[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Jerry Rice, Class Act!

Guest Chappy

Guest Chappy

Jerry Rice has given Isaac Bruce the go-ahead to wear No. 80 for the 49ers.

"I have always respected Isaac Bruce," Rice said. Somehow the number was never retired, but no 49er has worn it since Rice's last year in San Francisco (2000). Bruce, who ranks third all-time in receiving yards behind only Rice and Tim Brown, has worn the No. 80 all 14 seasons he's been in the league.

Here's the cooler thing about it: Bruce hasn't even asked him yet. Rice knew that Bruce has been wearing 80 for his entire career and offered-up before the request was made.

:wacko:

who the hell am I thinking about then....let me see.

ETA: I was thinking Monk. Slipped my mind that he's finally getting in. Still have to think about the #3 yardage WR being worthy of a spot. :wacko:

Edited by gilthorp

who the hell am I thinking about then....let me see.

Well I think your line of thinking was correct.... Monk was denied year after year when he certainly deserved to be there much sooner.

Bruce will probably fall to the same fate.

it is unblieveable that either #16 or #80 is not retired for SF. It's not like they have been busy winning games for the last five years. The past is about all they have to talk about.

Guest Chappy
How is the # not retired?

That was my first thought as well. And I agree with Puddy in that I wouldn't be shocked if that number was retired throughout the league.

it is unblieveable that either #16 or #80 is not retired for SF. It's not like they have been busy winning games for the last five years. The past is about all they have to talk about.

I'm pretty sure they retired Montana's number the year he was inducted into the HOF.

But if DMD says it isn't retired, it isn't retired. :wacko:

Edited by budlitebrad

Ah, maybe they did. But how could they retire 16 and not 80?????

Rice was the greatest receiver of all time. Montana was just one of many average QBs that he made look better than they were ...

and 1....2....3.... :wacko:

Ah, maybe they did. But how could they retire 16 and not 80?????

Rice was the greatest receiver of all time. Montana was just one of many average QBs that he made look better than they were ...

and 1....2....3.... :wacko:

and fathoms better than aikman :D

:irishwinkie:

Thats what I'm saying. I bet Bruce won't wear it anyway. I'd think you'd have to have a serious ego to wears #80 in San Fran without being Jerry Rice. I don't know much about Bruce, but I'd bet he doesn't wera #80 out of respect for Rice.

Of course, if you read the whole quote, it's mostly because Rice had the ego to wear #80 in Seattle without being Steve Largent. He called up Largent and asked if it could be unretired just for him. His quote about this situation is like, well if Largent let me do it to him, I guess I'll let Bruce do likewise.

Peace

policy

I collect autographed balls, spamshirts and helmets. I'm a Cowboy fan, and yet I have a wall in my house completely devoted to SF's #16 and #80. I will personally be offended if Bruce wears #80. This is what #80 is supposed to look like, nothing else.

Edited by Perchoutofwater

Now Isaac Bruce has the opportunity to show that he is just as classy as Jerry Rice, by refusing to wear #80 in San Francisco.

i think a decent gesture might be to wear a small "JR" under #80 on the sleaves...... gets to keep his career # while paying tribute to a league (and team's/city's) hero.

i think a decent gesture might be to wear a small "JR" under #80 on the sleaves...... gets to keep his career # while paying tribute to a league (and team's/city's) hero.

Boy that is not a bad idea, but I highly doubt the NFL would allow him to do that, given all of their strict uniform regulations.