[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

FAs - latest moves (and opinions)

BeeR

Recap of latest below. Samuels was a good move by PHI and there are a few others, but overall I think this is about the lamest year for FAs I've ever seen; seems like most of these teams are just swapping scrubs more or less (my fav is JAX paying millions for a QB even MIA didn't want). I do think WAS res-signing Collins made sense as insurance.

Parcells wasting no time in Miami

After a busy morning of making deals, the Dolphins signed free-agent QB Josh McCown, who started nine games for the Raiders last year, to a two-year deal, $6.25 million contract Friday afternoon. He could start in Week 1 for Miami.

Miami also signed former Jacksonville free-agent wide receiver Ernest Wilford to a four-year, $13 million contract that included a $6 million signing bonus and another $1 million escalator.

The Miami Dolphins stormed out of the free-agent gate early Friday, adding yet another young player. The Dolphins reached agreement with former Tennessee defensive tackle Randy Starks on a five-year, $21 million contract that includes $7 million worth of guaranteed money. The best part of Starks might be his upside. He is only 24 years old.

The Dolphins also have reached agreement on a trade with the Dallas Cowboys that would reunite DT Jason Ferguson with Parcells and give Miami a new starting defensive tackle tandem for the coming season.

Additionally, the Dolphins signed former Jets tight end Sean Ryan to a one-year deal and were expecting a visit from Arizona linebacker Calvin Pace.

-- Adam Schefter

Samuel signs with Eagles

Free-agent cornerback Asante Samuel signed a 6-year deal with the Philadelphia Eagles on Friday afternoon.

It's a six-year, $57 million deal that includes $20 million in guaranteed money and $32 million in first three years of the contract.

Samuel was tagged as the Patriots' franchise player after the 2006 season and played the 2007 season under an agreement that the team would not franchise him again, thus allowing him to test the free-agent market.

The Eagles also are making a push to sign Oakland free-agent defensive end Chris Clemons.

Jaguars sign WR Porter

The Jaguars bolstered their receiving corps on Friday as they signed former Raiders wide receiver Jerry Porter to a six-year, $30 million deal that includes $10 million worth of guaranteed money.

The Jaguars also have signed free-agent quarterback Cleo Lemon to a three-year contract worth just under $9 million.

--Adam Schefter

Raiders land former Giant safety Wilson

Oakland continued the spending frenzy it started before free agency.

The Raiders reached an agreement with former New York Giants free-agent safety Gibril Wilson on a six-year contract worth $39 million, including $16 million guaranteed. The Giants had a rough Friday. They lost Wilson, and linebackers Kawika Mitchell and Reggie Torbor.

--Adam Schefter

On Thursday the Raiders re-signed defensive lineman Tommy Kelly to a seven-year contract that reportedly could be worth more than $50 million.

Kelly, coming off reconstructive knee surgery, was set to become an unrestricted free agent on Friday. But the Raiders pre-empted that with a lucrative contract that guarantees Kelly more than $18 million.

Keeping Kelly was an offseason priority for Oakland after defensive tackle Warren Sapp retired. Kelly was the team's most consistent defensive lineman last season before sustaining the season-ending knee injury Oct. 28 against Tennessee. Kelly finished last season with 27 solo tackles, one sack and a blocked kick that helped seal Oakland's first win of the season. He has 13 sacks in four seasons in the NFL. -- The Associated Press

Browns to deal for Packers DT Williams

The Cleveland Browns will trade their 2008 second-round pick to Green Bay for defensive tackle Corey Williams. Cleveland then will agree to a deal with Williams that pays him $18 million in guaranteed money and $23 million in the first three years of the deal.

Williams had been tagged last week as Green Bay's franchise player. He played in all 16 games, including nine starts, in 2007 and set career highs with 51 tackles and 32 solo stops. He tied his career high with seven sacks.

Also, Tennessee free-agent defensive end Travis LaBoy is scheduled to visit the Browns.

-- Adam Schefter

Jets acquire Panthers DT Jenkins

The Jets traded third- and fifth-round draft choices to Carolina for defensive tackle Kris Jenkins. The Jets then signed Jenkins to a five-year, $35 million contract that includes $20 million in guaranteed money.

Also, Pittsburgh free-agent guard Alan Faneca will visit the Jets this weekend.

-- Adam Schefter

Bills reach deal with LB Mitchell

Linebacker Kawika Mitchell has reached an agreement with the Buffalo Bills on a five-year, $17.5 million contract that includes $5 million worth of guaranteed money.

The five-year veteran started all 16 games for the Giants last season after being the team's only notable free-agent addition a year ago. He finished with 87 tackles, 3½ sacks and one interception in the regular season. He added two sacks in four playoff games, including one in the Giants' Super Bowl win over New England.

Additionally, the Bills were expecting a visit from Tennessee free-agent tight end Ben Troupe this weekend.

Bucs sign Faine

The Tampa Bay Buccaneers made Jeff Faine the highest-paid center in the game, signing the former Saint to a six-year, $37.5 million deal, including $15 million in guaranteed money. The deal will pay Faine $20 million in the first three years.

-- Adam Schefter

Vikings fill safety void with Williams

The Minnesota Vikings reached agreement Friday with free-agent free safety Madieu Williams on a six-year deal worth close to $34 million. Williams is flying to Minnesota to sign the contract Friday, reports Adam Schefter of the NFL Network.

The 26-year-old Williams, who played his first four seasons with the Cincinnati Bengals, is expected to replace Dwight Smith, whom the Vikings cut recently. Smith later signed with the Detroit Lions.

Also, Chicago free-agent wide receiver Bernard Berrian is visiting the Vikings.

The Vikings also announced the signing of fifth-year fullback Thomas Tapeh, who played with the Philadelphia Eagles when Vikings coach Brad Childress was offensive coordinator.

49ers land RB Foster, WR Bruce

The 49ers reached agreement on a one-year deal with free-agent running back Deshaun Foster.

Foster, a six-year veteran, gained 876 yards rushing and caught 25 passes in 16 games for the Panthers last season. However, he also fumbled seven times in 247 carries, losing five. -- Adam Schefter

The 49ers made more news later in the day when they signed veteran WR Isaac Bruce, who was let go by the Rams on Thursday, to a two-year deal. --Adam Schefter

Also, the 49ers announced the signing of veteran CB Allen Rossum, who was waived by the Pittsburgh Steelers on Tuesday. Terms of the deal were not disclosed.

Falcons re-sign Redman, woo free agents

The Atlanta Falcons re-signed quarterback Chris Redman to a two-year, $5 million contract that includes another $3 million in escalators. Redman could wind up being the Falcons opening-day starting quarterback.

Additionally, the Falcons had visits scheduled from at least four coveted free agents. San Diego running back Michael Turner, Tennessee tight end Ben Hartsock, Jets safety Erik Coleman and Texans linebacker Von Hutchins all were expected to visit the Falcons on Friday.

-- Adam Schefter

Skins keep Collins

The Washington Redskins resigned quarterback Todd Collins to a three-year, $9 million contract that included a $3 million signing bonus. The 36-year-old veteran backup replaced an injured Jason Campbell in Washington's Week 14 win over Chicago, then started the last three games of the regular season, helping the Redskins earn a wild-card berth. With Campbell coming back from a knee injury, it was considered important for new head coach Jim Zorn to retain the veteran backup. -- Adam Schefter

Quick-hitters

» With kicker Jeff Wilkins retiring Friday, the Rams are wasting little time trying to find a replacement. Seattle free-agent kicker Josh Brown is visiting the St. Louis Rams on Friday.

» It didn't take long for Trent Green, who has received medical clearance to resume his career, to draw interest. He has scheduled visits next week with his former team, the St. Louis Rams, and the New Orleans Saints.

» Niners free-agent offensive tackle Kwame Harris is visiting the Oakland Raiders.

» Chicago free-agent tight end John Gilmore and Seahawks free-agent linebacker Niko Koutouvides are scheduled to visit Tampa Bay on Friday.

» The New England Patriots re-signed long snapper Lonie Paxton to a one-year deal.

» New England free-agent linebacker Junior Seau needs surgery on both his shoulders but would like to continue playing.

» The Detroit Lions announced they have re-signed CB Keith Smith to two-year deal.

but overall I think this is about the lamest year for FAs I've ever seen; seems like most of these teams are just swapping scrubs more or less

This is actually in my opinion one of the more fun first two days of free agency... We hear reports back and forth on Moss having or not having a deal in place in New England, Miami rebuilds there entire team, Samuel goes to Philly, Justin Smith lands in Cali, Shaun Rodgers goes to cinci, then to Cleveland... Faneca signs with the Jets, then he'll make his decision on Saturday... And then there is Al Davis...

What exactly were you expecting?

Guest Chappy
This is actually in my opinion one of the more fun first two days of free agency... We hear reports back and forth on Moss having or not having a deal in place in New England, Miami rebuilds there entire team, Samuel goes to Philly, Justin Smith lands in Cali, Shaun Rodgers goes to cinci, then to Cleveland... Faneca signs with the Jets, then he'll make his decision on Saturday... And then there is Al Davis...

Agree with this assessment. It's been a ton of fun so far!! The non-stop action has been great.

This has been one of the most active early days that I can remember. There are no big name QB or RBs involved this year but there are a rather high number of fantasy relative wideouts this year IMO.

This has been one of the most active early days that I can remember. There are no big name QB or RBs involved this year but there are a rather high number of fantasy relative wideouts this year IMO.

yuup, plus there should be a few key trades...

every year now it seems that trades pickup more and more...

Agreed, although MIA "building their entire team" is a reach. Not sure what "then there is Al Davis" means-?

Not much, since I more or less knew what was going to be avail FA wise, which gets back to my point, ie there's less overall talent overall than most years, at least it seems that way to me.....esp at the "skill" positions (anyone who thinks Moss isn't signing with NE is IMO deluded).

Agreed, although MIA "building their entire team" is a reach. Not sure what "then there is Al Davis" means-?

Rome wasn't built in a day. Baby steps... You can't turn a 1-15 team into an 8-8 team overnight. Parcells is building a foundation to win 5-6 games... I'm not saying he's rebuilding them into a playoff contender, but the sheer volume of players shows they are rebuilding there entire team...

And my "Then there is Al Davis" refers to Al spending 90 million dollars on an injured but when healthy good lineman and an overpaid Gibril Wilson.

Not much, since I more or less knew what was going to be avail FA wise, which gets back to my point, ie there's less overall talent overall than most years, at least it seems that way to me.....esp at the "skill" positions (anyone who thinks Moss isn't signing with NE is IMO deluded).

A lot more trades have also gone through then previous years, and you may want to think again on Moss. If it was that cut and dry he would have already signed. remember, he was set to become a Packer, then was suddenly a Patriot. He worked for far under what he deserved last year, and isn't going to take that kind of pay cut again. Straight cash homey.

Rome wasn't built in a day. Baby steps... You can't turn a 1-15 team into an 8-8 team overnight. Parcells is building a foundation to win 5-6 games... I'm not saying he's rebuilding them into a playoff contender, but the sheer volume of players shows they are rebuilding there entire team...
I can't say I'm exactly dazzled by the likes of McCown and Wilford, but whatever. I don't deny that Parcells is sharp though, so who knows.

A lot more trades have also gone through then previous years,
Yeah like a 6th rounder for Williamson. :wacko: Again, my point is the talent level this year is weak.

and you may want to think again on Moss. If it was that cut and dry he would have already signed.
Nah they're just playing the back and forth on $ details. He wants serious money, but he's already sick rich and wants that ring more - and knows NE is easily his best bet to get it. Lord knows Favre won't get it to him in the playoffs as he much prefers guys w/the other-colored spamshirts. :D

Nah they're just playing the back and forth on $ details. He wants serious money, but he's already sick rich and wants that ring more - and knows NE is easily his best bet to get it. Lord knows Favre won't get it to him in the playoffs as he much prefers guys w/the other-colored spamshirts. :wacko:

I'm not a Packer fan. Or a big Farve fan either. But Tom Brady nutted up and didn't win Moss a Championship either. I can at least say the Packers have a easier road to the Super Bowl with Moss. Than Brady with Moss. They walked to the Super Bowl pretty much. But teams now know how to play them. Also lets not forget as much as people don't give Stallworth credit. Welker, Moss and Stallworth speed was WAY too much for most teams to handle. Now they will only have welker and Moss. Which means its slightly easier on the D. Also think about it. In the end people started to figure out how to slow them down. I believe if he goes to the Packers with them in 5 wr sets it would be something seriously sick to see. Think about it Moss, Driver, Jennies, That other pretty good rookie and Koren Robinson. Ok Double moss. Jennies to the house. Ok double both Moss and Jennenings, Driver kills you, Koren speed kills you, the rook out muscles you. It would be very interesting to see. But when it all said and done this may never happen.

I'm really surprised that I haven't seen any teams making a move for DJ Hackett so far. He may not have done much yet, but he's got the talent and potential to really help out a lot of teams (Minnesota, Tennessee, Washington, San Fran, etc.).

Rome wasn't built in a day. Baby steps... You can't turn a 1-15 team into an 8-8 team overnight.

I dare say that 8-8 is well within reach. Its not like the Bills or Jets inspire too much fear - are they currently better? Sure. But they aren't far enough ahead where they cannot leap-frogged this year.

I'm really surprised that I haven't seen any teams making a move for DJ Hackett so far.

I'm guessing the fact he can't go much more than several consecutive games without severely re-injuring the same ankle is driving his value down more than his agent hoped.

Yeah like a 6th rounder for Williamson. :wacko: Again, my point is the talent level this year is weak.

How about Shaun Rodgers, Jonathon Vilma, Corey Williams, and soon to be Lito Shepherd? Come on now, you're only looking at the moves that strengthen your point instead of looking at everything as a whole.

Nah they're just playing the back and forth on $ details. He wants serious money, but he's already sick rich and wants that ring more - and knows NE is easily his best bet to get it. Lord knows Favre won't get it to him in the playoffs as he much prefers guys w/the other-colored spamshirts. :D

If they were just playing back and forth it would have been worked out long ago. Why would Randy Moss call Culpepper? I'm not saying he won't sign a new deal in New England, but it's nowhere near as cut and dry as you seem to think it is.

I dare say that 8-8 is well within reach. Its not like the Bills or Jets inspire too much fear - are they currently better? Sure. But they aren't far enough ahead where they cannot leap-frogged this year.

Come on now Duchess, this team almost went winless last year. Winning seven games more than the previous year has been done how many times? Who exactly is going to lead them to 8 wins? And the Bills have gotten significantly stronger. Stroud, Mitchell, Poz returning, Trent Edwards maturation process... They've got a lot of things going in their direction. I think the Dolphins are moving in the right direction, for sure... I just don't thin 8-8 is very likely.

Come on now Duchess, this team almost went winless last year. Winning seven games more than the previous year has been done how many times? Who exactly is going to lead them to 8 wins? And the Bills have gotten significantly stronger. Stroud, Mitchell, Poz returning, Trent Edwards maturation process... They've got a lot of things going in their direction. I think the Dolphins are moving in the right direction, for sure... I just don't thin 8-8 is very likely.

I also dont think 8-8 is that far of a stretch....the phins lost something like 7 games by 3 points or less

but then again i was one of those crazy guys that thought Clev could surprise last yr too

Edited by keggerz

they could just as easilly go 3-13 but an 8-8 season is way reasonable in my estimation. Its not like I am saying that they are going to make playoffs.

as keg pointed out... many of the phin's games were lost by 3 points or less last year. the team was cursed with bad coaching. not only was their bad coaching - but the players didn't respect the coach. we also have crazy injuries - including our starting QB... our starting running back... our second string running back for a time... a handful of defensive backs... heck, I think that we went through 6 starting safeties alone.

How about Shaun Rodgers, Jonathon Vilma, Corey Williams, and soon to be Lito Shepherd? Come on now, you're only looking at the moves that strengthen your point instead of looking at everything as a whole.
I'm not saying there is no talent moving out there whatsoever, just the overall group is (at least) IMO one of the weaker ones in recent memory.

Having said that though, you guys are right in that the fur is really flying a lot early on - Turner and Crumpler just signed - damn this would really suck if DAL or NE ends up with McFadden.