[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Combine: waste of time

BeeR

He uses Chad Jackson, who was injured his rookie year, then was buried behind Moss, Welker and company in his second year. It's a bit too early to call him a bust, and for every one of those "misses" there is a Greg Jennings or Brandon Marshall to offset the argument. You can't put everything into the combine, but you can use it as another tool...

I love the combine and reading up about how all the players perform and what guys are helping themselves out versus the guys who are disappointing.

I wouldn't put so much stock in the physical drills, but the interviews with the teams have to be extremely valuable when deciding on a player. Game tape will show you most of what you need to know.

If they really want to get an accurate view of a player's physical football skills, why don't they make them run the drills in pads? :wacko:

I wouldn't put so much stock in the physical drills, but the interviews with the teams have to be extremely valuable when deciding on a player. Game tape will show you most of what you need to know.

If they really want to get an accurate view of a player's physical football skills, why don't they make them run the drills in pads? :wacko:

I don't think you need pads to tell agility, and speed of a player. Drills show technigue and how far along some players are also. While you can't put everything into the combine, it's a tool to judge as well as tape and other things.

+1 - nothing but a job interview.

Certain parts are overrated, but I think the medical exams, interviews, and just being able to look at the player up close mean a lot when evaluating these kids.

And them being kids is a big part of it.

A lot of these players have never been under a big spotlight, these organizations are trying to see how professional they can be and how fast they're going to be able to grow up.

If they really want to get an accurate view of a player's physical football skills, why don't they make them run the drills in pads?

Exactly. I think that the interviews are mostly valuable in helping you to Josh Gordon out the real boneheads......as long as a player appears to have at least a decent attitude and a moderate amount of brain cells firing (moreso for the QB), you should be fine. But even then, I think most realize that they have to be on their best behavior, so someone with somewhat of an attitude might play it off better for that particular interview or time.

Mostly, IMO it's worthless.

I think I'm with the majority of the people in this thread. No one is claiming that the Combine workouts and interviews are the be-all and end-all of scouting, and are the only indicators of how players will fare at the next level. It's merely another tool to use in player evaluation.

For every workout warrior who has bust out, there have been just as many success stories. Anyone else remember being wowed by Dwight Freeney's time at the Combine when he was coming into the league?

The Combine has proven its value many times over the years. I'm still shocked that some football fans can write the whole exercise off as "worthless".