[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

What is the main reason why Fantasy Titles are won?

Guest Chappy

Winning Fantasy Titles.  

89 members have voted

1. 1. Which reason plays the most intrical part of winning a Fantasy Title?

• Solid drafting.
    • Key FA acquisitions and trades.
    • Starting Lineup management.
    • Luck.
    • Puddy. (don't know who he is but he's always a poll option)
    • All of the above.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

IMO, a strong draft ,where not only starters are drafted, but depth as well if your league allows the roster spots. Having a keen eye towards FA/Waiver wire, and constantly looking for that upgrade. I encompass trades in that bucket. Having dependable resources (ie The Huddle). ...and the final bucket is luck.......but you have to help make some of your own luck.......

And then I throw it all out the window for reasons like this.

This guy in our 10 team local with 10 starters 10 reserves walks into hOOTers ( we had our most recent draft there. cool expierence. Not only sight wise but all the other customers where chanting the picks) with a 4 month old paper. A paper..... we are all pluggin in our computers and what not....on top of that the paper or reference sheet has two inaccurate listings....has a moderate draft...makes 3 WW pickups all year........wins the championship and the money.......2nd yr in our league.......

Now if that ain't luck...........

:wacko:

Guest Chappy

Many solid points were made here in regard to luck playing the most key role. About 5 years ago my brother joined my local league at the last minute because of another owner having to drop out. My brother had never played FF before and figured he'd just be along for the ride/learning experience. I handed him a cheatsheet (my mistake :wacko: ) and he went on to win the league with basically the team he drafted as he wasn't to keen on making FA moves. He has been in the league ever since and has only been in the Playoffs one other time. The more knowledgeable and prepared he's gotten the less successful he's been. That first year, it was all luck for him as he didn't even know half the players on the cheatsheet.

Many solid points were made here in regard to luck playing the most key role. About 5 years ago my brother joined my local league at the last minute because of another owner having to drop out. My brother had never played FF before and figured he'd just be along for the ride/learning experience. I handed him a cheatsheet (my mistake :wacko: ) and he went on to win the league with basically the team he drafted as he wasn't to keen on making FA moves. He has been in the league ever since and has only been in the Playoffs one other time. The more knowledgeable and prepared he's gotten the less successful he's been. That first year, it was all luck for him as he didn't even know half the players on the cheatsheet.

I am sure there are 1000 stories like this out there, but that's an entire different link......

I have to agree that luck plays the wildcard......I feel preparing, being active, and following the game, and applying that to FF, has always made for sucessful management....A team that is always in contention.... but to often then not it seems that luck always makes a run or a win......

It's not just one thing....

You have to have a good draft, and good FA moves. Trades, not so much. Most leagues I'm in, people are to afraid to trade, or offer outlandish ones.

And there is luck. Injuries can kill you. A few years back I lost 1 RB, 2 WR, and a TE to injury, the only one to stay healthy was my QB, and everybody knows what happened to him in the Pittsburgh game (my fault, it had to happen). That was pretty extreme, but 1 or 2 key losses, will still knock you out.

Well said. There's no question that luck plays a part in Fantasy Football. However, I don't believe that it plays the most intrical role. However, so far the majority of you do.

Chance favors the prepared mind.

Sometimes you can win your league at the draft ... if you score on the middle round players.

Sometimes you can win your league with one or more key FA moves.

Sometimes you can win your league with one or more key trades.

Sometimes you can win your league with a little bit of luck.

More often than not it is a combination of all 4.

Guest Chappy
Sometimes you can win your league at the draft ... if you score on the middle round players.

Sometimes you can win your league with one or more key FA moves.

Sometimes you can win your league with one or more key trades.

Sometimes you can win your league with a little bit of luck.

More often than not it is a combination of all 4.

Very well said and I agree 100% that you can win a league having an outstanding or just the right amount of any of those by themselves but that having a solid combination of them all is more than likely the more common recipe for success. I just figured I'd start the poll and ask the question to see what the majority felt was most intrical piece in terms of winning it all and to this point it has made for a very interesting conversation. Thanks for the input Grits and to the many other that have chimed in.

I think the guys that win picking off a cheatsheet, when it happens, may deserve it. For one reason, which I try and follow myself.

They aren't prideful or smug. They aren't trying to be smarter than the room. In a word they are willing to be humble and "settle" for Hasslebeck and bypass Peyton Manning.

They don't feel the need to reach for a bigger name when the sheet says one guy instead. Perhaps a player of need. I try and avoid reaching for a guy just to say I've got A, B and C when I can get e, f, g, l, m, and n. If you follow that logic?

I think some people just like to rattle of big names after they draft even at the detriment of other positions.

They other side of it are the guys who draft a VERY risky player cause the have a hunch...the cheat sheet guy picks the next best guy available not some dude he saw play in highschool once.

Just my opinion...that I've been sucessful with recently.

Guest Chappy
I think the guys that win picking off a cheatsheet, when it happens, may deserve it. For one reason, which I try and follow myself.

They aren't prideful or smug. They aren't trying to be smarter than the room. In a word they are willing to be humble and "settle" for Hasslebeck and bypass Peyton Manning.

They don't feel the need to reach for a bigger name when the sheet says one guy instead. Perhaps a player of need. I try and avoid reaching for a guy just to say I've got A, B and C when I can get e, f, g, l, m, and n. If you follow that logic?

I think some people just like to rattle of big names after they draft even at the detriment of other positions.

They other side of it are the guys who draft a VERY risky player cause the have a hunch...the cheat sheet guy picks the next best guy available not some dude he saw play in highschool once.

Just my opinion...that I've been sucessful with recently.

Good point above. I can't tell you how many times just on judging a team at first glance it may not seem like much because it's missing those big name guys. However, very often those teams are very well-rounded and show up at season's end competing for the Title.

Yes. Wishing for injuries and getting them, and just plain luck. Doesn't hurt to have a solid draft and key pick ups, but if you have a RB like Ronnie Brown last year that you want after early, and then he goes down after leading the league, that's about luck. Then you had Brady, who was the 2nd pick from a QB standpoint, and he carries everyone to the playoffs...and takes a dump in the playoffs. That is luck.

Now, maybe you make it all happen and collect the right FA's like the kid from GB who ran lights out, but you still need luck, and there's the Brian Westbrook lay down....and the time that you score the second most points in the league in the playoffs, but guess who you played that week?

Puddy trumps all luck though.

You can't win a championship during the draft, but you can sure lose it. So, its sort of "step one" in the process.

Couldn't agree more. I always want to leave the draft with the "pillars of my team" - hopefully one stud at every position and a slew of quality sleepers and role players. Other than that, you on't know what you have until about week 6 when things start to pan out/injuries/etc take hold.

Free agents and being active on the wire has been where I've won and lost my title run in the past three years. Two years I picked corretly for an RB FA and last year I chose Jesse Chatman over Ryan Grant. You can probably guess where that landed me.

And more than anything, I think you have to have some LUCK. Good old fashioned luck. I wouldn't have gotten anywhere near the playoffs had I not had ADP explode. Lucky guess, imho, for a pretty big 4th round gamble.

Yes. Wishing for injuries and getting them, and just plain luck. Doesn't hurt to have a solid draft and key pick ups, but if you have a RB like Ronnie Brown last year that you want after early, and then he goes down after leading the league, that's about luck. Then you had Brady, who was the 2nd pick from a QB standpoint, and he carries everyone to the playoffs...and takes a dump in the playoffs. That is luck.

Now, maybe you make it all happen and collect the right FA's like the kid from GB who ran lights out, but you still need luck, and there's the Brian Westbrook lay down....and the time that you score the second most points in the league in the playoffs, but guess who you played that week?

FWIW, brady was being shopped around mid season in one of my leagues and I thought about making an offer for him(dynasty league and he had a 1yr contract) anyway I looked at his schedule towards the end of the year and playoffs and decided to pass on him. Cant say that schedule was the only reason why since it was a combo of that, the 1yr contract and asking price.

FWIW, brady was being shopped around mid season in one of my leagues and I thought about making an offer for him(dynasty league and he had a 1yr contract) anyway I looked at his schedule towards the end of the year and playoffs and decided to pass on him. Cant say that schedule was the only reason why since it was a combo of that, the 1yr contract and asking price.

I think the dynamics of the answer here changes from dynasty vs. redraft, that's for sure. Brady helped me win 2.5X of my buy in for my local this past year, but I tanked vs. the 8 seed in round one, and Brady did me no favors Week 14...and he layed an egg Week 15. Week 16, different story.

Takes more than Brady ... the Brady owner in my local didn't win a single game.