[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Crazy Al Davis' next move?

budlitebrad

I say he picks DMC and ties up a huge amount of money at the HB position. They have Fargas, Bush, and Rhodes (just restructured his contract) so it makes the most sense. None of the remaining draft picks will be OL or DL.

If that doesn't get Kiffin to quit, I don't know what will.

What's your prediction?

I say he picks DMC and ties up a huge amount of money at the HB position. They have Fargas, Bush, and Rhodes (just restructured his contract) so it makes the most sense. None of the remaining draft picks will be OL or DL.

If that doesn't get Kiffin to quit, I don't know what will.

What's your prediction?

Maybe he checks in the FDSB forum, pays his dues so he stops getting fined, and then maybe he decides to answer his PMs?

Oh wait that isnt Al Davis... :wacko:

Maybe he checks in the FDSB forum, pays his dues so he stops getting fined, and then maybe he decides to answer his PMs?

Oh wait that isnt Al Davis... :wacko:

Yep, he has time to post all day to the general forum, but doesnt have time to check in the FDSB forum to tell us he's out until now....real class :D

Yep, he has time to post all day to the general forum, but doesnt have time to check in the FDSB forum to tell us he's out until now....real class :wacko:

1. I really don't have to explain myself to you.

2. If you're gonna try and take a jab at me, put it in the right forum and don't hijack the thread.

Edited by budlitebrad

Here you go...

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/11933-N...McFadden-050308

Why the Oakland Raiders Should Draft Darren McFadden

Decisions and Drama:

I know it is easy to bag on Oakland.

They've suffered in futility since the end of their Super Bowl run in 2002, in which starters Tory James, Jon Richie, Rod Coleman and Eric Barton all left in free agency, and of course, the juicer, Bill Romanowski attacked a teammate.

In and after 2003, Al Davis traded starting CB Philip Buchanon and fired Coach Bill Callahan, and hard to deal with the Charles Woodson insurrection.

In 2004, Kerry Collins and Robert Gallery were seen as saviors, while Al Davis hired retread coach, Norv Turner.

In 2005, Randy Moss and LaMont Jordan were seen as the saviors, and yet two starters were traded in LB Napoleon Harris and TE Doug Jolley.

Again in 2006, the coach was fired and the savior was seen as coach Art Shell, but that just alienated WR Jerry Porter; while Shell brought in an offensive coordinator who was running a bed-and-breakfast in Idaho--in all irony because their offense sure was sleepy. Ba-da-bing!

Continuing on, in 2007 Al Davis reversed course and hired a college assistant named Lane Kiffin to be head coach, in a move that appeared insane.

Well, until Al Davis tried to force Kiffin's resignation--things were looking up in Raider-land.

Many bad streaks were ended in 2007 while the Raiders often led the game in the 4th quarter after overcoming many costly mistakes by the quarterbacks (Culpepper, McCown), even though they'd lose after allowing a big play or not being able to make the big play.

I think though, that the Davis-Kiffin situation was probably cooked-up by the media. I don't think that the media is necessarily "biased" against Oakland, but that the media likes to pick-on the bottom dwellers because it creates tension between the winning teams and losing teams, so it's really just a business thing to sell papers.

The Offense:

If Oakland commits to a run-first offense as they did in 2007, then the speed of new WR Javon Walker should be enough for JaMarcus Russell to connect on 9-12 bombs for TDs in 2008 and maybe 800 yards--while the clutch catching of Ronald Curry and Zach Miller should help move the chains.

Meanwhile, the signing of OL Kwame Harris intrigues me. Harris has been a flop at tackle since the San Francisco 49ers selected him in the 1st round of the 2003 NFL Draft.

However, the Raiders have a very versatile offensive-linemen in Cooper Carlisle, who played right guard in 2007 and can play each spot on the line (except center).

Well, if Kwame Harris can move inside to play right-guard, then that would free-up Carlisle to replace Barry Sims at left-tackle, and would leave only the center position as a question mark with Jeremy Newberry as an unsigned free-agent.

The Oakland line has been mightily maligned in recent history, but they did do a good job of blocking for the runningbacks, LaMont Jordan, Justin Fargas, and Dominic Rhodes in 2007 under the offense of coordinator Greg Knapp, whom coordinated league-leading rushing with the Atlanta Falcons.

The Defense:

Gibril Wilson deserves credit for being part of a defense that denied perfection for the best offense in NFL history.

That is more important than the actual ring. The Raiders already had a stingy secondary that would be even better if the defensive-line was able to put more pressure on the backfield.

The secondary though, just got better. With corners, Nnamdi Asomugha, Stanford Routt, Chris Carr, and Fabian Washington--they are at least three deep.

Meanwhile, Gibril Wilson and Michael Huff appear to be the future starters at safety with Stuart Schweigert and Hiram Eugene as depth.

Huff has not been a huge playmaker yet, but neither was Nnamdi Asomugha until 2006 (after the Raiders selected him in the first round of the 2003 draft).

Before that, Asomugha was considered a bust. Now he's reminiscent of Hall of Famer Mel Blount from the Steel Curtain defenses.

2008 will be Michael Huff's third year in the league, so I want to see what he can do.

Furthermore, between LBs Thomas Howard and Kirk Morrison, the Raiders appear to have a dynamic duo at LB for years to come. The problem is the strongside linebacker spot.

The former first rounder, Robert Thomas, just is not cutting it.

I hope that Oakland will wise-up and sign LB Landon Johnson away from Cincinnati.

Johnson's durability, position flexibility, and tackle production would more than likely sure-up that gaping hole on the strongside.

As for the defensive-line, yes, the Raiders overpaid to keep DT Tommy Kelly. In their defense however, if they did not overpay him, someone would have because he was the top untagged DT.

Look at the 49ers for instance. They paid 43 million to DE Justin Smith and his glorious two sacks in 2007.

The market will overpay some players. Plus the cap is higher and the dollar is weaker. At least though, Tommy Kelly was part of a good defense in 2006.

Nevertheless, the left side of the DL is a gaping void. I hope that the Raiders will sign DE Bobby McCray away from J-Ville as an insurance policy, but 2007 rookie DE Jay Richardson showed some promise.

In short, the DL badly needs help, but there IS a way around it. Keep the defense off the field, so they do not wear down.

In the last few seasons, the Raider defense has been very talented but the offense has been erratic which has forced the defense to stay on the field longer and give up critical plays.

Keep them off the field! That is often easier said than done, but there is a way this year.

The Breakdown:

The AFC West is probably the most winnable division in the AFC right now.

The South is loaded, the North is loaded, and the East features New England.

Meanwhile, the West has three teams in transition: KC, Denver, Oakland.

Oakland is probably in better shape than KC and Denver right now. Moreover, in 2007, Oakland was not losing by much. They would often need to overcome a high amount of mistakes by the QB, only to lose in the 4th quarter.

Save for a deep pass to Dwayne Bowe and an iced kicker, the Raiders would have swept KC and Denver in 2007.

Therefore, the biggest foe is San Diego. A triangle offense of runners, Darren McFadden, Justin Fargas, and Dominic Rhodes, would be a nice way to wear down the San Diego front seven, which is the heart of their D.

Moreover, the Chargers have only gotten worse by releasing FB Lorenzo Neal and S Marlon McCree and letting CB Drayton Florence go to J-Ville.

Not terribly worse, BUT they are not as good right now as they were in 2007. So with LT nearing 30 who knows, maybe Oakland, following the Minnesota blueprint, can steal the division as 2008's dark horse with a guy like Darren McFadden.

Here you go...

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/11933-N...McFadden-050308

Why the Oakland Raiders Should Draft Darren McFadden

Decisions and Drama:

I know it is easy to bag on Oakland.

They've suffered in futility since the end of their Super Bowl run in 2002, in which starters Tory James, Jon Richie, Rod Coleman and Eric Barton all left in free agency, and of course, the juicer, Bill Romanowski attacked a teammate.

In and after 2003, Al Davis traded starting CB Philip Buchanon and fired Coach Bill Callahan, and hard to deal with the Charles Woodson insurrection.

In 2004, Kerry Collins and Robert Gallery were seen as saviors, while Al Davis hired retread coach, Norv Turner.

In 2005, Randy Moss and LaMont Jordan were seen as the saviors, and yet two starters were traded in LB Napoleon Harris and TE Doug Jolley.

Again in 2006, the coach was fired and the savior was seen as coach Art Shell, but that just alienated WR Jerry Porter; while Shell brought in an offensive coordinator who was running a bed-and-breakfast in Idaho--in all irony because their offense sure was sleepy. Ba-da-bing!

Continuing on, in 2007 Al Davis reversed course and hired a college assistant named Lane Kiffin to be head coach, in a move that appeared insane.

Well, until Al Davis tried to force Kiffin's resignation--things were looking up in Raider-land.

Many bad streaks were ended in 2007 while the Raiders often led the game in the 4th quarter after overcoming many costly mistakes by the quarterbacks (Culpepper, McCown), even though they'd lose after allowing a big play or not being able to make the big play.

I think though, that the Davis-Kiffin situation was probably cooked-up by the media. I don't think that the media is necessarily "biased" against Oakland, but that the media likes to pick-on the bottom dwellers because it creates tension between the winning teams and losing teams, so it's really just a business thing to sell papers.

The Offense:

If Oakland commits to a run-first offense as they did in 2007, then the speed of new WR Javon Walker should be enough for JaMarcus Russell to connect on 9-12 bombs for TDs in 2008 and maybe 800 yards--while the clutch catching of Ronald Curry and Zach Miller should help move the chains.

Meanwhile, the signing of OL Kwame Harris intrigues me. Harris has been a flop at tackle since the San Francisco 49ers selected him in the 1st round of the 2003 NFL Draft.

However, the Raiders have a very versatile offensive-linemen in Cooper Carlisle, who played right guard in 2007 and can play each spot on the line (except center).

Well, if Kwame Harris can move inside to play right-guard, then that would free-up Carlisle to replace Barry Sims at left-tackle, and would leave only the center position as a question mark with Jeremy Newberry as an unsigned free-agent.

The Oakland line has been mightily maligned in recent history, but they did do a good job of blocking for the runningbacks, LaMont Jordan, Justin Fargas, and Dominic Rhodes in 2007 under the offense of coordinator Greg Knapp, whom coordinated league-leading rushing with the Atlanta Falcons.

The Defense:

Gibril Wilson deserves credit for being part of a defense that denied perfection for the best offense in NFL history.

That is more important than the actual ring. The Raiders already had a stingy secondary that would be even better if the defensive-line was able to put more pressure on the backfield.

The secondary though, just got better. With corners, Nnamdi Asomugha, Stanford Routt, Chris Carr, and Fabian Washington--they are at least three deep.

Meanwhile, Gibril Wilson and Michael Huff appear to be the future starters at safety with Stuart Schweigert and Hiram Eugene as depth.

Huff has not been a huge playmaker yet, but neither was Nnamdi Asomugha until 2006 (after the Raiders selected him in the first round of the 2003 draft).

Before that, Asomugha was considered a bust. Now he's reminiscent of Hall of Famer Mel Blount from the Steel Curtain defenses.

2008 will be Michael Huff's third year in the league, so I want to see what he can do.

Furthermore, between LBs Thomas Howard and Kirk Morrison, the Raiders appear to have a dynamic duo at LB for years to come. The problem is the strongside linebacker spot.

The former first rounder, Robert Thomas, just is not cutting it.

I hope that Oakland will wise-up and sign LB Landon Johnson away from Cincinnati.

Johnson's durability, position flexibility, and tackle production would more than likely sure-up that gaping hole on the strongside.

As for the defensive-line, yes, the Raiders overpaid to keep DT Tommy Kelly. In their defense however, if they did not overpay him, someone would have because he was the top untagged DT.

Look at the 49ers for instance. They paid 43 million to DE Justin Smith and his glorious two sacks in 2007.

The market will overpay some players. Plus the cap is higher and the dollar is weaker. At least though, Tommy Kelly was part of a good defense in 2006.

Nevertheless, the left side of the DL is a gaping void. I hope that the Raiders will sign DE Bobby McCray away from J-Ville as an insurance policy, but 2007 rookie DE Jay Richardson showed some promise.

In short, the DL badly needs help, but there IS a way around it. Keep the defense off the field, so they do not wear down.

In the last few seasons, the Raider defense has been very talented but the offense has been erratic which has forced the defense to stay on the field longer and give up critical plays.

Keep them off the field! That is often easier said than done, but there is a way this year.

The Breakdown:

The AFC West is probably the most winnable division in the AFC right now.

The South is loaded, the North is loaded, and the East features New England.

Meanwhile, the West has three teams in transition: KC, Denver, Oakland.

Oakland is probably in better shape than KC and Denver right now. Moreover, in 2007, Oakland was not losing by much. They would often need to overcome a high amount of mistakes by the QB, only to lose in the 4th quarter.

Save for a deep pass to Dwayne Bowe and an iced kicker, the Raiders would have swept KC and Denver in 2007.

Therefore, the biggest foe is San Diego. A triangle offense of runners, Darren McFadden, Justin Fargas, and Dominic Rhodes, would be a nice way to wear down the San Diego front seven, which is the heart of their D.

Moreover, the Chargers have only gotten worse by releasing FB Lorenzo Neal and S Marlon McCree and letting CB Drayton Florence go to J-Ville.

Not terribly worse, BUT they are not as good right now as they were in 2007. So with LT nearing 30 who knows, maybe Oakland, following the Minnesota blueprint, can steal the division as 2008's dark horse with a guy like Darren McFadden.

Wow. Talk about homer-coloured glasses. Lorenzo Neal was 37. I hardly think losing him is going to hurt. Florence lost his starting job anyway. The Raiders will finish last again, although KC should challenge them for that. Russell looked pretty rough last year, so thinking that he can lead the team to a division win is pretty crazy. And the "speed of Javon Walker"? The guy who needs microfracture surgery? Yeah, he'll catch allot of long bombs. :wacko:

Charles Rogers. $20 million guaranteed.

Unfair comparison. Oakland wasnt the only team that wanted him. He was supposedly the best WR that draft from what I recall, and any other team that woulda drafted him would have given him that much.,

Here you go......

WOW! :D

Not terribly worse, BUT they are not as good right now as they were in 2007. So with LT nearing 30 who knows, maybe Oakland, following the Minnesota blueprint, can steal the division as 2008's dark horse with a guy like Darren McFadden. :brew:

In other words... 5-11 with some good breaks. yawn:

D-line and outside LBs suck, everyone runs on them so the "stingy" 2ndary is not challenged and looks better than it really is. Those two dogs in the middle are a good starting point. NASTY! :D I like them. :D

O-line sucks and are still looking for a combination of guys, many of whom wouldn't start on a lot of other teams. Whichever personnel group they go with, they will have to grow together as a line, and that takes at least six to eight games. They ran early last year, until they started playing better teams. A piecemeal offense without any real hope of success this year. Gallery was a devastating flop. I was praying that the Chargers would draft him, but that is why I'm not a GM (neither should old Al either anymore I guess :D ).

As for the Chargers being "not as good", you are right. They are better. Florence was no longer starting and was not going to get starter money to ride the pine. They have Paul Oliver in the wings who many projected as a first day pick they got from the supplemental draft and has had a year in the system to grow and learn. McCree kept getting burned and Weddel is an upgrade. Derek Smith comes in as outstanding LB depth as a FA. Lo Neal is a great guy and solid FB who had is role greatly reduced in the O last year. His replacement is a better runner and catcher, younger and just as solid a blocker. Once again, an upgrade in terms of versatility for the scheme. Coming into year two, Buster Davis augments and offense featuring VJax, Chambers, a returning Eric Parker and what's that TE's name??? Rivers will be rolling into year three as a starter. and AJ Smith has another draft to build depth while returning 21 starters (Weddle is 22) that were a boo boo or two away from the Super Bowl.

I agree that it is a weak division at the moment, but pulling Minnesota, is just funny/deluded. But, there is always the HOPE that a new season brings, and in the Raiders case, another seaon of hope dashed on the rocks because of a senile owner.

(Now, some Raider fan will post something about how they have won every Super Bowl since 1827 and that the Chagers are the only team in the division to never win one :wacko: )

:wacko: I've been wondering for awhile if AD's success out of the gate is going to artificially inflate McFadden's draft value.

Now, some Raider fan will post something about how they have won every Super Bowl since 1827 and that the Chagers are the only team in the division to never win one

Raiders

5 Superbowl Appearances

3 Superbowl Wins

Broncos

6 Superbowl Appearances

2 Superbowl Wins

Chiefs

2 Superbowl Appearances

1 Superbowl Win

Chargers

1 Superbowl Appearance

0 SUPERBOWL WINS....hurts doesnt it :wacko:

Until proven otherwise, the Chargers will always be the red-headed stepchild of the AFC West...just messing with you Boog :D

(Now, some Raider fan will post something about how they have won every Super Bowl since 1827 and that the Chagers are the only team in the division to never win one

It's amusing how it's always YOU who mentions this first, that SD has been a major post season disapointment their entire NFL existance!

:wacko:

It's amusing how it's always YOU who mentions this first, that SD has been a major post season disapointment their entire NFL existance!

:brew:

Kinda takes the wind out of your sails, don't it?!?! :D If I didn't say it then you would, always, like a broken record. :D

It is easy pickins' getting y'all to admit to living in the past while I can look forward to the future. :wacko:

From PFT

RAIDERS SIGN ANOTHER

Posted by Mike Florio on March 12, 2008, 6:15 p.m.

The Oakland Raiders’ offseason assault on the free-agent market continues.

According to Adam Schefter of NFL Network, the Raiders have agreed to terms with receiver Drew Carter, formerly of the Carolina Panthers. Terms are not yet known.

Carter was a fifth-round draft pick of the Panthers in 2004. He started seven games in 2007, catching 38 passes for 517 yards and four touchdowns — all career highs.

Kinda takes the wind out of your sails, don't it?!?! :D If I didn't say it then you would, always, like a broken record. :D

It is easy pickins' getting y'all to admit to living in the past while I can look forward to the future. :wacko:

The irony is that it is you who becomes the broken record, except instead of that record being a recording of past franchise success, yours just keeps playing the yearly failures of the Charger franchise.

Boy, you walked into that one. :brew:

The irony is that it is you who becomes the broken record, except instead of that record being a recording of past franchise success, yours just keeps playing the yearly failures of the Charger franchise.

Boy, you walked into that one. :D

Or it clearly defines the difference between blind, delusional homerism (you), and a realistic perspective on what priotity level the success of my favorite football team takes in determining my own self-worth (me). It is clearly a boring rivalry until I remeber how goofy the Raider Nation can be. Then it is just funny. :D

Enjoy being personally devistated with a joke of a franchis again THIS year! :brew:

Chargers, nine straight wins back to 2003 over Choakland. Total Score SD - 253 - CHOAK - 114. Score average 28.1 - 12.6 . Highest/lowest points scored, SD 42/21 , CHOAK 17/ZERO (in their house :D ) .

Yeah, good luck with that pullin' a Vikings thingy this year! :wacko: