[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

David Carr signs

PSULions

I think that's a pretty good sigining for them actually. They've got their young franchise QB who should be leading them for a long time... but just in case, now they've got another young QB with a lot of experience as a starter already to back him up. Those are some good qualities for a guy that you hope never has to play in another live game.

Fans of every team, except Oakland, just breathed a sigh of relief.

:wacko:

I do like him as a backup though. As much as I loved Lorenzen, it was just for the kitsch factor. I didn't believe in his play. Not that Carr's a great player, but I'd feel more comfortable with him under center if something happened to Manning. This probably means Lorenzen will be cut. I'm excited to see where he ends up.

ETA: by cut, i mean not resigned.

Edited by LosGatosEnFuegos

:D

I do like him as a backup though. As much as I loved Lorenzen, it was just for the kitsch factor. I didn't believe in his play. Not that Carr's a great player, but I'd feel more comfortable with him under center if something happened to Manning. This probably means Lorenzen will be cut. I'm excited to see where he ends up.

ETA: by cut, i mean not resigned.

David Carr eh ? :wacko: 1 yr. 1 Mil.

Hard to judge Lorenzen's talent as he hasn't had any game time. I would like to see what he has myself. I don't see room for 4 QBs here someone will be leaving. +1 with Robash; I hope AW is the one who gets the ticket out of town.

That's a great signing.

He managed a 7.6 ypa in 2004 and a 68.3% comp pct in 2006, and that was with a HOU team where he was getting sacked almost 60 times a year. He's still young and has some significant ability. He just needs to get over the beatings he took early in his career. I think he can still be a quality starting NFL QB.

NY stole him at that price.

David Carr eh ? :wacko: 1 yr. 1 Mil.

Hard to judge Lorenzen's talent as he hasn't had any game time. I would like to see what he has myself. I don't see room for 4 QBs here someone will be leaving. +1 with Robash; I hope AW is the one who gets the ticket out of town.

He probably won't get any either. Eli never seems to get hurt. For Carr to get any playing time both would probably have to get hurt. Looks like they signed Carr asa insurance. In the NFL $1million is nothing.

They could trade Carr later too.

they signed the guy who couldn't get the ball to Andre Johnson for more than 8 yards at a time, who made a poor Houston O-line look much worse, and who couldn't hold a backup/replacement job in Carolina with Steve Smith to throw to?? ya, real good signing. :wacko:

Edited by rebdog

Yeah he sucks at avoiding sacks, but you could still do worse for a backup for sure (and many teams are). For that price, agreed it's a smart move.

If you saw him play the way he did when he was with the Panthers, you wouldn't be saying that. The guy was absolutely horrible. Skittish feet, looked lost in the pocket and couldn't get the ball to SS and finally was shown the pine in favor of VT who he been with the team for 3 days before Vinny helped us beat AZ. Even when he healed from his back injury that he suffered against NO in Week 3, he played like a scared kid. Took too many bad sacks and was outplayed by Matt Moore a FA pickup we got from the Cowboys at camp broke in August. Carr had been all though TC, had plenty of reps with the 1st team once Jake went down and Matt Moore and VT both played much better than Carr.

Eli staying healthy all year may help him extend his NFL career, because as soon as he gets real game experience with the Giants, the home crowd will ride him so bad Coughlin will have to do what Fox did and that would be to demote him to 3rd string and have him INACTIVE so the crowd couldn't boo the heck out of him. He is a terrible QB and is stealing another Million from the Giants.

If you saw him play the way he did when he was with the Panthers, you wouldn't be saying that. The guy was absolutely horrible. Skittish feet, looked lost in the pocket and couldn't get the ball to SS and finally was shown the pine in favor of VT who he been with the team for 3 days before Vinny helped us beat AZ. Even when he healed from his back injury that he suffered against NO in Week 3, he played like a scared kid. Took too many bad sacks and was outplayed by Matt Moore a FA pickup we got from the Cowboys at camp broke in August. Carr had been all though TC, had plenty of reps with the 1st team once Jake went down and Matt Moore and VT both played much better than Carr.

Eli staying healthy all year may help him extend his NFL career, because as soon as he gets real game experience with the Giants, the home crowd will ride him so bad Coughlin will have to do what Fox did and that would be to demote him to 3rd string and have him INACTIVE so the crowd couldn't boo the heck out of him. He is a terrible QB and is stealing another Million from the Giants.

yep. couldn't agree more. i got so tired of the O-line being blamed for all Carr's faults in Houston. i could accept that argument if he'd shown anything. things got better there as soon as he left. you may say he's how he is because he got hit too much or the other way around, but it really doesn't matter. he is what he is.....NOT A GOOD QB.

yep. couldn't agree more. i got so tired of the O-line being blamed for all Carr's faults in Houston. i could accept that argument if he'd shown anything. things got better there as soon as he left. you may say he's how he is because he got hit too much or the other way around, but it really doesn't matter. he is what he is.....NOT A GOOD QB.

A 7.6 ypa in 2004 would translate to 8th best in the NFL this year among starters.

And that 68.3% completions in 2006 would have been 3rd in the league this year.

No QB came close this year to the average number of sacks taken that Carr had in HOU as a starter.

If you say he couldn't be a capable QB in the NFL, the numbers say you're wrong. But we'll see. I remember how badly people thought Brees sucked after his first 3 years in SD, and how badly Gannon sucked for the predominance of his career. Things change, and sometimes QBs can't learn to overcome when they've taken a bad beating repeatedly. Sometimes all it takes is the right circumstances. Carr was thrust into a starting role that he and the vast majority of QBs aren't ready for right out of college, and he played behind an O-line that was a sieve for years.

A 7.6 ypa in 2004 would translate to 8th best in the NFL this year among starters.

And that 68.3% completions in 2006 would have been 3rd in the league this year.

No QB came close this year to the average number of sacks taken that Carr had in HOU as a starter.

If you say he couldn't be a capable QB in the NFL, the numbers say you're wrong. But we'll see. I remember how badly people thought Brees sucked after his first 3 years in SD, and how badly Gannon sucked for the predominance of his career. Things change, and sometimes QBs can't learn to overcome when they've taken a bad beating repeatedly. Sometimes all it takes is the right circumstances. Carr was thrust into a starting role that he and the vast majority of QBs aren't ready for right out of college, and he played behind an O-line that was a sieve for years.

All I know is I had high expections for him to compete with the starter job with Jake and when he got the chance to show what he could do once Jake had season ending surgery, he failed miserably. He mechanics were bad, throws were high, or off line, the only think he could manage was short, little dump offs. He lost the confidence of his teammates and he held the ball too long when the rush was coming at him. The Panthers fans at the games had started chanting for Matt Moore after about the 3 game Carr had started and it was very apparent that the Carr experiment was doomed. Fox finally plugged the plug in December, but our season was wrecked at that point, so I blame Fox for pulling him sooner after what I saw when he was playing as the starter.

The guy is not starter material, and I think he has a better chance to be out of the league within the next two years and join Tim Couch as the one of the biggest busts ever drafted #1.

Speaking of NYG QBs, my daughter was had her Middle School for their talent show today and evidently Anthony Wright's daughter goes to her school and was at school tonight. She got his autograph and got check out his SB ring that he was showing off to some of the kids after the talent show. She said he was really nice. :D

I had no idea that he lived in the area, let alone had a teenage daughter that want to the same school as my girl. :wacko:

Totally agree with PSULions and rebdog here. Bronco Billy is off mark on this one.

A lot of the huddle participants believed HOU needed to do something with their OL, and DCarr simply needed a change of scenery.

DCarr got his change of scenery, and he still stunk it up. Royally. Testaverde and Matt Moore outplayed him! Face it -- DCarr is a bust.

HOU did just the opposite of the recommendations here at the Huddle MBs. They kept their OL, and changed QBs. The result? HOU gave up 22 sacks last year -- the first year without DCarr. It's basically the same OL that all of you were bad-mouthing last offseason. Hmmm, they kept the OL, got rid of the QB, and they dropped their "sacks allowed" from 43 to 22.

Carr stinks. Face it.

California cool has got to go!

If he finally figures out how to be a professional (thanks to Vinny T.) maybe he will have a chance to resurrect his career with the Giants. I think he knows this may be his last chance to play NFL football before he hits the surfing circuit! :wacko:

Edited by PSULions

Look, first thing out of the gate, Coughlin said they need to work on his mechanics. Perfect. Carr doesn't have to be a starter, he's just has to be smart, signal in the plays, sit back and learn. That's something he's never had the luxury of doing his entire career. This is as good of an opportunity as he is going to get to resurrect his career because he's not being asked to carry a franchise. Who knows, maybe the Giants have scored a top flight backup. :wacko: