[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Bernard Berrian

kpholmes

From KFFL-

Brad Biggs, of the Chicago Sun-Times, reports Chicago Bears WR Bernard Berrian, who is soon to be an unrestricted free agent, was offered a five-year deal from the Bears worth $25 million. The deal included $8 million in the form of a signing bonus. Berrian, however, turned the proposal down and will test the free-agent water.

KFFL also reports he will be at the top of Minnesota's FA list... but that's no surprise.

From KFFL-

Brad Biggs, of the Chicago Sun-Times, reports Chicago Bears WR Bernard Berrian, who is soon to be an unrestricted free agent, was offered a five-year deal from the Bears worth $25 million. The deal included $8 million in the form of a signing bonus. Berrian, however, turned the proposal down and will test the free-agent water.

KFFL also reports he will be at the top of Minnesota's FA list... but that's no surprise.

Bears fan here. I think this was a reasonable offer. I would hate to see Berrian leave, but they shouldn't break the bank to keep him. He is good, but not that good.

Edited by Wolverines Fan

Per Profootballtalk.com. Take it for what it's worth.

POSTED 8:06 a.m. EST, February 28, 2008

BEARS, BERRIAN HAVE A GAP TO BRIDGE

If receiver Bernard Berrian is going to continue to wear an orange wishbone on a blue helmet for 2008 and beyond, the Bears and Berrian have some work to do. Quickly.

Per Brad Biggs of the Chicago Sun-Times, the Bears have offered Berrian a five-year, $25 million deal with $8 million in bonus money. Berrian wants $24.5 million over the first three years, and bonuses north of $12 million.

Given the rampant pre-free agency tampering, it's possible that Berrian's demand has been influenced by what he has heard that other teams might or will pay. And that's the real problem with tampering. It makes it harder for a player's current team to keep him because it allows other franchises to drive a premature wedge into what otherwise might be a productive and mutually satisfying relationship.

Given the rampant pre-free agency tampering, it's possible that Berrian's demand has been influenced by what he has heard that other teams might or will pay. And that's the real problem with tampering. It makes it harder for a player's current team to keep him because it allows other franchises to drive a premature wedge into what otherwise might be a productive and mutually satisfying relationship.

Or maybe it's that he can see that some teams are desperate for WR's and knows that the market is much higher than what the Bears are willing to pay.

Haven't seen Berrian play much, but thought I read somewhere he had questionable hands and from the Vikings standpoint why would they want another Williamson. Any truth to this?

He caught 71 passes last year and Williamson caught 18. I bet Williamson had more drops than him. I think it's a non issue.

Somebody will pay 5-6 years and 35-40 mil...I would love if he signed with the Vikes.

That is a joke of an offer in this day and age. He has at least proven to be "solid". A "solid" receiver is worth at least around 10-12 up front. Throw in his relatively young age and outstanding speed, and I'm guessing 5 for 25 is maybe 2/3 of what he is going to end up getting. The Bears were at least average at WR, which was their best offensive skill position. Now, if they were to lose Berrian and having already lost Muhammed, this could be the most pathetic offense I have ever seen in my life. It's a shame that a team with such a good defense won't be able to turn itself into a contender. Berrian may not be Torry Holt, but he surely isn't Troy Williamson either.

That is a joke of an offer in this day and age. He has at least proven to be "solid". A "solid" receiver is worth at least around 10-12 up front. Throw in his relatively young age and outstanding speed, and I'm guessing 5 for 25 is maybe 2/3 of what he is going to end up getting.

Yeah, I agree that $8 million guaranteed isn't enough for a guy like him.

Sounds to me like Angelo is low-balling him and that Berrian doesn't have much interest in staying in Chicago anyway.

That is a joke of an offer in this day and age. He has at least proven to be "solid". A "solid" receiver is worth at least around 10-12 up front. Throw in his relatively young age and outstanding speed, and I'm guessing 5 for 25 is maybe 2/3 of what he is going to end up getting. The Bears were at least average at WR, which was their best offensive skill position. Now, if they were to lose Berrian and having already lost Muhammed, this could be the most pathetic offense I have ever seen in my life. It's a shame that a team with such a good defense won't be able to turn itself into a contender. Berrian may not be Torry Holt, but he surely isn't Troy Williamson either.

However, when Mark Bradley played when Berrian was out, he played better, in my estimation, than Berrian did. My two cents.

I just don't know what to make of Berrian, but I suspect he's overvalued with people remembering the first 6 games of 2006. Still, his 2007 numbers are respectable. Bears fans: think he's really a #1 WR?

I think he is a great number 2. Santonio Holmes is a better receiver than Berrian. I would take my chances Bradley can stay healthy.

Not sure I'd say that. He put together a championship-caliber defense and drafted/signed/traded for some nice offensive talent. His downfall was using first-round picks on Grossman and Benson.

He's also not tried to fix the Grossman/Benson mistakes and is about to let Briggs and Berrian walk...

However, when Mark Bradley played when Berrian was out, he played better, in my estimation, than Berrian did. My two cents.

Bradley has the injury bug so far.

Berrian was accused of sloppy routes last season that lead to a few Grossman INTs (his specialty). Personally, I think Berrian is a tweener. Low end #1 WR for a team. Good #2.

He caught 71 passes last year and Williamson caught 18. I bet Williamson had more drops than him. I think it's a non issue.

Somebody will pay 5-6 years and 35-40 mil...I would love if he signed with the Vikes.

i think 40 mil is stretching it. he hasn't proven himself that much. imo, he's worth 25mil over 4 years with 10-12 up front or guaranteed. That's reasonable.

I think the bears have no intention of letting him walk, and he'll get his deal.

Yeah, I agree that $8 million guaranteed isn't enough for a guy like him.

Sounds to me like Angelo is low-balling him and that Berrian doesn't have much interest in staying in Chicago anyway.

I think the deal they offered was fair, minus the guaranteed. What's a few mil amongst friends?

As far as #1 potential? Maybe not with Grossman. A better QB he might be star material. But as a #2, he's beyond super star. he's as good as Wayne was as the #2 guy behind Marv.

I'd like to see Carolina make a play for him. Even tho he thinks he's #1 material, and Moose prolly believes he's still #2 material, with that trio on the field, we could neglect our running game propa! Which all know is Carolina's thing.

Anyway, KC could be a fit, or TB, SF. BAL . Lots of fits for him and they'll pay what he wants. I think he's being reasonable, but the Bears offer was fair enough. Can't fault either party

i think 40 mil is stretching it. he hasn't proven himself that much. imo, he's worth 25mil over 4 years with 10-12 up front or guaranteed. That's reasonable.

I think the bears have no intention of letting him walk, and he'll get his deal.

I think he will get Kevin Curtis money. Add in the inflation from last year and a team overpaying a bit and you have 35 million over 5 years

Bradley has the injury bug so far.

Berrian was accused of sloppy routes last season that lead to a few Grossman INTs (his specialty). Personally, I think Berrian is a tweener. Low end #1 WR for a team. Good #2.

Maybe i'm mistaken and that's what I had heard...his route running and not his hands.

I'd like to see Berrian back but like others have said, not at the expense of breaking the bank. While this offer seems low at first, I don't have a huge problem with it. I am surprised the Bears aren't being that aggressive with getting him back. WR's will be VERY thing next year. Hester as a number one? Yikes...

He's also not tried to fix the Grossman/Benson mistakes and is about to let Briggs and Berrian walk...

I imagine that Berrian probably wants out. He's #1 WR material and will make a lot more over the long term with a competent QB. He won't get that in Chicago.

I don't think that Angelo ever planned on keeping Briggs around. He's good, but he can be replaced. Look at it this way: Angelo managed to sign several key defensive players to big contracts during his tenure (Urlacher, Vasher, Tillman, Alex Brown, and I believe Mike Brown back in 2002). I'd say that he's done an overwhelmingly good job with the defense and special teams as well (Hester, Gould).

I think he will get Kevin Curtis money. Add in the inflation from last year and a team overpaying a bit and you have 35 million over 5 years

How'd that work out with Kevin Curtis? Yep. Berrian isn't worth it either. Turning your nose at $25 million to get to continue to play with your teammates? Hey, have fun storming the castle.