[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Seahawks cut Alexander

godtomsatan

http://blogs.thenewstribune.com/seahawks/

OK, here is the deal with Shaun Alexander. KJR's Softy Mahler is reporting that Alexander is about to be let go. We ran into Mike Holmgren in the parking lot of the practice facility as he was leaving, and he confirmed that he did speak with Shaun today at the facility. He did not disclose what was said. But he said unequivocably that Shaun is not being released immediately. He said he could not be released right now anyway because of his injury. He had surgery on his wrist and is currently wearing a cast. When asked if Alexander was going to be released at a later date, Holmgren deferred to Tim Ruskell (which to me says "guilty"). Holmgren said he also met with Mo Morris and had a good conversation with him.

Holmgren said he really likes the acquisitions of Julius Jones and T.J. Duckett, though he has to figure out exactly how he is going to use Duckett.

Edited by Beaumont

Shaun will NOT be going to the HOF. This move sickens me, because it makes the Seahawks better. :wacko:

I've heard of a few people having interactions with him,(saw him in public, greeted him as an employee in a store, ect) they have all been negative experiences.

-DD21

Shaun's mantra: 'It's all good'

Speculation about his future doesn't bother Alexander

By CLARE FARNSWORTH

P-I REPORTER

KIRKLAND -- Shaun Alexander made an appearance in the Seahawks' locker room Tuesday, and he was actually smiling and upbeat.

His undaunted demeanor might have had something to do with the fact that the team's leading rusher had just returned from a trip to Florida, so Alexander has been away from the maelstrom of speculation about his future with the club since the Seahawks signed two running backs in free agency last week.

But then again, it could be that Alexander rarely gets caught up in the negativity of any situation.

"I'm great. I'm doing good," Alexander said during a brief telephone conversation later in the day. "But then I haven't seen TV or read anything, because I've been in West Palm Beach and at Disney World."

Alexander had to, well, run because he was heading to a church conference.

It wasn't his first meeting of the day. He also talked to club president Tim Ruskell, coach Mike Holmgren and offensive coordinator Gil Haskell while at the team's headquarters.

"It's all good," Alexander said.

But is it? The assumption is that Alexander has taken up permanent residence on a fast track out of town because of the additions of former Dallas Cowboys leading rusher Julius Jones and T.J. Duckett, a 254-pounder who has played with the Detroit Lions, Washington Redskins and Atlanta Falcons during his six-year NFL career.

So much so that a radio report had Alexander at the headquarters late in the day so he could be told he was being released.

"Shaun has not been released," Ruskell said as he was leaving the facility Tuesday night.

Holmgren, meanwhile, confirmed that he had a lengthy conversation with Alexander earlier in the day, and also pointed out that Alexander cannot be released at this time because he's still recovering from surgery on the left wrist that bothered him all of last season.

"Absolutely nothing has happened," Holmgren said.

Jim Steiner, Alexander's agent, was not taking calls Tuesday. But Monday night, Steiner told The Associated Press he planned to meet with the Seahawks regarding Alexander's future with the team and "about the running back situation there."

But Steiner should know that, since the CAA Football agency he works for also represents Jones.

It is known that the Seahawks can create $4.775 million of space under their salary cap by releasing Alexander after June 1, or earlier and designating the move a post-June 1 transaction. The post-June 1 release allows the cap hit from the remaining proration of the $11.5 million signing bonus that was part of his 2006 contract to be spread over two years -- $2.3 million this year and $4.6 million in 2009.

The Seahawks -- believed to be $4 million under the cap before signing Jones -- can use the money, but won't get it until June 2. That's why there is no rush to make a definite decision on Alexander, who is coming off two injury-interrupted seasons after putting together one of the more productive five-year runs in NFL history.

There also is reason to be concerned that the combination of Jones and Duckett is not enough to replace a healthy Alexander, and that such a back might not arrive until the April draft.

Will Alexander be released?

"Shaun has not been released," Ruskell repeated.

Alexander did not seem worried about any of this Tuesday. In talking to other players, he assured them being in his tenuous situation was part of the business and that things will work out.

As he repeated during the phone conversation, "It's all good."

I believe it's something like $2.6 million or something like that for the next two years, but I could be confused as to whether the June 1st thing is the two-year spread or the one-year hit.

LINK to SA contract story

MVP agrees to 8-year deal to remain with Seattle

Updated: March 6, 2006, 5:29 PM ET

The deal, which clearly makes Alexander one of the highest-paid running backs in league history, is worth $62 million and includes about $15.1 million in guarantees.

link to NFLPA page

Resources: Active Player Search

Alexander, Shaun

Salary History

2006 1625000.00

2007 1400000.00

2008 4475000.00

2009 5562500.00

2010 6650000.00

2011 7737500.00

2012 8825000.00

2013 9912500.00

So if his signing bonus was $15.1 over 8 years, that's $1.89M/yr. He's already 2 years into the contract, so there is $11.33M left to be paid in pro-rated guaranteed money. If Alexander were cut before June 1st, the entire $11.33M would accelerate against the 2008 cap, but they would save his $4.48M 2008 salary, meaning the cumulative cap hit against SEA would be $6.85M for the 2008 season.

If Alexander is cut after June 1st, or is designated as a June 1st cut, then the $11.33M would be split over the 2008-2009 seasons, meaning that $5.66M of guaranteed money would count against each year. Since SEA would then save his $4.48M in salary this year by cutting him, the cost of cutting SA in this sceneario would be a $1.19M hit against the cap in 2008 and a $5.56M hit against the cap in 2009.

:wacko:

he is very close to 10K rushing yards and has 100TDs(rushing)

9,429yds 4.3ypc 100TDs

when his career is said and done I guess he has a shot at getting in(if he passes 10K yards)...but in the end unless he adds another 2K yards and 25 TDs I doubt he gets in

Edited by keggerz

9,429yds 4.3ypc 100TDs

when his career is said and done I guess he has a shot at getting in(if he passes 10K yards)...but in the end unless he adds another 2K yards and 25 TDs I doubt he gets in

I'd prefer to see Terrell Davis in first.

And we all know how impressive a thing that is. :wacko:

:D

Any team who signs him will get what they deserve ie a washed up RB capable of very little. He had some great years, but he should've saved himself the embarrassment and retired at the end of the season.

It's always a pleasure to read your posts. Keep up the good work.

I think his release was confirmed when they put billboard of SA in crappy shoes from spammers Town last year and it fell down whenever a linebacker came within 100 feet.

Pure genius.

9,429yds 4.3ypc 100TDs

I don't think he's a first ballot... I think he's paired in with the likes of Cory Dillon.

Wasn't Shaun one of the premiere backs of his era?? Take these last two years out, and he had an AMAZING career. His prime six year stretch of football ranks up there with the greats of all-time. It' just too bad that he couldn't get more easy yards and TD's that didn't come during his prime. He has got to be awfully high up the TD lists.

What RB of this era will he have to compete with for the HOF?? Is he in the same era as Faulk, Bettis and Martin?? I contend that he should be in the next era. He should be compared to LT, Ahman Green and Portis. In this case, you could definitely consider him one of the premiere players at his position, which is supposedly the real criteria to make the HOF. It may take a while, but I have a hunch he gets in at some point. Huge TD numbers, good yards, a Super Bowl appearance and an MVP award. It just might be enough.