[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Walker gets huge deal from OAK

BeeR

Berrian has two good knee's.

True, but Berrian hasn't produced much, he still doesn't have anyone on the other side to take pressure off him ,and he still has a crappy QB throwing to him, so what are his chances of earning his equally massive contract?

Walker may or may not be healthy next season, but it's clear the Raiders have to overpay to get free agents in at this point.

The only reciever worthy of a rotaion on their roster is Ronald Curry, the other guys are Johnny Higgins, John Madsen, and the immortal Tim Dwight, so they took a chance on a guy that has produced before... probably the best of what's left out there other than in trade.

I guess they could have given all that money to Bryant Johnson or DJ Hackett to drag their asses into Oakland.

There just aren't many options out there, and the Raiders have nothing at WR. to help the 60 million dollar man.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i mean, it is definitely possible that walker kicks ass and russell to walker becomes a combo to fear. wouldn't totally surprise me (also wouldn't surprise me if walker played 3 games this year and caught 8 balls). but i just have to think al overpaid by $4-5 million per year, minimum. did walker have other offers anywhere close? i highly doubt it.

How much did Al pay Jeff George again?

I actually feel bad for Raiders fans... Not at all trying to piss you guys off. I honestly have more respect for Raiders fans than almost any other organization in sports... What you guys go through on a year to year basis is... Well... horrible.

don't feel sorry for us. Sure, this is a bad time... the worst time as a fan... but there are some hard corp fans of teams out there who put up with a lot more over a longer period of time. Lions fans are some of the best in the league, as are Cardinal fans.

That said, I gotta say I don't remember a single off season as painful as this one so far. Between the tons of money being tossed at a mediocre FA class at best and this insane drama with the best coach we have had in 5 years, I feel like JOB and Al is testing my faith (course, he probably believes that as well).

From PFT.com...interesting take on the structure of the Walker deal...essentially if he doesnt work out in 2008 (ie...still problems with his knee) they could cut him next year with a much smaller cap hit than assumed.

POSTED 10:34 p.m. EST, March 5, 2008

RAIDERS GET DEFENSIVE ABOUT SPENDING

There's a perception in league circles that the Raiders are overpaying free agents in order to lure players who might not otherwise be inclined to play football for a team with a well-greased revolving door at the head coaching position.

And so the Raiders are putting the word out that the deals signed by some of the team's new free agents aren't as strong as advertised.

As Jerry McDonald of the Contra Costa Times points out, it's virtually unprecedented for an NFL team to correct the record regarding the published details for player contract -- but not for the reason McDonald articulates. Though we agree with McDonald's assessment that the perception of big spending could help the Raiders lure other players, teams typically are reluctant to throw water on the numbers that make it to the press because they're happy to let the player think he got a better deal than he really has. If the team publicly undermines the player's contract, the player might acquire a chronic case of stick-in-butt disease early in the relationship.

As to receiver Javon Walker, the Raiders contend that his reported $16 million guarantee is made up of a $6 million signing bonus, a $5 million base salary in 2008, and a $5 million base salary in 2008. Some agents would argue that this money is as a practical matter guaranteed because the Raiders aren't likely to cut Walker after only one season.

But we disagree with that. Avoiding $5 million in base salary and carrying $5 million in dead money next year is, in our view, a wash. If Walker doesn't work out this year, we think the Raiders wouldn't hesitate to cut him.

So the actual guarantee for Walker is $6 million and the practical guarantee is $11 million.

Also, the Raiders contend that the deal given to tackle Kwame Harris, reported as three years and $16 million, is actually a one-year, $3 million deal.

Meanwhile, McDonald suggests that the status of head coach Lane Kiffin is still up in the air. Kiffin quotes appear in none of the team releases regarding the new signings, and there was no expression of thanks for him when the team parted ways with nine-year veteran Barry Sims.

Edited by Return Of S&B

From PFT.com...interesting take on the structure of the Walker deal...essentially if he doesnt work out in 2008 (ie...still problems with his knee) they could cut him next year with a much smaller cap hit than assumed.

POSTED 10:34 p.m. EST, March 5, 2008

RAIDERS GET DEFENSIVE ABOUT SPENDING

There's a perception in league circles that the Raiders are overpaying free agents in order to lure players who might not otherwise be inclined to play football for a team with a well-greased revolving door at the head coaching position.

And so the Raiders are putting the word out that the deals signed by some of the team's new free agents aren't as strong as advertised.

As Jerry McDonald of the Contra Costa Times points out, it's virtually unprecedented for an NFL team to correct the record regarding the published details for player contract -- but not for the reason McDonald articulates. Though we agree with McDonald's assessment that the perception of big spending could help the Raiders lure other players, teams typically are reluctant to throw water on the numbers that make it to the press because they're happy to let the player think he got a better deal than he really has. If the team publicly undermines the player's contract, the player might acquire a chronic case of stick-in-butt disease early in the relationship.

As to receiver Javon Walker, the Raiders contend that his reported $16 million guarantee is made up of a $6 million signing bonus, a $5 million base salary in 2008, and a $5 million base salary in 2008. Some agents would argue that this money is as a practical matter guaranteed because the Raiders aren't likely to cut Walker after only one season.

But we disagree with that. Avoiding $5 million in base salary and carrying $5 million in dead money next year is, in our view, a wash. If Walker doesn't work out this year, we think the Raiders wouldn't hesitate to cut him.

So the actual guarantee for Walker is $6 million and the practical guarantee is $11 million.

Also, the Raiders contend that the deal given to tackle Kwame Harris, reported as three years and $16 million, is actually a one-year, $3 million deal.

Meanwhile, McDonald suggests that the status of head coach Lane Kiffin is still up in the air. Kiffin quotes appear in none of the team releases regarding the new signings, and there was no expression of thanks for him when the team parted ways with nine-year veteran Barry Sims.

And now if Walker does come back to his former self, he'll hold out for a bigger deal.

• 2 weeks later...
The Raiders have lost their minds.

Since last Thursday, the Raiders have doled out more than $144 million in contracts to defensive tackle Tommy Kelly ($50.1 million), safety Gibril Wilson ($39 million), and Walker ($55 million).

:wacko:

and now Hall.

And now if Walker does come back to his former self, he'll hold out for a bigger deal.

Not so sure about that. In Green Bay he really was underpaid. He didn't handle matters well, but I never saw him as greedy.