[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Eagles go after Fitz...

Guest Chappy

by the way, the cards are using the arizona media outlets just as much if not more than fitz and his reps. while you say they are stating "we're trying to work out a deal", they are also not excepting an offer of 4 years that is in front of them, so i'm not sure why you're not criticizing them for talking out both sides of their mouth if that's what you feel fitz is doing.

He wants to be extended three years, they want a five year extension... They're willing to make him the highest paid player in the league, and give themselves much needed cap relief. If Fitz wants to be a team player and win, then why not accept a 6 year deal that makes you the highest paid player at the position, gives your team cap space to build a winner, thus you actually being the team player.

I'm not a cards apologist. My point has to do with Fitz saying one thing and doing another.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1. They've been trying to extend him for over a year now. He won't. The Cardinals will pay it, as the GM has said as much. He said that a deal is a deal, and if they can't work out an agreement they would man up and pay him.

2. Two decades ago isn't recent history. What were the Patriots as a franchise two years ago? What were the Cowboys two years ago?

A lot of things change in 20 years.

3. You're talking as if he's going to lose a ton of money by extending his contract... He could get a ton of money in signing bonuses to compensate for what would be lost if he resigned.

1. but he won't man up and admit they f'd up in the first place.

2. i'm not talking 2 decades ago, i'm talking about all of the past few decades. you are pointing to 1 4 year contract given to a 28 year old running back.

He wants to be extended three years, they want a five year extension... They're willing to make him the highest paid player in the league, and give themselves much needed cap relief. If Fitz wants to be a team player and win, then why not accept a 6 year deal that makes you the highest paid player at the position, gives your team cap space to build a winner, thus you actually being the team player.

I'm not a cards apologist. My point has to do with Fitz saying one thing and doing another.

yes, he's saying he'll be a team player by signing a 3-year extension and giving them the much-needed cap space they need NOW. i'm not sure why just because he won't sign a huge extension, you think he's lying by saying he cares about the team. he's got them by the balls, he's giving them an option, and they are too stubborn to take it.

Larry Fitzgerald is showing some character issues... He used to be one of my favorite non-packer players... :wacko:

I don't understand this one bit. Reportedly, Fitzgerald negotiated a contract that assures him $33 million over the next two years. He has said he will do anything he can to help the club, but asking him to take less than what he's owed in guarantees AND locking himself up for 6 seasons to make it a manageable cap hit is putting the guy over a barrell. He could get the $33 million and then get a totally new deal that probably assures him another $30 mill in guarantees in 2010. But he's 'showing character issues" not accepting $20 million in guarantees and being shackled for the next 6 years? The guy should be considered for sainthood if he did that.

1. This isn't a normal business. Contracts are backloaded all the time with the intention of extending it. Never was the deal supposed to get this far in.

Then why not give Fitz the 4 year deal he wants instead of the 6 year deal?

The reason is because the Cards want to backload the 6 year deal and then assume they will be able to re-negotiate after 3-4 so they don't have to pay the last two back loaded years, correct?

If the Cards didn't want to pay Fitz this money they should never had offered it or they should have tried to re-negotiate last year. The Cards made their bed on this one.

The problem with these negotiations is that they began after Ftizgerald hit the escalators in his contract. That was irresponsible and short sighted decision by the front office. The Bidwells have themselves to blame. So do the fans of the Arizona Cardinals.

There are players in the NFL that would gladly renegotiate to a cap-friendly contract on a winning franchise. Arizona is historically not that kind of franchise so... Why shouldn't money be the motivating factor in this situation? If you are not playing for a championship then cash is the next best thing.

These are is not a character issues. This is business.

Guest Chappy
The problem with these negotiations is that they began after Ftizgerald hit the escalators in his contract. That was irresponsible and short sighted decision by the front office. The Bidwells have themselves to blame. So do the fans of the Arizona Cardinals.

There are players in the NFL that would gladly renegotiate to a cap-friendly contract on a winning franchise. Arizona is historically not that kind of franchise so... Why shouldn't money be the motivating factor in this situation? If you are not playing for a championship then cash is the next best thing.

These are is not a character issues. This is business.

That's another thought I had throughout this entire thread. Arizona has not had success so chances are Fitz knows he's not making a SB run with this team so money comes to the forefront.

Guest Chappy
Cards

That was a pretty good article about the situation. I don't see Warner or Edge running to re-negotiate so the team can sign free agents.

Pirates: Have they said that they want to be team players? If not, than it's okay.: Pirates

:wacko:

You guys are missing my point here all together. I said that if Fitz wants to be all about the money, that's fine. A ton of receivers are. Just don't talk about wanting to be a team player and wanting to win.

You guys are all trying to go off in different directions on this. I said that someone who says he's a team player, that he wants to be in Arizona, and he wants to win, all the while doing something that hinders this.

You guys are all trying to go off in different directions on this. I said that someone who says he's a team player, that he wants to be in Arizona, and he wants to win, all the while doing something that hinders this.

did he not provide them an option to extend him and give them the immediate cap relief they need? i would say by just allowing them an option out of this crap they got themselves in is being a team player.

He gave them a reasonable option in order to accomplish this... they turned him down... how much does the guy have to compromise in order to be considered a team player? I think he can still be a team player without being a complete moran who just bends over and takes it in the shorts.

Fitz is really costin the Cards......(losing Faneca, not being able to keep Pace) think the damage is done and the "Core Player" will stay in Zona......also read the Cards don't want to trade Fitz's contract problems for Sheppards contract problems..........in the meantime players like Warner/Berry/Hayes are restructuring to help the team in a real way instead of Fitz's Jive azs lip service about being a team player :wacko:

Don't Hate on Fitz. Teams get a chance to screw players year in and year out for not performing up to their contract. They don't have no money thats guaranteed except the signing bonus. Plus he and the team agreed to this contract. Their best bet to sign him is give him that money in guaranteed dollars plus 20 million for the new contract. Which would equate to almost 60 million guaranteed. They are not going to do that. But if he stays pat he gets something like 17 this year and 19 next year when they franchise him. Close to 40 million. So if I was him I would do lip service just like the teams do all these older vets year in and year out. He just got them this time instead of them having him. Because u best to believe he will get old and won't see this type of money again per year. So he got to make what he can make now. Also you know u would do the same to on a real job. Get the max money available and careless about the next person worth. Lets be real here. Its life. Because in the end this is a business.

Fitz has busted his ass, led his team in TDs, receptions, made multiple Pro Bowls, and has only missed 4 games. He's shown more commitment to winning in the past 4 years than the Cards front office has in over 20. A smarter organization would have been able to avoid this mess.

Fitz has busted his ass, led his team in TDs, receptions, made multiple Pro Bowls, and has only missed 4 games. He's shown more commitment to winning in the past 4 years than the Cards front office has in over 20. A smarter organization would have been able to avoid this mess.

you sure about that?

i think the character issues piratesownninjas might've originally been referring to are the allegations that came up end of season last year, woman claiming he knocked her up, paternity suit, etc. etc...not his wanting more money...though i could be wrong and don't want to speak for anyone....and let's be honest, an (unmarried, far as i know) NFL star knocking up a woman isn't exactly shocking or an automatic sign of bad character. e.g. brady.

i think the character issues piratesownninjas might've originally been referring to are the allegations that came up end of season last year, woman claiming he knocked her up, paternity suit, etc. etc...not his wanting more money...though i could be wrong and don't want to speak for anyone....and let's be honest, an (unmarried, far as i know) NFL star knocking up a woman isn't exactly shocking or an automatic sign of bad character. e.g. brady.

He said that he "wanted to keep it quiet, unlike Leinart" referring to his very public out of wedlock child.

That's what initially started it. But I'm also saying that I think it's bush league to say you want to be a winner yet you won't negotiate a restructured deal, you want to be a team player, but your love of money is more important, thus your team cant land any real FA's, and you want to be a cardinal, but a six year deal is out of the equation. By saying that I think he has some character issues doesn't mean he's a thug. I think some of the guys misread the point I'm trying to get across...

Because, just maybe, he wants to be a Philadelphia Eagle. :wacko:

The definition of a CONTRACT and what the NFL calls a CONTRACT is just a JOKE

Players are RIDICULED when they suggest they are gonna hold out because they have a signed contract

Yet clubs can just CUT a guy and the contract is POOF GONE....Then a CLUB can say lets RE-NEGOTIATE THE DEAL

and the PLAYER(s) look like asses when they dont? It is laughable at best that they even call what they have CONTRACTS.

I guess I just don't see the problem with Fitzgerald saying he wants to be a Cardinal. Sure, it is posturing but it happens all the time in the NFL. Potential contract resolutions have been snubbed by both sides. I just can't be convinced that this is an issue of character.

Just think... If the Cardinals had only drafted Reggie Williams, Rashaun Woods or Michael Clayton in 2004 they wouldn't have this problem right now.

I guess I just don't see the problem with Fitzgerald saying he wants to be a Cardinal. Sure, it is posturing but it happens all the time in the NFL. Potential contract resolutions have been snubbed by both sides. I just can't be convinced that this is an issue of character.

Just think... If the Cardinals had only drafted Reggie Williams, Rashaun Woods or Michael Clayton in 2004 they wouldn't have this problem right now.

If Fitz said he wanted out of AZ, he'd be getting ripped....

either way people will be upset...

I agree. Part of the problem may be the coaching changes but they need to work this out. Sit down and do it. Fitz seems willing to compromise up to a point.