[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

DeAngelo Hall to the Raiders

Robash

Source: Falcons to trade Hall for Raiders' second-round pick in '08 draft

By Chris Mortensen

ESPN.com

(Archive)

Updated: March 15, 2008, 5:39 PM ET

Comment

Email

Print

Hall

The Atlanta Falcons have reached an agreement in principle with the Oakland Raiders to trade cornerback DeAngelo Hall for the Raiders' second-round pick in the 2008 draft, pending the Raiders finalizing a contract with Hall, according to a source close to the Falcons.

Hall is close to agreeing to a contract with the Raiders that will pay him just below what Asante Samuel signed with the Eagles, according to the source. Samuel signed a six-year deal worth a reported $57 million, with $20 million guaranteed.

Hall is a former first-rounder taken with the eighth pick in the 2004 draft.

Chris Mortensen covers the NFL for ESPN.

:wacko:

nice little payday...that hugh deal is the reason why he isnt a Giant lol

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

nice little payday...that hugh deal is the reason why he isnt a Giant lol

Wow, the raiders are spending a lot of money, but really getting better.

McFadden with their first round pick. Then get some OL in the later rounds. Maybe in 2 years they could be a playoff team?

I think the Raiders are going to be something to deal with. With 2 lock down corners. Young LB's and Safetys. A decent DL. If they can get that Offensive Weapon name McFadden. Its going to be pretty rough to stop the Raiders. I can't believe I just said that. But they have a real young core. They just need to gel. If not this year, most definitely next year.

Edited by loyalboyd

Falcons CB DeAngelo Hall refuted an ESPN report that he will be traded to the Raiders.

"Somebody's throwing something out there," Hall told the Atlanta Journal Constitution on Saturday afternoon. Neither Falcons GM Thomas Dimitroff nor Hall's agent have returned phone calls.

An unproven QB with a garbage body, a WR with 2 bad knees, and no offensive line? :wacko:

You should not believe everything the media say. Whether he is over weight or not. He could become a pretty good QB. The WR issue who knows. Now that OL. I can't say anything nice about them. But again who knows sometimes its just playing together for a OL to come together. Point of reference Giants OL and Packers OL. They didn't upgrade they just kept playing together. Sometimes reps together are more important than having 5 superstars on the line. Because when its all said and done. They won't look good either till they gel together. So who knows.

If you don't have an o-line, it doesn't matter who you have at QB. If you don't have a d-line, it doesn't matter who have in the secondary.

If they don't trade down, the pick that makes the most sense is Dorsey or the top DE.

Also, if the trade goes through, it means that they either have to give a similar deal to Asomugha or let him go next season.

If they don't trade down, the pick that makes the most sense is Dorsey or the top DE.

Disagree with this.

Resigning Kelly and signing Giants' William Joesph will be the most you'll see the Raiders doing with the DT position this offseason.

I think in Al Davis' mind, signing Hall was his alternative to drafting a top DT. Now his two amazing corners can keep the WR's tied down long enough or the mediocre DLine to get to the QB.

Now he can make himself happy and draft McFadden.

If you don't have an o-line, it doesn't matter who you have at QB. If you don't have a d-line, it doesn't matter who have in the secondary.

Also, if the trade goes through, it means that they either have to give a similar deal to Asomugha or let him go next season.

Well that is true u do have to have a D-line and a OL. But that comes with patience. The D-line was just injured. I believe they have a solid DT with T. Sands and T. Kelly. Just because people not on the news or running their mouth don't mean they are bad. Those two are very good DT. A nice pair to be honest. They do need another DE. I can't deny that. But everyone has holes and people have to step up. Now that OL. I don't know. I am hoping they gel and play well finally. No I am by no means a Raider fan. But I do like what Al Davis does. People can call him names and what not. But he is one of the most knowledgeable owners around. I believe the Raiders are in for a decent season and 8-8 or 9-7 is not out the realm of possibility.

But again who knows sometimes its just playing together for a OL to come together. Point of reference Giants OL and Packers OL. They didn't upgrade they just kept playing together.

i have to dissagree...kind off, the whole left side of the giants line is new. First Year Tackle and second year guard in Dhiel and Snee.

jettisoning Pettifalsestartthengetmyqbkilledgout was a definate upgrade

Regarding the OL I think you havn't really been paying attention and just listening to some biased media outlets...if you actually watched their games last year or payed attention to the stats you would have seen the OL improved almost remarkably from 2006 to 2007.

Here are some sample stats:

In 2006, they gave up an astonishing 72+ sacks...in 2007 I believe they gave up around half of that

In 2006, the Raiders were near the bottom half of the league in rushing yards, in 2007 they finished 6th overall

The above happend with a simple re-shuffling of existing personel and additions of Carlisle from Den and the Center from SF for part of the year...but more than anything, the switch to zone-blocking under new OL coach Cable (from ATL) really made the difference.

Yes, at times during the end of the season, the OL play could have been more consistent, but to blindly ignore stats such as ones listed above just proves that some posters simply want to post negative remarks no matter how limited their knowledge of the real situation is.

Edited by Return Of S&B

Regarding the OL I think you havn't really been paying attention and just listening to some biased media outlets...if you actually watched their games last year or payed attention to the stats you would have seen the OL improved almost remarkably from 2006 to 2007.

Now his two amazing corners can keep the WR's tied down long enough or the mediocre DLine to get to the QB.

I disagree. WRs have a hugh advantage over CBs the longer the QB has in the pocket. If the Raiders are banking on the CBs holding up the WRs so the DL can get pressure it could be a long year. I think if this is what the Raiders are thinking they got it ass-backwards.

I disagree. WRs have a hugh advantage over CBs the longer the QB has in the pocket. If the Raiders are banking on the CBs holding up the WRs so the DL can get pressure it could be a long year. I think if this is what the Raiders are thinking they got it ass-backwards.

Keep in mind though that the mediocre Dline isn't going to be the focus of the pressure. Rob Ryan has a huge book of blitz schemes, and he makes sure to have the talented LBs and S get invovlved at least 1/3 downs.

Oakland was obviously going to improve over 2006, but they were still in the bottom half of the league in sacks and sacks allowed.

The secondary will be one of the best if the trade goes through, but you won't have many draft picks. If they take DMC, DT will still be a big problem and the secondary will be less effective. You still need help at WR too.

A rookie QB/RB combo and weak WRs will be asking for a lot of pressure from opponents. Luckily the AFC west is weak on rush defense.

Edited by budlitebrad

Oakland is the worst place for Hall. He hated the Falcons for quite a few reasons. The main one being his incompatibility with the carousel of coaches and front office.

Now he might be going to a team that has had 4 coaches in 6 years. Soon to be 5 in 7 years. Al Davis = :wacko:

Edited by kingfish247

Point of reference Giants OL and Packers OL. They didn't upgrade they just kept playing together.

Not true. Tauch and Clifton have been around for nearly ten years. Scott Wells put it all together a few years ago and this was the guards 2nd season together. Coston was inserted into the starting guard spot halfway through the season. I would say he was an upgrade.

Wow, the raiders are spending a lot of money, but really getting better.

McFadden with their first round pick. Then get some OL in the later rounds. Maybe in 2 years they could be a playoff team?

Disagee...out of these two teams...it will be the Falcons who will be the playoff team in two years!! Mark my words!

Ya... I know...you laugh now, but I know most of you didn't see the Browns making such a quick turn around... I'm not saying next year, but... the Falcons will be in the mix a couple years from now.

Disagee...out of these two teams...it will be the Falcons who will be the playoff team in two years!! Mark my words!

Ya... I know...you laugh now, but I know most of you didn't see the Browns making such a quick turn around... I'm not saying next year, but... the Falcons will be in the mix a couple years from now.

Both teams blow and will continue to do so!

God knows weirder things have happened, but what do you base your statement on? They have cut a lot of starters so far... and that's it. And the Browns "surprise" turnaround came after a few years of Romeo building that team, with bad luck standing in their path each year. It all came together based off a plan they had in place.... not magic. Granted Anderson might have been magic...

The Falcons could be close to trading defensive back DeAngelo Hall to the Oakland Raiders for second- and sixth-round picks in the April draft, according to a person close to the negotiations.
www.ajc.com

That'll work. :wacko:

Move a talented, albeit me-first malcontent player & have 4 first day picks - their own 1st & 2nd round picks + two more 2nd rounders courtesy of Houston (Schaub trade) & now Oakland.

6th rounder is nice stockpiling too.

With the FA signing of Turner, the Falcons now have a lot of options going into this draft. I'll be interested to see how Dimitroff handles it.

www.ajc.com

That'll work. :wacko:

Move a talented, albeit me-first malcontent player & have 4 first day picks - their own 1st & 2nd round picks + two more 2nd rounders courtesy of Houston (Schaub trade) & now Oakland.

6th rounder is nice stockpiling too.

With the FA signing of Turner, the Falcons now have a lot of options going into this draft. I'll be interested to see how Dimitroff handles it.

I forgot you guys got Michael Turner...

That is a lot of picks you are stock piling!