[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Samuel an Eagle?

budlitebrad

It was posted on Gary Cobb's website, but now the site is down. :D

EDIT: Here's something from Rotoworld

:wacko:

The St. Petersburg Times "has it on good authority" that free agent Asante Samuel will sign with the Eagles.

In the last hour, there were all kinds of unsubstantiated reports coming out of Philadelphia that the sides have a deal in place. The Birds may wait a few more hours or (ugh) until tomorrow to announce the agreement formally.

Edited by budlitebrad

Official site is reporting that the Samuel visit is official and he will be available to the Philly media at 4:30PM EST

Inside sources say there is already a deal in place..

link

John Clayton has said the Eagles were clearly the most aggressive in acquiring Samuel....this has me in belief that they have a strong deal in place sending Sheppard elsewhere..

Even as a Pats fan I'd rate Samuel behind both Trufant and Asomugha....guy's going to get a big payday regardless, and I like Asante, but I won't be sobbing when he signs somewhere else.

Even as a Pats fan I'd rate Samuel behind both Trufant and Asomugha....guy's going to get a big payday regardless, and I like Asante, but I won't be sobbing when he signs somewhere else.

is that because you are still sobbing from the SB loss :D

:D:wacko::brew:

So where does Lito go?

the only rumor that is flying is the one where he goes to AZ along with a couple of picks...or maybe even our 1st for Fitzgerald :wacko:

I don't recall the other possible deals, but they obviously have some kind of trade in the works if they pursued Samuel so hard...

I think they look at it this way....

Sheppard wants a crazy deal and they can get Samuel for the same money who they consider to be at least as good as Lito and doesn't get injured as often...

so they sign Samuel for the money they would sign Lito to and then package Lito with a high pick or two in order to get the wideout they want...

Sheppard wants a crazy deal and they can get Samuel for the same money who they consider to be at least as good as Lito and doesn't get injured as often...

so they sign Samuel for the money they would sign Lito to and then package Lito with a high pick or two in order to get the wideout they want...

pretty much...but you the one key thing that you didn't mention:

Lito is in year 1 of a new five-year deal, and wants it re-done. If they renegotiated his deal, there would be plenty of other Eagles in line, namely Brian Westbrook, Mike Patterson, Sheldon Brown. The Eagles will not set the precendent of renotiating a contract mid-term.

They also do not want a cancer complaining about his contract in the locker room.....kinda bad for morale.

You aren't the only one

The Eagles are playing up Asante Samuel's visit on their Web site amid reports that a deal could be near. Teams generally do not play up visits with players they expect to sign elsewhere.

Last night, I asked an NFL scout from the East Coast to rate the free-agent cornerbacks.

The scout ranked Raiders franchise player Nnamdi Asomugha "head and shoulders" above the others, with Seattle's Marcus Trufant second and Samuel third.

Asked about pouring big money into a free-agent corner, he said the player's man-to-man skills would have to be outstanding. He did not put Samuel in that category. However, the Eagles have a history of pressuring quarterbacks under defensive coordinator Jim Johnson, and pressure is a corner's best friend.

Eagles sign free-agent cornerback Samuel to 6-year deal

By DAN GELSTON - AP Sports Writer

2008-02-29 16:06

PHILADELPHIA (AP) -The Eagles have signed free-agent cornerback Asante Samuel.

The Eagles agreed to a six-year contract on Friday with Samuel, who spent the last five seasons with New England and had 16 interceptions the last two years.

Samuel also tied the NFL career playoff record with three interceptions returned for TDs

Philadelphia had only 11 interceptions last year and failed to score a defensive touchdown. Its defense had an NFL-worst 19 takeaways.

The Eagles will likely trade or shift positions for either Lito Sheppard or Sheldon Brown.

Samuel, a two-time Pro Bowl selection with two Super Bowl rings, has 22 career interceptions. He was protected by New England last year by the franchise player tag.

Hasn't this been known for nearly a year?

Not really...I am sure there are many camps that were hoping last season's surgery solved a lot of his problems (especially based on the number of people posting in the "Walker" thread that they would like to sign him).

But from what is being reported here, the knee is as bad as ever.

Not really...I am sure there are many camps that were hoping last season's surgery solved a lot of his problems (especially based on the number of people posting in the "Walker" thread that they would like to sign him).

But from what is being reported here, the knee is as bad as ever.

I remember seeing rumors that his knee wasn't recovering as well as they had wanted throughout last season... Nothing was ever definitive, but I know the rumors were at least there... As far as the people posting on wanting Walker, quite a few of them are Vikings fans, and lets be honest, Javon Walker on two bad knee's is better than the trash they've had to deal with last year.

the only rumor that is flying is the one where he goes to AZ along with a couple of picks...or maybe even our 1st for Fitzgerald :wacko:

I don't recall the other possible deals, but they obviously have some kind of trade in the works if they pursued Samuel so hard...

I think they look at it this way....

u havent heard anything about sheppard being moved to the patriots? that was going around earlier in the week

u havent heard anything about sheppard being moved to the patriots? that was going around earlier in the week

it may have surfaced...I only heard that as a possibility today, but I heard the Patriots are likely to sign Law....unless they plan to acquire both..which could be an option...

That would be your mentality. Take someone else's talent, pretend it's yours, and celebrate it.

That would be your mentality. Take someone else's talent, pretend it's yours, and celebrate it.

i hope you are joking....cause you cant be talking about the 4th rounder we took...that couldnt turn his head and make plays on the ball...or the guy that had hands of stone....the guy that you just signed....that developed into a top flight corner on our watch...i mean yer a philly fan....you think brad lidge is gonna help your team turn the corner....lol....no wonder youve been bostons bitch

i hope you are joking....cause you cant be talking about the 4th rounder we took...that couldnt turn his head and make plays on the ball...or the guy that had hands of stone....the guy that you just signed....that developed into a top flight corner on our watch...i mean yer a philly fan....you think brad lidge is gonna help your team turn the corner....lol....no wonder youve been bostons bitch

....wow..

I hope you are joking....cause you cant be talking about the 4th rounder we took...that couldnt turn

his head and make plays on the ball...or the guy that had hands of stone....the guy that you just signed....that developed into a top flight corner on our watch...i mean yer a philly fan....you think brad lidge is gonna help your team turn the corner....lol....no wonder youve been bostons bitch

you said it

Edited by keggerz