[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Anthony Bourdain

SheikYerbuti

My favorite show on TV is Anthony Bourdain's "No Reservations". I can't pimp the show enough. I think it's beautifully done, Tony's an amazingly smart and interesting guy, he's funny, honest. If you don't know the show, he's a long time NYC chef who now travels the world. His motto is "Don't be a tourist, be a traveler". He hates tourist attractions. He's always trying to live like the locals, whether he's in Europe, Africa, or above the Arctic Circle. He's not the typical travel show host. He's often cranky and cynical. He visits the most holy spiritual religious sites in the world and, although respecful, doesn't believe in any of it. He's on my short list of "celebrities I'd like to have dinner with".

Anyway, this week's episode was a new concept. Apparently he was getting a lot of fan mail questioning whether he can cook at all, since he claims to be a chef but never cooks on the show. So, this week's show was Tony going back to Les Halles, the restaurant that he worked at for over 20 years as head Chef. He worked a double shift as a line cook. He went through the ins and outs of what it's like at a midtown bistro during the dinner rush. He worked the saute station.

I have a new respect for line cooks, chefs, and runners. That job looks BRUTAL.

Edited by SheikYerbuti

yup ive been watching it for a couple of years.. only cooking show i can stand ... and he must have been quite the partier back in the day

i actually watched an episode yesterday for the 1st time ever while i was doing some stuff on my laptop(FF Auction in progress) and I thought i heard him say "with a bong in my mouth" ....rewind a bit and sure enough that was what he said....I cant remember the exact comment but it was about how good something was and he made that analogy. I was like WOW cant believe he really just said that

Really enjoyed reading Kitchen Confidential but couldn't get past the ego in his follow up book (forget the title but it's pretty much what his show is about).

I appreciate that he's out there and can relate to much of what he says, but I also think he comes off crazy pompous.

Really enjoyed reading Kitchen Confidential but couldn't get past the ego in his follow up book (forget the title but it's pretty much what his show is about).

I appreciate that he's out there and can relate to much of what he says, but I also think he comes off crazy pompous.

arnt all cooks pompus.. i kinda thought i t came with the job... to be good u have to be :wacko::D

Edited by Yukon Cornelius

I'm usually REALLY turned off by pompous people. . .it's one of my least favorite traits in humans. And yet, I've never been struck by Bourdain as pompous. He has opinions on things, but he doesn't strike me as the type to place himself above the situation. He submerges himself in totally foreign situations and allows himself to not be the center of attention to the best of his ability. I think he observes and tries to fit in as best as he can, and always takes advice and guidance from the locals.

Just my take on it.