[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

FITZGERALD EXTENDS HIS DEAL

BillyBalata

FITZGERALD EXTENDS HIS DEAL

Posted by Mike Florio on March 11, 2008, 11:59 a.m.

According to an announcement posted on what appears to be his personal web site, Cardinals receiver Larry Fitzgerald has agreed to a four-year, $40 million contract with the team.

Fitzgerald¹s site says that he¹ll get $30 million guaranteed, and $33 million over the next three years.

He had been scheduled to earn more than $14 million in salary in 2008 and more than $17 million in salary in 2009 based on eight-figure escalators for which he qualified based on his performance during the first four years of his career.

The deal also supposedly contains a clause that permits Fitzgerald to block any trade without his consent (which protects him from being traded to one of the really bad franchises . . . like the one he currently plays for).

The deal also supposedly contains a clause that permits Fitzgerald to block any trade without his consent (which protects him from being traded to one of the really bad franchises . . . like the one he currently plays for).

:wacko: What, is he worried he might get traded to the Arena League? Seriously, who is worse than the Cardinals?

Edited by CaptainHook

Glad to see it happen. I just hope he don't faint or have a heart attack when that 30 million dollar deposit slip comes in the mail.

Closer to 15mil after uncle sam takes his share.

I am glad he re-signed he is a really talented WR. Lets see if Leinart can make something happen

I am glad he re-signed he is a really talented WR. Lets see if Leinart can make something happen

He better make something happen. I have him in every dynasty league that I am in. I may be his biggest fan.

Not for Warren-

Warren Buffet Pays 17.7% Tax Rate; His Employees Pay 32.9%

Interesting report : Warren Buffet complained that he paid a 17.7% tax rate on his $46 million of taxable income in 2006, while his employees paid an average 32.9% tax rate (his receptionist's tax rate was 30%).

They couldn't have offered him a similar 4 year deal BEFORE missing out on the better FAs? Now the front office just looks dumber than before.

Is that even possible? Isn't there some kind of ceiling that can't be breached? :wacko:

Guest Chappy

With the news of this signing, does it put to rest all the possible trade talks involving other teams (Philly)? I would think so but was just curious.

or FITZGERALD BAILS OUT THE CARDINALS AFTER THEY LOST OUT ON AN ELITE GUARD, AND PREVENTED THEM FROM RE-SIGNING CALVIN PACE.

I still fail to see how this is Fitzgerald's fault. Arizona signed him to the contract and Arizona waitied until now to re-work his contract. If he wanted 4 years instead of the 6 the Cards were offering then the Cards should have offered 4 years before they lost out in those free agents. Sounds like poor managment to me. Or maybe the Cards could have actually thought about this last year. Maybe they should have said to themselves, "Hey, Larry is in for a big pay day the next couple of years. Maybe we should try to extend his contract and spread some of that money over a few more years"

Edited by ebartender

I still fail to see how this is Fitzgerald's fault. Arizona signed him to the contract and Arizona waitied until now to re-work his contract. If he wanted 4 years instead of the 6 the Cards were offering then the Cards should have offered 4 years before they lost out in those free agents. Sounds like poor managment to me. Or maybe the Cards could have actually thought about this last year. Maybe they should have said to themselves, "Hey, Larry is in for a big pay day the next couple of years. Maybe we should try to extend his contract and spread some of that money over a few more years"

It's not all Fitzgerald's fault. Both the organization and Fitz should have done this long ago. How do you know they didn't try and extend him previously to this? My beef wasn't that Fitz wanted a four year extension, it's that he talks about being a team player, wanting to play in Zona, and wanting to win... But that's in another thread all together.

He signed a contract that took the original $30+ mil he was scheduled to make and guaranteed it THEN he got a no-trade clause AND the chance at another huge contract (that could even be an uncapped season, though not likely). Barring any serious injury that would prohibit a 3rd big contract, the kid is set for his entire career.

Name one player in the NFL who WOULDN'T take that deal.

Edited by budlitebrad

He signed a contract that took the original $30+ mil he was scheduled to make and guaranteed it THEN he got a no-trade clause AND the chance at another huge contract (that could even be an uncapped season, though not likely). Barring any serious injury that would prohibit a 3rd big contract, the kid is set for his entire career.

Name one player in the NFL who WOULDN'T take that deal.

You're missing my point all together. I don't fault him for taking the deal. I have a problem with him talking about how he wants to be a team player, for the cardinals and he wants to win. By him not taking the 6 year deal which would have made him the highest paid player at the position, the cardinals lost out on signing Alan Faneca and resigning Calvin pace. The Cards obviously offered him a ton of cash on a six year deal, but that wasn't enough.

And as far as an uncapped season goes, it's not what most think, and won't be all that great for players.

You're missing my point all together. I don't fault him for taking the deal. I have a problem with him talking about how he wants to be a team player, for the cardinals and he wants to win. By him not taking the 6 year deal which would have made him the highest paid player at the position, the cardinals lost out on signing Alan Faneca and resigning Calvin pace. The Cards obviously offered him a ton of cash on a six year deal, but that wasn't enough.

And as far as an uncapped season goes, it's not what most think, and won't be all that great for players.

I just don't see how it's Fitz's fault for missing out on Faneca/Pace. Pace wasn't a lock. Would they have still signed him even if they had the cap room? They weren't gonna match what the Jets offered.

I mean this is one of the worst front offices in the league we're talking about. He wants to be a team player, but he ain't fn nuts. Heck, he's being more of a team player now than the Bidwells or Rod Graves have ever been for their organization. If he took a 6 year deal, he would have given up a ton for the team but would be labeled an idiot around the league.

I WILL say that if Fitz really wanted a championship or a better shot at a HOF career, he would have gotten far, far away from that team when he had the chance.

Edited by budlitebrad