[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Michael Turner is officially a Falcon!

Wolverines Fan

Hmm, as someone who invested a pretty penny in him in a dynasty league, I don't know what I think of this.
I think it's "pretty good" but could be a lot more, esp in a year or 2. I see him as Chestor Taylor-like, production-wise.

I don't think it's so easy to say which of Dunn or Norwood is SOL. What are their contract situations?

I really think that Dorsey, Ellis or Long could be the pick as well... Mike Smith's philosophy is to build a d line from inside out... Dorsey or Ellis could be his start at building back up... Jake Long is a franchise tackle, and those are hard to pass up.

Notice I didn't say anything about building a winner, just selling merchandise. :wacko:

I'm not sold on the ownership wanting much more than that.

Good signing.

Turner will help put bodies in the seats and sell some spamshirts. Drafting Ryan will help too.

Bodies in the seats? Is Turner that big of a deal outside of San Diego and FF circles? I don't see it.

Over 5 mil per year for a backup that hasn't shown much when it counted? If I'm an ATL fan, I'm not too happy about this one. Reminds me of the Deion Branch signing a little, although Branch was a proven (albeit overrated) performer.

Except that Deion Branch didn't have a ton of upside and physical ability like Turner...

Coming off of his Superbowl MVP performance?

Not that it's relevant to even argue, but I would say at that point in time Branch appeared to have more upside and physical ability than Turner does now.

I'm not saying I like Branch as a WR, or he proved to be amazing, or that I dislike Turner in any way - I'm simply stating I think it's an unreasonable argument.

As much as I like Turner, and have enjoyed watching him in the AFC West, he still has a lot to prove.

It's going to hard to convince people that being LT's backup wasn't a cushy job.

I wouldn't expect him to be a feature back anytime soon... but then again how many feature backs are there anymore?

Simply some thoughts.

Kp

Bodies in the seats? Is Turner that big of a deal outside of San Diego and FF circles? I don't see it.

Agreed.

While we as FF fans might realize the implications of this signing for the Falcon's offense, I don't think the average Falcon fan (or NFL fan for that matter) will see it as more than adding another backup RB to their squad.

A good pickup for the team, absolutely. But not the kind of "big name" effects you'd get from a proven Pro-Bowler.

McFadden will be great behind the Raiders' large offensive line. The bum Fargas had 1,000 yards in about 10 full games so I am sure a talent like McFadden will be amazing. Raiders are horrible but their O-line is not too shabby when rushing.

Edited by BIG SACK

Coming off of his Superbowl MVP performance?

Not that it's relevant to even argue, but I would say at that point in time Branch appeared to have more upside and physical ability than Turner does now.

I'm not saying I like Branch as a WR, or he proved to be amazing, or that I dislike Turner in any way - I'm simply stating I think it's an unreasonable argument.

As much as I like Turner, and have enjoyed watching him in the AFC West, he still has a lot to prove.

It's going to hard to convince people that being LT's backup wasn't a cushy job.

I wouldn't expect him to be a feature back anytime soon... but then again how many feature backs are there anymore?

Simply some thoughts.

Kp

Branch was huge in super bowls, but what was he doing in the regular season? Nothing big. He's not fast, He's not huge, He doesn't have great hands... Turner is 240 pounds and extremely fast. You can say it's an ureasonable argument, but it's not that far fetched. Why didn't the Patriots extend his deal? Because he was a system player that happened to have the best quarterback in the league throwing to him.

Branch was huge in super bowls, but what was he doing in the regular season? Nothing big. He's not fast, He's not huge, He doesn't have great hands... Turner is 240 pounds and extremely fast. You can say it's an ureasonable argument, but it's not that far fetched. Why didn't the Patriots extend his deal? Because he was a system player that happened to have the best quarterback in the league throwing to him.

To further strengthen my point, Branch had played four seasons with the pats, and the starter for the last three... During that time, never did he have more than 78 receptions for 998 yards and 5 touchdowns. His second best season was in his second year in which he had 57 receptions for 803 yards and 3 touchdowns...

Remember, those were numbers as a starter...

Kyle, is my argument really that unreasonable? You don't have to agree with it, but I think your dead wrong in saying it's unreasonable.

Per Fanball.com

Falcons: Dunn requests release from Falcons

The News

With the signing of Michael Turner, it's clear that the Falcons plan on moving forward without veteran Warrick Dunn. Dunn has requested his release from the team, according to SI.com. The team will almost surely honor his request.

Our View

Assuming the 33-year-old is released, SI considers Houston the favorite to sign Dunn because of Alex Gibbs, who was hired by the Texans in January. Gibbs was the o-line coach in Atlanta for three of Dunn's six seasons and will be implementing the zone-blocking scheme in Houston that Dunn was so successful in in Atlanta. Indianapolis, Dallas and Denver have also been mentioned as possible landing spot for the veteran.

Falcons: Dunn targeting Colts

The News

According to NFL Network's Adam Schefter, Falcon free agent Warrick Dunn is targeting the Colts as his team for the 2008 season.

Our View

Dunn would be a solid backup for third-year tailback Joseph Addai.

Falcons sign ex-Chargers running back Turner

Yahoo! Bookmarks

ATLANTA (Reuters) - The Atlanta Falcons have moved to upgrade their offense by agreeing to terms with explosive running back Michael Turner.

Turner spent the last four years with the San Diego Chargers, mostly backing up perennial Pro Bowler LaDainian Tomlinson.

“We are pleased to be able to add a very talented running back and a player who has produced at a high level in this League when given the opportunity,” Falcons general manager Thomas Dimitroff said on the team’s Web site (www.atlantafalcons.com).

“We think he’s ready to take the next step and have a more prominent role in an offense and we are happy he decided that opportunity is going to be here in Atlanta.”

In four seasons in San Diego, Turner rushed for 1,257 yards and six touchdowns while adding 71 receiving yards.

Turner also delivered three of San Diego’s longest 11 rushes in team history (83, 74 and 73 yards) and has a 5.5 yards per carry career average.

Atlanta finished last in the NFC South last season with a 4-12 record with their offense ranking 23rd in the 32-team NFL. <b>(without Vick look what happened)</b>

The 26-year-old Turner was signed as an unrestricted free agent.

In four seasons in San Diego, Turner rushed for 1,257 yards and six touchdowns while adding 71 receiving yards.

Turner also delivered three of San Diego’s longest 11 rushes in team history (83, 74 and 73 yards) and has a 5.5 yards per carry career average.

So, more than 1/6th of his career rushing production (and probably 1/2 of his career TD production) came on three carries?

Agreed.

While we as FF fans might realize the implications of this signing for the Falcon's offense, I don't think the average Falcon fan (or NFL fan for that matter) will see it as more than adding another backup RB to their squad.

A good pickup for the team, absolutely. But not the kind of "big name" effects you'd get from a proven Pro-Bowler.

On the face of it (as a Falcon fan), the Turner signing is kind of just 'meh'. Turner himself doesn't provide the optimism IMO, it's the move itself.

It really seems to me like a shift in priorities. Rather than making a flashy FA splash or taking a big name at a skill position in the draft, the move shows a more prudent approach. It's a pretty moderate contract considering the increasing cap limits... it puts Turner in the about the top half of RB contracts. Rather than sinking tons of cash into McFadden (if he fell to 3) and missing out out on prospects like Mendenhall or Stewart, it allows the team more flexibility in its draft day strategy... they can now go QB or DL or OL (even pre-Turner signing, these are more pressing needs than their need at RB) at 3 THEN follow up with more pressing needs than RB with their two 2nd rounders.

Edited by kingfish247

Yeah I was going to mention him and Dunn in my reply. They never really gave Norwood a chance... I mean, Dunn was reliable but by no means a game-changer. They thought Norwood could be a stud, but never gave him the opportunity to shine. Guess they knew/saw something we don't. Now, the question is, what happens to him? And Dunn?

Dunn is gone and free's up 3 mil. Norwood stays and gives Atlanta the "Thunder and lightning" package. I see Turner getting 18-22 carries and Norwood getting 8-12.

i like this move for ATL. Turner, at the very least, has lots of physical talent. we've seen him in action at the pro level.

why spend potentially big money on a rookie RB when you can get the Burner and save a pick in the draft? ...and Turner's apparently a good guy....no questions like you'd get with McFadden.

i think ATL can't go wrong with Jake Long or Dorsey. with Mike Smith there, my guess is that's where they'll go at #3. Matt Ryan might be a good one but Smith should know from his time in Jax that you don't need Peyton Manning to win.

Turner is not truly proven, but pretty much every time he's been given opportunity he's done well - granted most was backup/spot time stuff, but not always. It's a gamble ATL was willing to take and IMO not a bad one at all. Looks like they'd rather spend that high pick elsewhere and consider the RB position filled, which IMO makes sense.

The News

According to NFL Network's Adam Schefter, Falcon free agent Warrick Dunn is targeting the Colts as his team for the 2008 season.

Our View

Dunn would be a solid backup for third-year tailback Joseph Addai.

Hell yeah, although Keith was OK. My guess is he'd ask too much though, or ask for too long of a contract for a 33 YO RB.

Matt Ryan might be a good one but Smith should know from his time in Jax that you don't need Peyton Manning to win.

If they don't take Ryan they could wait and see who falls to the second, or potentially trade up into the bottom half of the first if they fall in love with Flacco...

My guess is he'd ask too much though, or ask for too long of a contract for a 33 YO RB.

Dunn isn't a guy that ever struck me as playing for cash. I think he just wants to win again, and Indy would be a great place to do that. That being said, if Tampa has interest, he'd go home.

Dunn isn't a guy that ever struck me as playing for cash. I think he just wants to win again, and Indy would be a great place to do that. That being said, if Tampa has interest, he'd go home.

I personally wouldn't mind Dunn coming to Indy. He'd do well, great character and give us a back up for Addai that can actually catch a ball.