[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

So the Panthers have done.....what exactly?

LooGie

Wth. You cannot tell me that this team was good enough last season, and only lacked a WR.

Obviously they've cut the riff raff, but the coaching is the same, and there's no new players. Are we gonna address every single position in the draft?

Williams has yet to prove himself, although he did better than Foster and still didn't earn the starting role.

I dont think QB was really addressable this off season, although, i'm quite certain this is Delhomme's last year as our starter. Just call it a hunch.

O-line? please.

We signed Moose. that's it. who was mediocre at best in CHI, but a stud w/ us, so I'm happy about this move. I was happy w/ Keyshawn too, but we dumped him as well.

I think this is a perfect example of the lack of a worthy GM. Our personel moves boggle my mind, and they do so year in and year out.

Nothing has been addressed. Nothing. Not one thing besides a would-be #2 WR, should be #3. I just dont get it.

It's only day 1 of FA right?

Edit:

Nothing personal LooGie, but :wacko:

It's the first day of FA.... plenty of time still.

Saints fans think alike...

Hey and on the bright side it looks like TB is going to overspend on people this offseason which is always great for the rest of us in the NFC South. :D

Edited by myhousekey

My thinking is that they will wait for some guys that don't get the high dollar deals and strategically sign a few of them. I see us going after someone like Ryan Clady or Rashard Mendenhall to address the OT or RB issues that we have. I don't think Clady will make it to us at #13, but perhaps he will.... if he does, I think that is who they will choice and solidify the OL by moving Wharton to OG to replace Wahle, Clady at LT, Kahil at C and leave Gross on the other side at RT.

Should Clady be gone at #13, I think we should take Mendenhall who had a great combine and will give us the stud RB we need for our offense to run between the tackles. With the trade of Jenkins, we now have 2 3rd rounders to go along with the missing pick in the 5th as a result of the Chris Harris trade from last year, giving us 8 in total.

I think Fox and Hurney know that the hot seat is warm and will focus on building this team to succeed for this year and beyond. Hopefully, we will see a few pieces of the puzzle emerge in the next two weeks with some good FA signings and fill out the rest of the pieces through the draft. I am just glad to see that they have gotten rid of a few of the underperformers from last year.... (Carr, Colbert, Carter, Morgan, Foster, Wahle, etc.) to free up cap space and add some more players.

:wacko: Still nothing

I think Fox and Hurney know that the hot seat is warm and will focus on building this team to succeed for this year and beyond. Hopefully, we will see a few pieces of the puzzle emerge in the next two weeks with some good FA signings and fill out the rest of the pieces through the draft. I am just glad to see that they have gotten rid of a few of the underperformers from last year.... (Carr, Colbert, Carter, Morgan, Foster, Wahle, etc.) to free up cap space and add some more players.

The funniest thing is that you listed 7 starters here. We had 7 starters that were underperformers. This is my point with the GM. It's just mind boggling, and here now, we've lost out on many big name performers because we're either penny pinching, or not evaluating properly. Either is not acceptable. We hang on to underperformers for too long and we evaluate other underperformers to replace them when we finally man up and release them.

Edited by LooGie

There was a rumor being tossed around a week or so ago about a possible bid for Derek Anderson. That would be an interesting move. Especially given that they just picked up another 3rd rounder, which would be part of the 1st and 3rd price for Anderson.

Speculation abounds!

:wacko:

There was a rumor being tossed around a week or so ago about a possible bid for Derek Anderson. That would be an interesting move. Especially given that they just picked up another 3rd rounder, which would be part of the 1st and 3rd price for Anderson.

Speculation abounds!

The 1st and 3rd applied when he was a RFA. Now that Cleveland signed him, the stakes would be different with another factor being that Cleveland would have a significant salary-cap hit for the signing bonus if they traded him now.

The 1st and 3rd applied when he was a RFA. Now that Cleveland signed him, the stakes would be different with another factor being that Cleveland would have a significant salary-cap hit for the signing bonus if they traded him now.

Aha! But, you're assuming that I knew he was signed! And I didn't! So there!

They removed the dead weight holding down their offense. Look for this offense to explode this season....if Fox lets the kid loose.

Yes, the dead weight is gone, but this isn't like a sinking ship, where you cut the weight and the boat surfaces. This is like throwing broken oars overboard. You still need to replace them....

Just got an email from Pat Y. at ESPN.com (former Panthers beat writer here in Charlotte) and he told me a few new things about what he has heard from his Panthers sources. There is a good chance that there will be 5 new starters on the OL, as it is likely that Gross will move to LT with Wharton playing OG next to him. Kahil is likely to start at C with either the new OG K. Vincent (former starter with AZ) or Hartwig moving over from C to OG. They then may move Bridges to RT or look seriously to grab either Ryan Clady or Chris Williams to fill out the OL.

I read his email and checked one of my other Panthers sources the Carolina Growl (Steve Reed from the Gastonia Gazette) and he pretty much confirmed what Pat had told me.

New OL for the Panthers

Loogie you are right about some of there recent acquisitions and they have been slow to cut dead weight, but I think they both realize that their collective jobs are on the line. They have an extra 3rd rounder from the Jenkins trade that may help them move up a little if Clady is still there at 10 or 11. Guess we will find out in a few more weeks. Anyway, signing a bunch of average players for 2 year contracts for $2MM isn't going to do anything more than keeping us around 7-9 or 8-8 for the third straight year and Fox / Hurney both looking for work next January!

Just got an email from Pat Y. at ESPN.com (former Panthers beat writer here in Charlotte) and he told me a few new things about what he has heard from his Panthers sources. There is a good chance that there will be 5 new starters on the OL, as it is likely that Gross will move to LT with Wharton playing OG next to him. Kahil is likely to start at C with either the new OG K. Vincent (former starter with AZ) or Hartwig moving over from C to OG. They then may move Bridges to RT or look seriously to grab either Ryan Clady or Chris Williams to fill out the OL.

I read his email and checked one of my other Panthers sources the Carolina Growl (Steve Reed from the Gastonia Gazette) and he pretty much confirmed what Pat had told me.

New OL for the Panthers

Loogie you are right about some of there recent acquisitions and they have been slow to cut dead weight, but I think they both realize that their collective jobs are on the line. They have an extra 3rd rounder from the Jenkins trade that may help them move up a little if Clady is still there at 10 or 11. Guess we will find out in a few more weeks. Anyway, signing a bunch of average players for 2 year contracts for $2MM isn't going to do anything more than keeping us around 7-9 or 8-8 for the third straight year and Fox / Hurney both looking for work next January!

:wacko: Great post, good insight and sadly, you're probably predicting the future if this draft isn't epic.

Pat and I became e-mail friends about a year ago, as he is a HUGH Penn State fan as we both grew up in PA (he didn't attend PSU, just a big fan). We are both 42, family, kids, etc. so we planned to meet for lunch as the Charlotte Observer building is a few blocks from BAC. Never got a chance to meet as he left the paper to take is new job with ESPN as one of their football writers (great opportunity for him). He gave me his personal e-mail, so we can talk Panthers and Penn State stuff so it is pretty cool to have a ESPN writer that I can pick his brain for some extra juicy stuff on my Panthers, as well as other teams.

He, like you and I have been waiting for the Panthers so show some action on the FA market and as much as you don't want to overpay for guys, they really have done squat yet and he has been some what critcal of some of there moves, 5 teams especially signing Wharton to big money and moving over to OG. I think they really want Clady, as they went to Boise to check him out and if they can land him and they are happy with his progress, they may keep Gross at RT and plug in the rookie at LT. If Vincent overtakes Hartwig to get the starting nod, I could see Hartwig getting cut to save cap space as we still have Hangartner to back up both Kahil and/or Vincent.

Panthers visit with Clady

that's really cool, especially that he stayed in touch.

as far as the O-line, yah, we need a better lineup for sure. Hopefully that will be enough to get DeAngelo the yards he's capable of, but as far as every other position, we're still lacking. I'm not sure Moose can be the #2 we need (athough I believe it) and we're still suckin at backup RB, as well as #3 WR and honestly, the QB position has 1 starter, at best, and that's if Delhomme still has it, which honestly, I'm not so sure he did before his injury. :wacko:

What's your take?

edit: and ALL THAT is assuming, DeAngelo is bona fide franchise running back, which STILL has yet to be proven.

Edited by LooGie

Great post Dave with the Yasinskas info. :wacko:

My thoughts:

1. A young franchise type OL is a must. They have to do whatever it takes to land one of the blue chippers in the draft. Trade up if you must.

2. Give DeAngelo Williams a chance! Fox always kept Foster in the fold and never gave DeAngelo a chance to shine. He has to be given his shot.

3. Find a servicable RB in draft or FA. He doesn't have to be a blockbuster guy, just a lunch pail type that can be counted on if needed. Warrick

Dunn would be a great option IMO. A great mentor to DW and a solid pro.

4. Address the free safety position and target some young secondary help in the 2-3rd rounds.

Finally, a more prominent name signs with the Panthers!!

Panthers sign Landon Johnson

Lead the Bengals in tackles in 3 of the last 4 seasons. Should be on the outside and join Davis, Beason to make a nice linebacking corps. :D

whoo hoo stop the press, this one is REALLY big:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d8...mp;confirm=true

this is HUGH!!! I mean, this is exactly what i'm talking about. Simply wonderful. A starting, working, good player being signed in the business season. I'm giddy. I would like some players at the skill positions..but this will do for now..

Loogie, your problems are over...

LaBrandon Toefield-RB- Panthers Mar. 7 - 5:56 pm et

Panthers signed RB LaBrandon Toefield to a one-year contract.

Source: Rock Hill Herald

:D

So, now we've got 3 players in the FA...