[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

The easiest question this forum may ever see

whomper

I love eggs and corned beef hash or some kind of good side. My wife makes me breakfast on the weekends. For the life of me everytime I try and make the eggs I either break the yolk or burn the eggs. I need good dippin yolk . Is there some kind of formula you can hook me up with to insure nice dippin yolk that will be cooked enough so I dont go to the hospital after eating it yet not cooked to the point where A. The yolk is overcooked or B. the White part burns ? I dont care if you describe sunnyside up or over easy..Ill take either one. TIA

let a teflon pan heat over med flame. melt butter. crack egg/s into hot pan. let whites cook. use a rubber spatula to "release" the egg/s from the pan. should just slide onto plate. quik flip onto the other side for 2-5 seconds for over easy.

let a teflon pan heat over med flame. melt butter. crack egg/s into hot pan. let whites cook. use a rubber spatula to "release" the egg/s from the pan. should just slide onto plate. quik flip onto the other side for 2-5 seconds for over easy.

The flip is the tough part for me. . .I always break the friggin yolk on the flip! :wacko:

This reminds me of the first time my wife cooked dinner for me. I realized she only knew two settings on the stove - off and high.

I always cook my eggs on medium on a non-stick griddle. Comes out perfect over-medium.

i'll echo twiley -- i cook my eggs on medium, too. keeps them from burning. and even though i use a teflon pan, i still spray some Pam on there.

We eat over easy eggs a few times per week and my routine is pretty much the same as the rest of you. Only, I discovered not long ago that olive oil is a much better medium than butter in terms of making it not stick. Of course, I use a lot, but it makes them taste so good. The yolks break when you flip them for a number of reasons. Sometimes, the eggs are just old or not very good. Sometimes it's because the pan is too hot. Sometimes it's because you weren't gentle enough. The first is hard to fix, the second you all seem to be on to already. The last, you barely need to flip them at all to get them to turn. Also, try "catching" them by lowering the pan just as they hit, to sort of soften the landing. Of course, the easier way is to simply do them sunny side up. If you put a lid on the pan, you'll steam the tops of the whites done.

Whomper, don't be ashamed that you can't cook an egg well, it's freaking hard to do. Sometimes when I'm trying a guy out as a line cook, I tell him to make me an omelet or an over easy egg. You'd be surprised how many "pros" can't do it well. I just happened to spend about a year of my career doing brunch, so after 1000s of eggs, I've sort of got it down.

Poach 'em. Throw on English muffin w/canadian bacon. Top with Hollandaise.

Yeah, poaching is pretty good although I haven't done it in a long time. I think you just put the egg in boiling water for a few minutes then wah la, nice yoke for your toast or whatever.

I may try it again this weekend. Yumm.

Yeah, poaching is pretty good although I haven't done it in a long time. I think you just put the egg in boiling water for a few minutes then wah la, nice yoke for your toast or whatever.

I may try it again this weekend. Yumm.

Don't boil. A very low simmer. Add a little vinegar to the water and get it swirling in the pot before you put the eggs in.

I agree with most of what has been said.

Fresh eggs

Good teflon pan - hot

butter - (never tried olive oil with eggs)

a little less than medium heat

rubber spatula for work in a frying pan - thin metal works if you have a large flat top

I will now be making fried eggs and toast for lunch :wacko:

I agree with most of what has been said.

Fresh eggs

Good teflon pan - hot

butter - (never tried olive oil with eggs)

a little less than medium heat

rubber spatula for work in a frying pan - thin metal works if you have a large flat top

I will now be making fried eggs and toast for lunch :wacko:

You can do that the eggs in a basket way. Take a piece of bread and tear out the center. Butter or oil pan, place bread in pan, crack egg into hole you created in bread. Cook as normal.

For dipping yolk, have you considered simply just soft boiling the eggs?

Put eggs in pot of water. Bring to boil, let boil 2-3 minutes (IIRC, that is the amount of time). Remove from heat and place under cold water ASAP to stop the cooking process.

SHould have a boiled egg with a set white and a runny yolk, perfect for dipping.

Don't boil. A very low simmer. Add a little vinegar to the water and get it swirling in the pot before you put the eggs in.

Well, according to Thomas Keller (French Laundry), you should poach eggs in a large deep pot of water with a touch of salt and vinegar. The rationale behind the large pot of water is that, as the egg falls in it, it forms a nice shape by the time it reaches the bottom.

There is a cooking utensil/tool, often called an egg poacher, but it's a shallow pan that gets about a half inch of water on the bottom. Then, there is a sort of internal cover, which will hold three small cups, sort of like a muffin pan receptacle/cup thing. You boil the water, turn it to a simmer, put these teflon cups in the holder, add some butter, then the egg(s) and put the lid on. Eggs come out great, and might remind you if the egg in an Egg McMuffin. Just don't overcook them.

Well, according to Thomas Keller (French Laundry), you should poach eggs in a large deep pot of water with a touch of salt and vinegar. The rationale behind the large pot of water is that, as the egg falls in it, it forms a nice shape by the time it reaches the bottom.

Yeah, I think that's the reason the water is supposed to be slowly swirling before the egg goes in, to help it hold it's shape. I do use a deep pot.

Yeah, I think that's the reason the water is supposed to be slowly swirling before the egg goes in, to help it hold it's shape. I do use a deep pot.

If you do the deep pot thing (the water has to be at least 12" deep), you don't swirl. In the long drop to the bottom, the egg is supposed to form a nice smooth teardrop shape.

I never poach enough eggs to make it worth boiling a couple of gallons of water.

I poach in a solution of water with a little vinegar at the bare simmer. Break the egg into a cup then slide that baby into the water. Depending on how fresh the eggs are, you might get some trailing but, assuming you're not cooking at the Four Seasons, who cares.

Edited by MojoMan