[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Trade L.T and keep Turner

1st&punt

I think the initial thought is brilliant. LT would draw interest, no question. He's entering the twilight of his career as a NFL RB, and he's absorbed an astounding amount of work. It would be absolutely the right thing to do...

...except that the general fan base isn't very football savvy, and the media would have a feeding frenzy. The public relations nightmare & subsequent fallout might be predictably so large that it might negate a large part of the benefits of keeping Turner & sending LT packing. It would take gigantic brass balls from the GM, and he would have to understand that his job would be tied directly to the outcome of such a move. That might be too much of a risk for a GM who instead can stand pat & let SD slip as Turner moves on & LT's play deteriorates, since fans will be much more understanding that SD will enter a rebuilding period as they try to reassemble their RB corps.

This is good info, especially with the Chargers trying to get a new stadium in SD county. This kind of PR nightmare is not what they want right now!!

its all moot now anyway. Turner wasn't tagged. he can field the best offers starting Friday.

and as a comparison, what if Dallas had traded Emmit Smith when he was 29? that's a few years of great production they would've lost.

Even though he wasn't tagged, San Diego could potentially still get as high as a third round pick for him next year. I also agree with the Emmitt Smith statement. You have to throw out the 29-30 year old trend when it comes to the all time greats, which Tomlinson certainly is.

I guess this guy didn't see how horribly ineffective Turner was in the playoffs w/LT out of the game.

yds att avg.

@ NE L 12-21 65 17 3.8

@ IND W 28-24 71 17 4.2

TEN W 17-6 28 9 3.1

Not overly impressive against D's that you can certainly run on.

I understand your point but #1 look at the defence he played, very stout, yes. #2 Where was Lorenzo Neal the lead block for these two guys. Say what you want when Neal leaves this year, you'll see a direct reflection on L.T's numbers.

I understand your point but #1 look at the defence he played, very stout, yes. #2 Where was Lorenzo Neal the lead block for these two guys. Say what you want when Neal leaves this year, you'll see a direct reflection on L.T's numbers.

you are right man, the whole LT thing has been a sham. he's doing it with mirrors. dump him now and go with the backup ... that's definitely the way win a championship now. just keep posting ... with every letter we are slowly coming to understand the genius that lurks underneath your seemingly idiotic statements.

you are right man, the whole LT thing has been a sham. he's doing it with mirrors. dump him now and go with the backup ... that's definitely the way win a championship now. just keep posting ... with every letter we are slowly coming to understand the genius that lurks underneath your seemingly idiotic statements.

LOL now I'm being name called for my thoughts. Whatever your man love is for the guy thats fine. take your nose out of his ass for a second and breath some fresh air. Turner is reported to be a stud starter somewhere but all of a sudden not in SD. So is next year a better time to trade then, or the year after. Obviously I'm done here because conversation about your man love is getting hostile

Why the hell are you being so condescending? He's got a very valid point. LT has been awesome up to this point. But there is no denying the facts that he is cloisng in on 30 years old, and he is less than one full year's work from the 3000 touch threshold. Age & large workloads catch up with all RBs, even one as great as LT. He's entering a pivotal stage of his career, and to not recognize that is what ought to be considered idiotic.

Why the hell are you being so condescending? He's got a very valid point. LT has been awesome up to this point. But there is no denying the facts that he is cloisng in on 30 years old, and he is less than one full year's work from the 3000 touch threshold. Age & large workloads catch up with all RBs, even one as great as LT. He's entering a pivotal stage of his career, and to not recognize that is what ought to be considered idiotic.

i called his statement idiotic, not him. c'mon, this discussion is silly. you don't do a pre-emptive trade-away of your team's biggest star who is at the height of his game. especially when you have the pieces in place to make a serious run. turner gets mop up yards after the d-line has been bludgeoned to death. that hardly makes him a stud. there is under a 3 year difference in their ages, so the chargers are not sitting on a 22 year old phenom like AP. this is not visionary thinking. not to mention the signal this would send to the fans who happen to love this guy who is a geniune star and great member of the community.

i understand the concept, but LT2's 29, not 33. he's got 2 or 3 good years left. and like has been said, SD's ready to take a shot at a championship NOW. you don't trade LT2 at this point. if the team was struggling, of course you'd consider it. but we're not building for the future anymore.

we just need to get a good backup in the draft. there's a few RBs available this year.

Add to this that despite the big contract, it is a very cap friendly contract designed to keep him in SD for the rest of his career which still has a few very productive years left. With Tyronne gross, a very hard runner, like Turner, coming off of IR and Sproles filling roles to keep LT fresh, along with an emerging passing game, there is no reson to trade LT. You would not get what he is worth to the team and the public relation nightmare would be unbearable. By protecting LT with other assets, a better balanced offense and use of role players, he will be a very productiive player for the forseeable future.

From a fantasy perspective, there is a good chance that there will be falloff as he is "protected" more and relied on less. For LT, I don't think he cares anymore other than getting a championship and being a big part of that accomplishment.

Add to this that despite the big contract, it is a very cap friendly contract designed to keep him in SD for the rest of his career which still has a few very productive years left. With Tyronne gross, a very hard runner, like Turner, coming off of IR and Sproles filling roles to keep LT fresh, along with an emerging passing game, there is no reson to trade LT. You would not get what he is worth to the team and the public relation nightmare would be unbearable. By protecting LT with other assets, a better balanced offense and use of role players, he will be a very productiive player for the forseeable future.

From a fantasy perspective, there is a good chance that there will be falloff as he is "protected" more and relied on less. For LT, I don't think he cares anymore other than getting a championship and being a big part of that accomplishment.

That's a very good response, although I'd warn off about the "few productive years left". That 3000 touch barrier is something that has to be given serious consideration, and LT is currently at 2823 touches for his career. That's a ton of work in 7 years and the human body can take only so much pounding at that level no matter how studly the RB is.

That's a very good response, although I'd warn off about the "few productive years left". That 3000 touch barrier is something that has to be given serious consideration, and LT is currently at 2823 touches for his career. That's a ton of work in 7 years and the human body can take only so much pounding at that level no matter how studly the RB is.

I see LT being used more in role situations and hopefully will get used more like they tried to use Marshall Faulk at the end, but too late. Between the 20s, second and third down and in the red zone ALL THE TIME (he just knows how to punch it in).

In a Turner offense, that first down run up the middle or off tackel 90 % of the time is just too much to expose him to at this point.

Forget Tyronne Gross. He was not tendered. His knee is worse than thought and rehab is not going well.

And i bet 50% of teams would give up 2 first rounders and a few second dayers for LT, and it's STILL a terrible idea

I said earlier, there'd be no chance of any team giving up two first rounders for LT, unless that team was run by a zonked out old loony like Al Davis.

I said earlier, there'd be no chance of any team giving up two first rounders for LT, unless that team was run by a zonked out old loony like Al Davis.

Despite my man-love for LT, this is spot on! I am not sure at this point you could get a one. He would be worth a one to very few teams and would have to think he would win them a championship. He has too much wear to warrant a one for most teams trying to build.

I was going to respond to this...

it's been said a few times in this thread, but i'll say it too...it's a terrible idea. Beyond terrible. Horrible.

And i bet 50% of teams would give up 2 first rounders and a few second dayers for LT, and it's STILL a terrible idea

But Ursa said what I was going to say, almost word for word, including an Al Davis remark.

This whole forum is stupid. Let's please use some common sense.

I am totally shocked you guys would think he's not worth it. As far as on the field? There's nobody better, with no signs of slowing down. He never take big hits. As far as fans, he's one of the most popular guys in the NFL, he put butts in the seats in masses. Massive masses. He's a franchise player at a level that rivals every other franchise player in the history of the NFL. He's barely arguable the best RB in history, and 2 more years at his usual level and is the undisputed greatest RB that has ever lived. He has more records than Sony.

As far as off the field? Please. He's the epitome of what every team in the NFL strives for. He even truned down Madden's cover. He is simply the man, and taking into account the number of 1st round RB busts, I dont see how 2 first rounders wouldn't be a done deal.

Sure, a play it safe guy like Fox, or Parcells wouldn't do it, but I know 10-16 other teams certainly would. I'd bet money on it I'm so sure of it.

He's as good as Peyton or Brady at their positions and they would get 2 first rounders.