[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Great article on the overrated Brett Favre

FishFreak

Yes Brett is probably a top ten QB simply because he was incredibly durable but overall the guy is vastly overrated and somehow got the red carpet treatment for most of his career. The things I remember most about Favre is celebrating his SB win against the Pats, his record setting INT's thrown against the Rams in the playoffs, the stupid INT against the Eagles in the playoffs and another horrible INT against the Giants in the playoffs this year. Yet with all the bonehead throws he makes he's still everyone's loveable "gunslinger". I think this article sums it up best. Check out the link below:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/stor...&id=3281535

over his final 16 yrs(yes I am not including his 1st yr with the falcons where he thru 4 passes)

is avgs were:

27.63 TDs/yr

17.88 INTS/yr

3853 Passing Yards/yr

yeah, those numbers are overrated :wacko:

and the guy was durable...why should that be a Frigin NEGATIVE :D

1st Half of Career: 83 wins(avg 10.38 wins/season)

2nd Half of Career: 78 wins (avg 9.75 wins/season) (pretty darn consistent if you ask me)

2nd half of career avgs:

25.88 TDs/yr

18.38 INTs/yr(if you look at the year he threw 29 picks and just peeled off 5 that year you would see his avg dip below the 1st half of his career)

3845 passing yards/yr

In the 2nd half of his career favre has 1 less 30TD season then Peyton has his entire career and 2 more then Brady has.

Edited by keggerz

Yes Brett is probably a top ten QB simply because he was incredibly durable but overall the guy is vastly overrated and somehow got the red carpet treatment for most of his career. The things I remember most about Favre is celebrating his SB win against the Pats, his record setting INT's thrown against the Rams in the playoffs, the stupid INT against the Eagles in the playoffs and another horrible INT against the Giants in the playoffs this year. Yet with all the bonehead throws he makes he's still everyone's loveable "gunslinger". I think this article sums it up best. Check out the link below:

What makes Favre amazing to me is only three things. His streak of consecutive games started, which I seriously doubt another QB will ever come close to. His three league MVPs, which has never been done. But more than anything, what I like about Brett Favre, the reason I have an autographed helmet and and an autographed jersey hanging on my wall is his attitude. He played in the NFL like it was a Pop Warner league. The last memory that will stick in my head of this season will not be a TD pass, a mad scramble and an off balanced throw or an INT, it will be him throwing a snowball, like some little kid. He is that rare guy in the NFL that you actually believe he does what he does for the love of the game, and not necessarily the money.

What makes Favre amazing to me is only three things. His streak of consecutive games started, which I seriously doubt another QB will ever come close to. His three league MVPs, which has never been done. But more than anything, what I like about Brett Favre, the reason I have an autographed helmet and and an autographed jersey hanging on my wall is his attitude. He played in the NFL like it was a Pop Warner league. The last memory that will stick in my head of this season will not be a TD pass, a mad scramble and an off balanced throw or an INT, it will be him throwing a snowball, like some little kid. He is that rare guy in the NFL that you actually believe he does what he does for the love of the game, and not necessarily the money.

Good points. I read this morning after the press conference he went south to hunt wild Boar. He is a unique guy we'll probably never see again.

Even at his press conference you could his love for the game and his teammates.

to put it in the typical language of sports cliches, favre was a "gamer", but he wasn't "clutch". his play was more likely to step back in the big game than step up. the stats in that article kinda demonstrate this conclusively. main reason why i'd have to put him more in that 5-10 range all-time, rather than top 5. still a tremendous player, an awesome ambassador for the game with the way he played, and easily a first ballot hall of famer. just not in the "GOAT" discussion for me personally.

This article is mostly garbage. LOL especially at the Bart Starr comparison. Brett carried average teams on his back into the playoffs in the Sherman era. I wouldn't necessarily say that he's the best ever, but it's pretty retarded to knock a guy who has 3 League MVPs, 61,655 passing yds, 455 total TDs, a career 61.4% completion percentage, a career 85.7 QB rating, two NFC titles, and a ring. Oh, and the Packers went to the playoffs in 11 of his 16 seasons as a starter. :wacko:

Seriously, how many former QBs were even on the same level as Favre? Certainly, Untas, Tarkenton, Marino, and Montana. And maybe Elway and Otto Graham. But who else?

This article is mostly garbage. LOL especially at the Bart Starr comparison. Brett carried average teams on his back into the playoffs in the Sherman era. I wouldn't necessarily say that he's the best ever, but it's pretty retarded to knock a guy who has 3 League MVPs, 61,655 passing yds, 455 total TDs, a career 61.4% completion percentage, a career 85.7 QB rating, two NFC titles, and a ring. Oh, and the Packers went to the playoffs in 11 of his 16 seasons as a starter. :wacko:

Seriously, how many former QBs were even on the same level as Favre? Certainly, Untas, Tarkenton, Marino, and Montana. And maybe Elway and Otto Graham. But who else?

Manning

to put it in the typical language of sports cliches, favre was a "gamer", but he wasn't "clutch". his play was more likely to step back in the big game than step up. the stats in that article kinda demonstrate this conclusively. main reason why i'd have to put him more in that 5-10 range all-time, rather than top 5. still a tremendous player, an awesome ambassador for the game with the way he played, and easily a first ballot hall of famer. just not in the "GOAT" discussion for me personally.

+1... I'm in the same camp--easily a first ballot HOFer but not "Greatest of all-time."

Kind of related to all of this and for argument's sake... :wacko:

Manning

I'm not going to bring Manning and Brady into the conversation until they retire.

+1... I'm in the same camp--easily a first ballot HOFer but not "Greatest of all-time."

Kind of related to all of this and for argument's sake... :D

Favre wasn't throwing a ton of picks in playoff games back in the mid '90s. Coincidentally, that's when his teams had better offensive talent, better defensive talent, and better coaching than they did in the Sherman era. :wacko:

Edited by Bill Swerski

btw, I happen to enjoy the fact that Favre has the INT record too. Who else on the planet, do you know, that really couldn't care less if he has that record. I bet he laughs about it, and probably laughed about it when he broke the record. Only Favre deserves to have the TD record, the PY record, AND the INT record... It just shows his passion. You can actually see his passion in his stats. When my grandkids in 30 years, want to know about Brett Favre, I can just show them a stat sheet, and they'll understand. You can't say that for many players.

I'm not going to bring Manning and Brady into the conversation until they retire.

Favre wasn't throwing a ton of picks in playoff games back in the mid '90s. Coincidentally, that's when his teams had better offensive talent, better defensive talent, and better coaching than they did in the Sherman era. :wacko:

There are very few exceptions, but a QB (like other skilled positions) is generally only as good as the parts around him. Very few, if any, 'great' QBs are known for long, storied careers on very lousy teams.

It's no coincidence that Favre had his best years when he was not only in his physical/skill prime but also had his best 'team'... from 1993 to 1998, the Packer D was never worse than 11 in pts allowed and only once worse than 7th in yds allowed.

I also wouldn't really overlook the Sherman teams either. The D wasn't great but were good enough from 2000 to 2003 then took a downturn in 04-05. Yes, besides Favre there wasn't really any great talent on the team but Ahman Green had 4 consecutive Pro Bowl season including 2 All-Pros. That's huge for a QB and also says something about the OL and OCs... just ask Marino who only got one 1000 yd rusher and zero Pro Bowlers.

Favre is a first ballot HOFer and one of the greatest QBs of all-time. IMO, based on other factors (especially postseason success and overall efficiency when compared to other QBs of other eras) he's not the best all-time. I guess it comes down to this... if a QB only draft were to take place, active or retired, I would not take Favre with the #1 pick. IMO, he'd fall in the 5-10 range.

Edited by kingfish247

Modern era QB's in the Hall of Fame-

Troy Aikman 1989-2000

George Blanda (Also PK) 1949-1958, 1960-1975

Terry Bradshaw 1970-1983

Len Dawson 1957-1975

John Elway 1983-1998

Dan Fouts 1973-1987

Otto Graham 1946-1955

Bob Griese 1967-1980

Sonny Jurgensen 1957-1974

Jim Kelly 1986-1996

Bobby Layne 1948-1962

Dan Marino 1983-1999

Joe Montana 1979-1994

Warren Moon 1984-2000

Joe Namath 1965-1977

Bart Starr 1956-1971

Roger Staubach 1969-1979

Fran Tarkenton 1961-1978

Y.A. Tittle 1948-1964

Johnny Unitas 1956-1973

Norm Van Brocklin 1949-1960

Bob Waterfield 1945-1952

Steve Young 1985-1999

You are an idiot.

"Certainly" Tarkenton, but only "maybe" Elway and Graham? Yikes.

So you're putting Elway above Tarkenton? You do realize that Tarkenton threw 42 more TDs than Elway in an era that wasn't friendly to the passing game at all, right? He was also the league first superstar scrambling QB and I believe that he was all-time TD pass leader when he retired. No offense to Elway, but that's kind of like ranking Troy Aikman over Len Dawson.

As for Graham, that guy played so freaking long ago that it's difficult to compare him to the modern era QBs.