[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Have you ever had to handle a death in your league?

policyvote

Policy,

Sorry to hear about the loss of the league mate. Same thing happened to my league a little over 4 years ago.............Unfortunately this happened to one of my best friends, and it was on Sept 22, so we were in the 3rd week of the season. My buddy had just turned 32 years old, and collapsed while playing basketball one evening due to a massive heart attack. :wacko:

My wife and I, and he and his wife literally just returned from the best vacation we'd ever been on ( a carribean cruise), and two days later, he passed. I cannot even begin to tell you how thankful I was to be able to spend the last week of his life with him!! However, it was one of the toughest things I've ever been through in my life.............That year, as a league, we decided that no matter the outcome of the winner, over 1/2 the payout would go towards buying a portable AED to be donated to the softball field where most of us also played on a softball team together. With the money from the league, and a foundation we set up, we ended up collecting well over $6k and bought several AED's and donated them to various places in his name. We also renamed the league in his memory, and I still run that league today.

Good luck with what ever you decide to do, and again, sorry for your loss!!!! :D

Edited by Big Dogs

Sorry for you loss.

Like most have already said ... right now any league communications about your friend's death should not include any league business.

I also agree it is time for a new trophy to be named after your friend that just passed. I do not believe any effort should be made to retrieve the old trophy unless the family offers (on their own) to return it.

Wow, you must have some insensitive pr!cks as friends. :wacko:

People do funny things when money is involved. In a local I run for some pretty good money (but all are friends) one owner had his 7 month new born son diagnosed with cancer. It was touch and go for a little while and with some new advances in medicine they kid pulled through very well but, with insurance being what it is today it put a heavy burden on our friend. I suggested we donate the league money to the fundraiser for the parents to help pay the medical bills and just play that year for bragging rights. Because it was everyone's money we decided it would have to be a unanimous vote. The vote didn't carry being 10-1. I just thank God we didn't let the owner know we were thinking of doing this. I'm sure it would have hurt his feelings and created hard feelings. That's the way it goes when money is involved. Nobody knows who the dissenting vote was but, for the people that voted it did create some bad feelings and more than just a few arguments.

Sorry for your loss.

Maybe everyone chip in and send flowers to the services from the league. Not a big production and a simple card. His family will probably know what to do with the trophy when they get to it and you guys were probably sending flowers anyways. If not, trophies can be replaced

Naming the trophy after him sounds like a nice gesture. I don't know you all but you could even invite his old man to come watch your draft and present the trophy back to the commish. Buy him some beer and cheese sticks and let him observe a live draft, he might get a kick out of that. Certainly an idea if you know he grew up watching football with his dad like many of us did.

Goodluck.

Policy - sorry to hear of your loss. Tough stuff among the young. There's been great advice shared here -- pick from among it based on what best matches the particulars of your own situation, with a strong leaning towards putting real life considerations three steps ahead of fantasy football considerations.

Policy,

Sorry to hear about the loss of the league mate. Same thing happened to my league a little over 4 years ago.............Unfortunately this happened to one of my best friends, and it was on Sept 22, so we were in the 3rd week of the season. My buddy had just turned 32 years old, and collapsed while playing basketball one evening due to a massive heart attack. :wacko:

My wife and I, and he and his wife literally just returned from the best vacation we'd ever been on ( a carribean cruise), and two days later, he passed. I cannot even begin to tell you how thankful I was to be able to spend the last week of his life with him!! However, it was one of the toughest things I've ever been through in my life.............That year, as a league, we decided that no matter the outcome of the winner, over 1/2 the payout would go towards buying a portable AED to be donated to the softball field where most of us also played on a softball team together. With the money from the league, and a foundation we set up, we ended up collecting well over $6k and bought several AED's and donated them to various places in his name. We also renamed the league in his memory, and I still run that league today.

Good luck with what ever you decide to do, and again, sorry for your loss!!!! :D

Wow. Great post. Sorry for your loss . Thats a great story of people coming together after a sudden tragic event.

First and foremost, sorry to hear about your loss.

Let his parents keep the trophy, even if they offer to give it back. Re name the new league trophy in his honor. If a money league, all due's/winnings should go to a charity in his honor, or present the family with some type of remembrence item.

From a FF prespective, I would call those involved in the league, then post a short remembrence on your site. Let everyone know that the league wil observe a down time in respect of the individual and try to look at the best scenarios for the league for the upcoming yr and beyond.

On a side note, life is short, you must live every day as it was your last. Hug your family, embrace your friends, spend time with your children.

Again Policy, I am sorry to hear about your loss.

We just lost a member this past season. He was the brother of our very own Timmypg. His name was Tommy. It was a sad, shocking situation. One of his buddies took over his team for the remainder of last year, and Im not sure the status yet for this year. Sorry for the loss... It sucks to have to read about stuff like that...

As peepin said my brother passed away last off season. He was in 3 dynasty leagues (ran two of them) plus our local (all friends and family & he was commish). His friend took over the dynasty leagues & I took over the local.

As for letting people know. His friend posted a very nice message just letting everyone know what happened. He passed away in July so sadly we couldn't put FF on hold that long or we would've held up the leagues. Being that it is only Feb I would let them all know about his death but FF can wait.

Oh man, Timmypg. I can't imagine how much that must have hurt. I'm very sorry. I'm going to be sending out an email tonight . . . league stuff can and will wait. Thank you both for for posting.

Peace

policy

Everyone-

I thought you all might like an update . . . last night was the visitation. It was kind of surreal, but it was the happiest memorial I've ever seen. The place was packed, all of his family and friends were there, and it was geniunely upbeat. Everyone was glad to see each other, and the old comic-book-shop crew he loved hang out with showed up to a man. The shop closed a few years ago, so it had pretty much been that long for a lot of folks there . . . everyone shared stories, caught up, traded cell phone pictures of kids . . . It was almost as if he were right there with everyone. It may not be the usual way of things, but I'm pretty sure it's how he'd have wanted it. He was a big, bright, funny guy, and I'd like to think he's even happier than I am that everyone he really cared about showed up to hang out with him one last time.

I'm having a little trouble typing this.

Peace

policy

That year, as a league, we decided that no matter the outcome of the winner, over 1/2 the payout would go towards buying a portable AED to be donated to the softball field where most of us also played on a softball team together. With the money from the league, and a foundation we set up, we ended up collecting well over $6k and bought several AED's and donated them to various places in his name. We also renamed the league in his memory, and I still run that league today.

That is a tragic story with a wonderful ending. Thank you for sharing that, Big Dogs!

Peace

policy

Everyone-

I thought you all might like an update . . . last night was the visitation. It was kind of surreal, but it was the happiest memorial I've ever seen. The place was packed, all of his family and friends were there, and it was geniunely upbeat. Everyone was glad to see each other, and the old comic-book-shop crew he loved hang out with showed up to a man. The shop closed a few years ago, so it had pretty much been that long for a lot of folks there . . . everyone shared stories, caught up, traded cell phone pictures of kids . . . It was almost as if he were right there with everyone. It may not be the usual way of things, but I'm pretty sure it's how he'd have wanted it. He was a big, bright, funny guy, and I'd like to think he's even happier than I am that everyone he really cared about showed up to hang out with him one last time.

I'm having a little trouble typing this.

Peace

policy

I've always told everyone "when I go, tap a keg and nobody leaves until it's empty." :wacko: