[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Julius Peppers spotted at Nuggets' game

Bronco Billy

link

Peppers at Nuggets' win; reason unknown

By Jeff Legwold, Rocky Mountain News

Monday, March 17, 2008

Carolina Panthers general manager Marty Hurney says he isn't trying to trade Julius Peppers, but among those sitting prominently courtside in the Pepsi Center for a Nuggets game Sunday night was the three-time Pro Bowl defensive end...

Peppers, coming off a career-worst 2 1/2 sacks in '07 and having finished the year on injured reserve, has been the subject of trade rumors around the league for weeks, so much so that Hurney went public earlier this month saying there was "nothing to it."

Peppers' agent, Carl Carey, also publicly has denied the ever-spinning rumor mill about his client. Even with the subpar year in '07, Peppers still is looking for more money from the Panthers or anybody else than the Broncos have shown they are willing to spend so far in this free-agency season.

Peppers is scheduled to count slightly more than $15 million against the salary cap this year, and thus far the Panthers haven't shown much inclination to renegotiate the deal before seeing Peppers play in '08.

:wacko:

Looks like Shanahan is dumpster diving through other teams' trash yet again on the D-line.

:wacko: Are you serious?

That's a good point. His 2 1/2 sacks in 14 games last year would have been 4th best on the DEN D-line. Okay, bring him on. He's better than most of the flotsam they've got there now.

Edited by Bronco Billy

:D Are you serious?

Trash is a pretty strong term but one has to at least wonder what Peppers' deal is.

From here :D

"Things haven't been going the way we would hope for, or that I would hope for," Peppers told a handful of reporters in mid-November. "Am I playing as bad as people make it seem? No. But am I playing as good as I have in the past? No."

Some critics in Carolina point to the fact that Peppers doesn't participate in the offseason conditioning program. Others wonder whether he truly enjoys football. There have been times on the field when he seems genuinely disinterested.

While no one knows for sure if he's truly disinterested (except for Peppers himself), it's not good. You just can't be a DE in the NFL and have one ounce of lack of interest.

Edited by kingfish247

I wasn't aware that you have to be a resident to visit.

So you're hypothesis is that Peppers flies around the United States in the offseason watching NBA games in various cities?

Well, that's a LOT more plausible than his being here on any kind of football business, especially knowing that he and CAR are at loggerheads on his compensation and that DEN needs D-line help so desperately. Sorry I ever brought it up.

So you're hypothesis is that Peppers flies around the United States in the offseason watching NBA games in various cities?

Well, that's a LOT more plausible than his being here on any kind of football business, especially knowing that he and CAR are at loggerheads on his compensation and that DEN needs D-line help so desperately. Sorry I ever brought it up.

Or maybe a vacation in Colorado? :wacko:

Didn't he play with guys from UNC?

There may have been 1 or 2 of his friends playing

Just my point....there are a lot of different reasons he could be in Denver. I just find it funny that all this speculation arises any time a player shows up somewhere.

That's a good point. His 2 1/2 sacks in 14 games last year would have been 4th best on the DEN D-line. Okay, bring him on. He's better than most of the flotsam they've got there now.

You know what BB, since your return, you've done nothing but spew solid (or at worst, somewhat-solid) info, but this is plain old stupid. Please just shut up now. Thanks.

While no one knows for sure if he's truly disinterested (except for Peppers himself), it's not good. You just can't be a DE in the NFL and have one ounce of lack of interest.
Living in Chapel Hill, I am blessed with seeing a lot of the former UNC players, basketball and football being the most frequent, come back to visit on occasion. Mostly for big games and what not. I remember the 2005 UNC vs. Duke basketball game on senior night I had the opportunity to hang out with J. Pep (that's what people that know him call him here in The Hill). There was an "after party" at a local bar, and I was with a small group of the players (Jawad Wiliams, Melvin Scott, and Jackie Manuel) on the basketball team heading into this "after party". As we waited in the parking lot for various friends to show up, J. Pep rolled up in his Range, and stepped out with a cigarette in his hand. Once he saw people in the parking lot, he dropped it at his feet.This really caught my attention and I noticed just before he closed the door, he reached in his truck and grabbed a pack of Newports. I never saw him light one up after that, but never really paid too much attention. The first thing I thought when I saw hime smoking was "Fastest Defensive player in the NFL. Physical specimen who can play any sport...and he smokes Newports." He had 13 sacks the following year. Crazy...

I really hope he didn't lose interest and doesn't smoke the 'Ports anymore, because he is a treat to watch when he is on top of his game.

The only guy that he maybe would be going to see is Chris Wilcox, who played at Maryland when he was at UNC. That being said, given the fact that he appreciates basketball as much as he does (I played in the same gym as he did on a regular basis here at UNC) maybe he really does travel around to watch "sporting events". After all you do have A.I., Mello, Wilcox, Durant, and a myriad of other show time players to go and watch. :wacko:
You know what BB, since your return, you've done nothing but spew solid (or at worst, somewhat-solid) info, but this is plain old stupid. Please just shut up now. Thanks.

:D

Edited by KSUChiefsTarheelFan

Well, geez, I'm really sorry darin. I'll make sure that I PM you with anything I plan on posting in the future for your review so that I don't offend you in the future by putting up something that you don't happen to agree with.

Seriously. Who the hell are you?

While I agree with most in here that Peppers could simply have been attending a basketball game to see some old collegiate buddies, isn't it at least possible that there is more to it that this?

Denver needs D line help and they are exploring a trade with the Jets for Robertson, why not something similar with Carolina? We should cut BB some slack here because all the elements of a potential deal are there...all the while Peppers sits courtside in Denver.

Well, geez, I'm really sorry darin. I'll make sure that I PM you with anything I plan on posting in the future for your review so that I don't offend you in the future by putting up something that you don't happen to agree with.

Unbunch your panties and grow a set. I simply thought it was a pretty dumb statement. Get over it.