and has excellent size...

That's my thinking as well... Houston, Seattle, Atlanta, or the Bears should at least consider it. He's got a good head on his shoulders, has performed every chance he's been given and has excellent size...

I could see him in ATL or SEA. SEA especially if they dump Alexander.

Not sure that Turner is perceived quite so slam-dunk guaranteed good. He has been in the league for 4 years and has started only one game (in his rookie year). He has never had more than 80 carries as the #2 guy behind the best RB in the NFL - that would almost guarantee he would have decent numbers (ie. Hambrick in Dallas). He's never had more than 502 yards in a season and those came during mop up time during LT's NFL record setting year. He has never scored more than 3 TDs and that was in 2005. Not saying he won't be a decent back but expecting to step into a starting role without any RBBC may be optimistic. He's not all that "proven" and RBs are cheaper this year with a nice set of rookies coming out. He probably would have had more interest in him after 2006 when he had 502 yards on 80 carries (6.3 YPC) but last yhear he only had 316 yards on 71 carries (4.5 YPC). He's a great #2 back but I don't think he has made the case to be a starter nearly as much as he does. Evidently no other NFL teams have been clamoring for him either other than NO who wants him to pair with Reggie Bush until McAllister is healthy.

Not sure that Turner is perceived quite so slam-dunk guaranteed good. He has been in the league for 4 years and has started only one game (in his rookie year). He has never had more than 80 carries as the #2 guy behind the best RB in the NFL - that would almost guarantee he would have decent numbers (ie. Hambrick in Dallas). He's never had more than 502 yards in a season and those came during mop up time during LT's NFL record setting year. He has never scored more than 3 TDs and that was in 2005. Not saying he won't be a decent back but expecting to step into a starting role without any RBBC may be optimistic. He's not all that "proven" and RBs are cheaper this year with a nice set of rookies coming out. He probably would have had more interest in him after 2006 when he had 502 yards on 80 carries (6.3 YPC) but last yhear he only had 316 yards on 71 carries (4.5 YPC). He's a great #2 back but I don't think he has made the case to be a starter nearly as much as he does. Evidently no other NFL teams have been clamoring for him either other than NO who wants him to pair with Reggie Bush until McAllister is healthy.

You can't fault him for his lack of starts and carries, as he's been playing behind the best player in the league... There is no way he was ever going to get TD's as any time the chargers were close to the goal line LT would come back in.

I think anyone expecting him to step into a non RBBC is insane, as I think there are only 4-5 non RBBC teams going into next season, and I don't think anyone is confusing him with Tomlinson, Jackson, Johnson, or Westbrook.

I also don't at all agree with your last statement about pairing him with Bush until McCallister is healthy. If they sign Turner, McCallister would be as good as gone.

I could see him in ATL or SEA. SEA especially if they dump Alexander.

ATL makes sense as he and Norwood would compliment each other greatly. That being said, we still need to see if ATL will ever part with Dunn. I do think the abundance of perceived capable running backs will make it more difficult for him to find a team.

By cutting Deuce. :wacko:

We're 39 million under the cap. I think they can find a way to manage it.

Mickey Loomis has already dodged questions about the future of Deuce with the team. I'm thinking that Deuce has been pushed back to the "We'll see if something better doesn't come along..." status.

I'm not sure how I feel about Turner as the main guy. Bush is not, and isn't looked at as the RB of the team. He is going to compliment the teams RB and a majority of his play will be in the passing game. Is Turner a team's go to RB? I dunno. The way I see it, whoever is there besides Bush has to be able to viewed as a RB without him. I would like to see a guy who could be "the guy" but happens to be in a RBBC.

I'm not sure how I feel about Turner as the main guy. Bush is not, and isn't looked at as the RB of the team. He is going to compliment the teams RB and a majority of his play will be in the passing game. Is Turner a team's go to RB? I dunno. The way I see it, whoever is there besides Bush has to be able to viewed as a RB without him. I would like to see a guy who could be "the guy" but happens to be in a RBBC.

There are only handful of players in the league that can be "the guy" so thats a extremely remote possibility. Turner and Bush, if paired together wouldn't have to either be "the guy", and still produce great numbers. Of course, the coaching staff would have to use Bush properly, but that's another subject all together.