[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

What is the main reason why Fantasy Titles are won?

Guest Chappy

Winning Fantasy Titles.  

89 members have voted

1. 1. Which reason plays the most intrical part of winning a Fantasy Title?

• Solid drafting.
    • Key FA acquisitions and trades.
    • Starting Lineup management.
    • Luck.
    • Puddy. (don't know who he is but he's always a poll option)
    • All of the above.

I think the dynamics of the answer here changes from dynasty vs. redraft, that's for sure. Brady helped me win 2.5X of my buy in for my local this past year, but I tanked vs. the 8 seed in round one, and Brady did me no favors Week 14...and he layed an egg Week 15. Week 16, different story.

My point is that just losing because Brady craps out in the playoffs isnt BAD luck....when there were reasons to look at his matchups and have concerns...just saying that people with Brady could have traded him or planned for a tough run of games at the end of the season. But I am sure that most really thought he was the 2nd coming.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To me winning with luck means the guy who drfats, does nothing FA-wise and then wins.

I don't mind people who put in effort and win because the weather (Ohio weather killed me last year) or injuries benefit them. Luck is the guy who does nothing and wins.

Luck! :wacko:

Even acquiring free agents at the right time is luck. Where you are in the waiver order at the right or wrong time. Did you get an injury to a scrub in a league that gives IR moves priority. Even in FCFS legues, were you snacking on a break and surfing the net when the piece of news came out that told you to jump a guy? How about the HOT FA that EVERYONE knows about and it is a matter of wich ISP proccesses that mouse click the fastest at 12:00:01 a.m. Did the STACKED team you should never have beaten have a cool week in the playoffs opening the door to a freak shot at the title? Injuries to major players anyone?

FF palyers tend to think that they or their palyers have any real outcome on the game they are playing. THEY DON'T. Players only affect the real-life game they are involved in. The rest, fantasy wise, is just statistics. Your "TEAM D" has no effect on any of the offensive players on your opponents lineup (with rare exceptions that one or two players might be playing your team D in a real game). The game used to be about having more information that your oppenent and managing that information better that everyone else. The "information age" has destroyed this edge!

A solid draft is all that really used to seperate the men from the boys, but now with all the tools like The Huddle, the info is there for the most fervent or the laziest part-timer. In my VERY casual office league, a person that had MFL auto-draft her team and her husband play/manage the team came in second!

:D:D:brew:

Look, it is easy to blow a season by being a goofball, but it takes a solid roster from the start, a few good moves and Lady Luck sitting squarely in your corner to maybe have a shot. We had a guy who couldn't find his a$$ with both hands win my big $ league in 2004 when Porter and Bennett played teams with ZERO defense the last few weeks of the season. He picked them both up mid-season when they were crap and BANG. The chiefs and the titans even played each other in a late season game with both putting up a bagillion points, neither could stop the pass and both ended up playing the Raiders, who couldn't stop sh!t and then the Raiders and Chiefs played for another bagillion points in the Championship game week 16. Trust me, this guy was not smart or good enough to plan any of this. The old blind squirrel syndrome! His team SUCKED outside of Green, Gonzo, Holmes and LJ (he was a Chief's homer, traded his 1-2-3 to move up for Holmes, spent his #4 on Gonzo, his #5 on LJ, #6 on Green, #7 on KCTD, #8 on Kennison, (get it) and started like six of them evey week). One of those guys that makes like 38 moves a week, picking up and cutting the same guy four times in the same week :lol: (we changed the rules the following year to stop this). He had NO IDEA what it was to manage a team, always picked up the no-name that had a big week and would start him the following then cut him after a zero point game, but stayed close enough because of Gonzo, Green and the RB combo to sneak into an "expanded/experimental" playoff system we tried that year. It was a tough and mediocre year for most of the teams and the tie breaker worked to his advantage because of who OTHER teams had beaten. He couldn't have tried be be a more wee-todd-ed owner if he tried and he WON the championship.

:D:Dyawn:

From there on I was DONE with playing the game seriously any more. The fun left and I realized that the internet had truly killed the game I love.

Thanx... I feel better! :)

this is a dumb thread. in some cases, it's luck driven by injury. in other cases it's picking up the right FA. in other cases it's managing the roster masterfully, plugging in the right starters at the right time. in other cases, it is a masterful draft, especially in the middle rounds. in other cases, it's puddy.

most of the time, i would think it would be a bit of a combo of everything ...

Guest Chappy
So why contribute? :wacko:

Excellent point. However, it's the off-season so my brain is in relax mode so dumb things tend to leak out.

this is a dumb thread. in some cases, it's luck driven by injury. in other cases it's picking up the right FA. in other cases it's managing the roster masterfully, plugging in the right starters at the right time. in other cases, it is a masterful draft, especially in the middle rounds. in other cases, it's puddy.

most of the time, i would think it would be a bit of a combo of everything ...

However, I will say that as dumb as you think it is (you're certainly entitled to feel that way), I think it's interesting to hear all the different opinions/input from all the insightful members here. Even after your original statement, you included the statement which I bolded above and it is a very legit thought that several here have already posted and agree with you on.

i had to contribute in order to call it dumb. i could have just thought it very hard, but i doubt you would have picked up on that.

:D:wacko:

I think it is luck in head to head leagues. You could lead the league in scoring and just happen to play the team that scores the most points every week. I know this is highly unlikely to lose every week, but the schedule is all luck and I have seen teams that score the 8th most points in a 10 team league make the playoffs because of schedule. Then, once you make the playoffs anything can happen.

Luck--Taking that chance on a high risk high reward player. If they pan out you would want to call it skill, but it is blind-a$$ luck. You just never know. Look at Koren Robinson and William Green, I remember both of these guys were supposed to "bust out" and they did bust out alright, busted out off my team back into free agency.

While I will agree it does take skill to draft well and pick up free agents, the luck factor is always there. Are they in a good situation, see Derek Andersen and Ryan Grant last year?

Like said many times previously, with the internet and places like The Huddle obtaining fantasy football information is easier than ever making it more of an even playing field.

I really enjoyed McBoog's post.

I agree with alot here that it's a combination of everything. A certain guy falls to you unexpectantly, or pick up a guy off waivers hoping he pans out. Someone else picks up on waivers a rb, who through injuries to starters weeks later becomes a stud. There's no real one condition that makes it all work. I had LT and Gore, thinking I'm ok, was I wrong for the first 8 weeks or better. Luckily I had followed it up with solid wr's, but even that wasn't enough. I"m surprised no one really commented on paying attention to weekly matchups/lineups. Unfortunately, been on the bad side of this as well, play this rb agaianst the 32nd ranked run d, sit one of my guys going against the #1 d, only to have the performances totally end up the opposite, go figure.

There's no way to predict how any 1 player is going to be on any givin day. Last year seemed to be a unreal year for injuries, to almost every position having a high amount. If you were "lucky" enough to avoid any, your chances of winning improved immensely. I remember everyone looking and grabbing every 3rd string rb last year. Too bad I thought I'd try to find one in GB's backfield.

A lil luck in the draft, a lil skill, ,,, hope for the best in your weekly matchups. Then there's allways that 1 idiot drafting right before you that........ well, nm, thats a diff item. :wacko: