[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Big Ben now the $102 million QB

DMD

The Steelers certainly put their money where there mouth is. This from a team that typically does not like to pay big for players. It is an 8 year deal with $36 million in guarantees.

Still not an elite QB, but he earned it this past season. Unfortunately, the market for QBs is so ridiculous right now that a good-but-not-spectacular QB will be getting paid big-time.

Agreed.

Pittsburgh is a run first team, and for them to be paying a QB like Big Ben that kind of money really reflects on the current quarterback market in the NFL.

He's 26 and threw for 32 touchdowns... That's right on the verge of elite if you ask me.

He also threw 18 TDs and 23 picks the year before... and didn't have a 20-TD season prior to '07. I like Ben and think that he's a rock-solid QB, but one season doesn't put him in the same category as Peyton and Brady.

Agreed.

Pittsburgh is a run first team, and for them to be paying a QB like Big Ben that kind of money really reflects on the current quarterback market in the NFL.

Exactly. Look at who the Steelers had as their QBs after Bradshaw. For God's sake keep Big Ben long term! Hopefully the $ doesn't go to his head, but I don't thing BB's that type of person.

Blank and McKay are to blame for the price tag. IIRC, this is pretty much what Ron Mexico's inaccurate, animal-abusing ass got a few years ago. No QB who can read defenses competently and throw a football accurately will settle for anything less from this point.

He's 26 and threw for 32 touchdowns... That's right on the verge of elite if you ask me.

Yeah, because they didn't trust Willie Parker enough to let him run it in. Despite being the 3rd best rushing offense, the Steelers were tied at 22nd in rushing TDs.

He also threw 18 TDs and 23 picks the year before... and didn't have a 20-TD season prior to '07. I like Ben and think that he's a rock-solid QB, but one season doesn't put him in the same category as Peyton and Brady.

You mean the year that he had the motorcycle accident, his appendix removed? Yeah, I'd say he had a bad year. At the same time I don't think he's going to consistantly throw for 30+ TDs either. But what would you have the Steelers do? Go back to the post Bradshaw QB search and get your Cliff Stoudts, Mark Malones, Bubby Bristers, and Kordell Stewarts to lead your team? Wait till Peyton's gone, you'll see what I mean.

I am happy that the Steelers signed him to a long term contract, but like Skippy, I didn't think the price tag would be so high.

Peyton and Brady are in the category above elite

That doesn't make any sense.

I think he's there with Palmer, Brees and Romo.

Maybe Romo, but the former two are much more accomplished than Ben. I'd also put Hasselbeck and maybe even McNabb into that category.

You mean the year that he had the motorcycle accident, his appendix removed? Yeah, I'd say he had a bad year.

Yeah, and he was pretty f'n bad in the Super Bowl as well, before the accident and the appendectomy.

At the same time I don't think he's going to consistantly throw for 30+ TDs either. But what would you have the Steelers do? Go back to the post Bradshaw QB search and get your Cliff Stoudts, Mark Malones, Bubby Bristers, and Kordell Stewarts to lead your team? Wait till Peyton's gone, you'll see what I mean.

I believe I was pretty clear in stating that Ben's a pretty good QB, and that the Steelers were forced to over-pay for him because of the current QB market.

Edited by Bill Swerski