[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

With Favre gone, NFC North QBs are true bottom feeders again

MTSuper7

Look at this list of lovely talent and their respective 2007 stats:

Jon Kitna (18TD, 20INTs in 16 games)

Tarvaris Jackson (9TD, 12INTs in 12 games)

Aaron Rodgers (1TD, 0INTs in 2 games)

Kyle Orton (3TDs and 2 INTs in 3 starts)

When is the last time a division had such a horrible collection of starting QBs? And why is it always the NFC North? Before Favre, the starting QBs in the NFC Central were as follows (1990 stats):

Rich Gannon (16TD, 16INT season)

Vinny Testaverde (17TD, 18INT season)

Jim Harbaugh (10TD, 6INT season)

Don Majkowski (10TD, 12INT season)

Rodney Peete (13TD, 8INT season)

In 1991, sub out Majkowski for Mike Tomczak and Peete for Erik Kramer and you still have overall garbage. Favre's arrival in 1992 began to shift things, and the NFC Central QB play hit a peak in 1995:

Brett Favre - (38TD, 13INT)

Scott MItchell (32TD, 12 INT)

Erik Kramer (29TD, 10INT)

Warren Moon (33TD, 14INT)

Trent Dilfer (4TD, 18INT - ok, he sucked, but everyone else ruled)

Isn't it hard to imagine that same collection of teams (GB, Chi, Det, Min) ever averaging 33TD passes and 12 INTs as a group again? Anyway, just food for thought on a Friday morning with not much else to do. Enjoy your day, huddlers!!! :wacko:

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not sure how you can call Rodgers a bottom feeder when there is so little history so far. He showed some moxy against DAL in DAL this year after favre dug GB a hole & then got hurt. He's been brought along slowly & has had time to study the game & get good reps in preseason & practice - a rarity in today's NFL.

While and no one else in their right mind expects Rodgers to make everyone forget Favre, he's got the earmarks of being a good QB.

Not sure how you can call Rodgers a bottom feeder when there is so little history so far. He showed some moxy against DAL in DAL this year after favre dug GB a hole & then got hurt. He's been brought along slowly & has had time to study the game & get good reps in preseason & practice - a rarity in today's NFL.

While and no one else in their right mind expects Rodgers to make everyone forget Favre, he's got the earmarks of being a good QB.

I don't disagree with your assessment on Aaron Rodgers. I'm putting Rodgers in the bottom feeder category because he doesn't have any track record which would either improve or reduce the overall quality of QB in the NFC North. I'm not singling him out as much as grouping him together with Orton, Kitna and Jackson and collectively calling them bottom feeders when compared to the QB quality of every other division in the NFL. I'm speculating entirely on how this group will likely play in 2008 with what information I have now. Plus, history is on the side of the NFC North / Central generally having suck at QB.

I don't disagree with your assessment on Aaron Rodgers. I'm putting Rodgers in the bottom feeder category because he doesn't have any track record which would either improve or reduce the overall quality of QB in the NFC North. I'm not singling him out as much as grouping him together with Orton, Kitna and Jackson and collectively calling them bottom feeders when compared to the QB quality of every other division in the NFL. I'm speculating entirely on how this group will likely play in 2008 with what information I have now. Plus, history is on the side of the NFC North / Central generally having suck at QB.

:wacko:

Fair enough.

alot of hand off's and running of the ball coming :wacko:

I don't think so. Rogers handled the multi receiver set game plan well in the Dallas game. He could have won that game had they not been so far behind.

The injuries concern me and he has no history, but he could perform. Wait and see. He could be another Hasselbeck.

I don't think so. Rogers handled the multi receiver set game plan well in the Dallas game. He could have won that game had they not been so far behind.

The injuries concern me and he has no history, but he could perform. Wait and see. He could be another Hasselbeck.

Tim?

Look at this list of lovely talent and their respective 2007 stats:

When is the last time a division had such a horrible collection of starting QBs? And why is it always the NFC North? Before Favre, the starting QBs in the NFC Central were as follows (1990 stats):

Ah...don't forget about the years Moss was around. 1998 was the year they broke the all time scoring record. Culpepper had 40 some TD's in 2004. It goes in streaks and I don't think it is limited to the NFC north. Were just in a down turn now. Aaron Rodgers should know that offense inside and out by now. If he has the skills and doesn't panic, he should do ok.

That would be my biggest concern right now. We should sign a Vet to sit behind him. I've heard rumblings of Mark Brunell and Trent Green so far.

That would be awesome...

That would be my biggest concern right now. We should sign a Vet to sit behind him. I've heard rumblings of Mark Brunell and Trent Green so far.

If I had my choice, I'd take Green, because I think he has a little left in the tank, and he could mentor Rodgers... I still like Brunell's ability to mentor as well.

That would be awesome...

If I had my choice, I'd take Green, because I think he has a little left in the tank, and he could mentor Rodgers... I still like Brunell's ability to mentor as well.

If you are worried about injuries then why do you want Brunell or Green? can either guy play? I don't think so. I would prefer a vet that won't think he is batman (Green) after a sack or one that is 2-years from medicare.

If you are worried about injuries then why do you want Brunell or Green? can either guy play? I don't think so. I would prefer a vet that won't think he is batman (Green) after a sack or one that is 2-years from medicare.

Predicting what TT will do is usually a waste of time. I don't exoect either to come in.

The guy with the worst QB rating in NFL history is 3-0 against Brett Favre and the Packers?

I never would have guessed.

Sure you would. :wacko:

He only plays when the rest of the team is playing well. They did sign Rex Grossman though.

Packers salary cap increases.

March 7, 2008

Written by Craig Phephles - PackerChatters Staff

Brett's retirement obviously affects the Packers in many ways...but from a salary cap perspective, the 2008 cap significantly increases -- net gain of $11.03m ($35m total available). Although it also brings into play Article XXIV, Section 5: Minimum Team Salary which is 86.4% of the $116.729m salary cap, I don't see that being a problem. It'll be interesting to see how much the Packers carry forward into the 2009 cap...

Brady Poppinga's base went from $520k to $927k (probable escalator clause).

Whilst the NFC North QBs are, shall we say, shotty, the AFC North doesn't have much better of a crew. They are just higher paid.

Are you serious?

Ben Roethlisberger and Carson Palmer are pretty awesome. A tier below Brady and Manning. Derek Anderson looks better than the best NFC North qb...