[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Bryant Johnson signs with SF

peepinmofo

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not a bad move, gives him a chance to showcase his stuff and SF certainly can use decent WRs. His problem has alawys been one of concentration though; he's almost as bad as Williamson with his dropsies. Being in SF isn't going to help that.

Guest Chappy

Here's the problem with this signing, sure the 9ers really needed WR help badly and therefore signing Johnson made total sense. However, I doubt they'll be able to use his talents and from a fantasy perspective San Fran is a fantasy wasteland in terms of WR production these days. So possibly the best remaining WR went to a team that cancels out any real hope of him developing into somethng dependable in terms of any consistent fantasy production.

Here's the problem with this signing, sure the 9ers really needed WR help badly and therefore signing Johnson made total sense. However, I doubt they'll be able to use his talents and from a fantasy perspective San Fran is a fantasy wasteland in terms of WR production these days. So possibly the best remaining WR went to a team that cancels out any real hope of him developing into somethng dependable in terms of any consistent fantasy production.

That's not true. They're were only 31 teams with more more passing yards last year. :wacko:

I disagree completely. SF figures to be behind in a lot of games this coming season. Unless they just give up & try to run the clock out, they'll be throwing the ball a ton. It's not about how great the QB is, it's about how many times the QB is forced to put the ball in the air. It's hugh opportunity for Johnson simply through attrition. He's very likely to be SF's best downfield option depending upon how Davis develops, which means he's going to be getting a ton of targets. Given the ability Johnson has flashed, that smells like a nice sleeper for a #2 FF WR.

Edited by Bronco Billy

I disagree completely. SF figures to be behind in a lot of games this coming season. Unless they just give up & try to run the clock out, they'll be throwing the ball a ton. It's not about how great the QB is, it's about how many times the QB is forced to put the ball in the air.

Aw, come on man. I love SF, but even I'm not drinking *that* koolaid.

The Niners threw the 11th fewest passes last year, completed the 4th fewest passes, and racked up the lowest overall passing yards in the NFL. They gave up the 2nd most sacks, achieved the fewest 1st downs, and tied for the 14th most INTs. From both a quantity and quality perspective, their offense (particularly the passing game) sucked last year. And it's going to suck again this year.

Edited by yo mama

I'm not going to say he isn't a nice sleeper, but there is no way that San Fran becomes a passing team without a QB. It is much better to lose 20-14 than 37-10. They are going to run, and run, and run, and run, and run, and run, just in an effort to now throw interceptions and to help them stay in games.

Did everyone forget that Martz is running the offense there this year...can't underestimate the effect an OC has on a team. If Martz can make Kitna look all-pro (or almost at times) than he certainly can do something with Alex Smith (or the kid from MD Shaun Hill).

Alex Smith had a somewhat decent year when Turner was the OC, the drop-off came after Turner left.

I wouldt target any of the SF offensive players early in a draft, but they define what a sleeper can be for 2008 in terms of fantasy production. Alex Smith, Vernon Davis and Bryant Johnson may surprise people this year...because Martz will be running the offensive show (at least this year)

I'm not going to say he isn't a nice sleeper, but there is no way that San Fran becomes a passing team without a QB. It is much better to lose 20-14 than 37-10. They are going to run, and run, and run, and run, and run, and run, just in an effort to now throw interceptions and to help them stay in games.

The passing attack will be dinks and dunks and the leading receiver will be Gore. Even the mightly passing attack of Martz will be stiffled by the 9ers! I think the 9ers D is getting better and better so they will be "in" games longer and therefore the run will be the focus.

The passing attack will be dinks and dunks and the leading receiver will be Gore. Even the mightly passing attack of Martz will be stiffled by the 9ers! I think the 9ers D is getting better and better so they will be "in" games longer and therefore the run will be the focus.

With Martz there I'm not so sure. Hill looked pretty good at times last year and Mike won't settle for dump off passes.

With Martz there I'm not so sure. Hill looked pretty good at times last year and Mike won't settle for dump off passes.

Last year Martz was with a team that had decent receivers. Totally different with the Niners.

Plus, Martz' schemes expose the QB to lots of sacks, and the Niners were already allowing more sacks than any other team (well, tied with KC at any rate). Plus, no team allowed more points last year (444) than the Lions: they HAD to pass. On the other hand, as bad as the Niners were they did a decent job of keeping the score close (13th most points allowed, but only 364 on the season). If SF's DEF takes another step forward I don't think they'll be in a position where they HAVE to pass to stay in the game.

Edited by yo mama

The Niners threw the 11th fewest passes last year, completed the 4th fewest passes, and racked up the lowest overall passing yards in the NFL. They gave up the 2nd most sacks, achieved the fewest 1st downs, and tied for the 14th most INTs. From both a quantity and quality perspective, their offense (particularly the passing game) sucked last year. And it's going to suck again this year.

They were also last in completion percentage, last in average passing yardage per game, last in average QB rating and 29th in longest pass completion for the year. I would agree - it will suck again this year. Whether it is Alex Smith who has proven himself to be substandard or pretending the journeyman Shaun Hill can get it done or that J.T. Sullivan is anything more than a back-up QB - oh sure, it will suck again. The 49ers will have much improved receivers this year since they had almost none last year but an aged and perpetually injured DJax and an over the hill and about to retire Bruce and Bryant Johnson (who failed to secure even a #2 spot with ARZ despite every opportunity) - there is just no reason to expect any real improvement.

The addition of Mike Martz as OC for this offense is one of the most surprising moves I have ever seen. It's like bringing in a Top Gun instructor to train a Walmart softball team.

Oh yes, and get used to the hallmark of a Martz offense - tops in interceptions and sacks and QBs getting plastered.

Its a crap shoot for sure which 49ers we will get this year. Dont forget that Nolan is the head coach and he is a pretty conservative game planner. Besides the 9er O line is no better than a wet paper bag as far as pass protection (they gave up 55 sacks last year!)...and I have seen no movement in free agency on the O line AND two starters on the O line have left via free agency. Oh yeah, and which WRs are going to burn down the feild for Martz? The Reverend Bruce? Djax? Martz utilized Faulk in the pass game for a couple years and I can see that happening in SF until they shore up the O lIne and obtain at least one top notch WR. Martz is going to put the ball in his best players hands as much as possible. That being said I think Gore will have a better year than he had last year but not quite the year he had in 2006....I think he will stack up along side top 5 RBs.

Edited by Pancake

Guest Chappy
I disagree completely. SF figures to be behind in a lot of games this coming season. Unless they just give up & try to run the clock out, they'll be throwing the ball a ton. It's not about how great the QB is, it's about how many times the QB is forced to put the ball in the air. It's hugh opportunity for Johnson simply through attrition. He's very likely to be SF's best downfield option depending upon how Davis develops, which means he's going to be getting a ton of targets. Given the ability Johnson has flashed, that smells like a nice sleeper for a #2 FF WR.

Apologies for not being able to respond in a more timely manner as I got a little busy. You are certainly entitled to disagree with me here as who really knows how the 49er offense will perform this year (especially with Martz at the helm and that defense getting stronger each year which should allow for more opportunities). I was going to go into detail about why I felt the way I did but in my absence several other huddlers have stepped in and done so for me...

Did everyone forget that Martz is running the offense there this year...can't underestimate the effect an OC has on a team. If Martz can make Kitna look all-pro (or almost at times) than he certainly can do something with Alex Smith (or the kid from MD Shaun Hill).

Alex Smith had a somewhat decent year when Turner was the OC, the drop-off came after Turner left.

I wouldt target any of the SF offensive players early in a draft, but they define what a sleeper can be for 2008 in terms of fantasy production. Alex Smith, Vernon Davis and Bryant Johnson may surprise people this year...because Martz will be running the offensive show (at least this year)

This really says it all and sure maybe Martz can help things along but he'll still be working with Alex Smith. Now I will agree with you on one thing, several Niners present as potential sleepers this year (not Gore for obvious reasons) but really what is a sleeper? A player who hasn't really broken onto the scene as of yet but possesses the ability to do so and has the potential for a break out year. But that's just it...POTENTIAL. There's a greater chance of it happening than in the past but it's not full-proof. Johnson very well could break out and post a 1,200 yard season with 8-10 tds on 80 rec. However if the line doesn't give A. Smith time to get him the ball, or the niners use Gore as the focus and then V. Davis and Johnson as a 3rd option his numbers won't reach such lofty expectations and could be more like 40 rec. for 700-800 yds and 3-4 tds. So IMO, in the end, Johnson is more like a #3 fantasy WR with potential to be a #2 but also the potential to be a #4 as well.

They were also last in completion percentage, last in average passing yardage per game, last in average QB rating and 29th in longest pass completion for the year. I would agree - it will suck again this year. Whether it is Alex Smith who has proven himself to be substandard or pretending the journeyman Shaun Hill can get it done or that J.T. Sullivan is anything more than a back-up QB - oh sure, it will suck again. The 49ers will have much improved receivers this year since they had almost none last year but an aged and perpetually injured DJax and an over the hill and about to retire Bruce and Bryant Johnson (who failed to secure even a #2 spot with ARZ despite every opportunity) - there is just no reason to expect any real improvement.

The addition of Mike Martz as OC for this offense is one of the most surprising moves I have ever seen. It's like bringing in a Top Gun instructor to train a Walmart softball team.

Oh yes, and get used to the hallmark of a Martz offense - tops in interceptions and sacks and QBs getting plastered.

:wacko:

At least the 9ers have a high draft pick because of thier crappy 2007 standings. Oh, wait......

Edited by Pancake

:wacko:

Not meaning to cast a dark shadow on your team but since DeBartolo left (the one that wanted to win, not the sister), the team has been on a downslide that they cannot pull out of. The defense has been improved in many measures and their biggest challenge is fighting against the situations that their own offense has left them in. Grabbing an early QB was a prudent and needed move but Smith just doesn't appear to have any of the tools to be even an average QB. The one year (2005) the 49ers wanted to take the plunge on a franchise QB unfortunately proved to be the worse QB class in decades (Smith, A Rodgers, Campbell, Frye and Walter - ouch). The year before it could have been Manning or Rivers or Roethlisberger. The year after it could have been Young, Leinart or Cutler. But 2005 was a bad year for QB and that is central to the problems of the 49ers - but by no means the only problem with the offense.

Having lived in California during the glory years for the 49ers, it is weird to see them so stripped of offensive punch. But they gotta get a better QB and haven't given up on Smith yet - nor have a decent option if they do.

If the 49ers try to run a classic Mike Martz offense with the talent they have now, they will be 3-13 at BEST. If they lead the league in running play percentage, they have a chance to make the playoffs. I really don't see how this isn't going to be an absolute disaster. The offensive coach does not match the offensive personnel whatsoever.

Not meaning to cast a dark shadow on your team but since DeBartolo left (the one that wanted to win, not the sister), the team has been on a downslide that they cannot pull out of. The defense has been improved in many measures and their biggest challenge is fighting against the situations that their own offense has left them in. Grabbing an early QB was a prudent and needed move but Smith just doesn't appear to have any of the tools to be even an average QB. The one year (2005) the 49ers wanted to take the plunge on a franchise QB unfortunately proved to be the worse QB class in decades (Smith, A Rodgers, Campbell, Frye and Walter - ouch). The year before it could have been Manning or Rivers or Roethlisberger. The year after it could have been Young, Leinart or Cutler. But 2005 was a bad year for QB and that is central to the problems of the 49ers - but by no means the only problem with the offense.

Having lived in California during the glory years for the 49ers, it is weird to see them so stripped of offensive punch. But they gotta get a better QB and haven't given up on Smith yet - nor have a decent option if they do.

Sometimes the truth hurts that's all. I am going to go kick some more rocks now :wacko:

Figures DMD would be the voice of reason. People are way overestimating Martz' impact IMO