[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Jets - QB in first 2 rounds?

BeeR

Matt Ryan? Nobody is talking about this and maybe with good reason - Ryan probably isn't the next Brady or Manning and Pennington isn't so terrible - but Pennington is also not the most reliable guy in the whole wide world either (throwing-wise or health-wise), and even Ryan would be an upgrade on arm strength to at least avg in that regard.

But OK, rd 2 looks a lot more likely. So Brohm or maybe even Flacco? Jets fans would you like to see it?

Matt Ryan? Nobody is talking about this and maybe with good reason - Ryan probably isn't the next Brady or Manning and Pennington isn't so terrible - but Pennington is also not the most reliable guy in the whole wide world either (throwing-wise or health-wise), and even Ryan would be an upgrade on arm strength to at least avg in that regard.

But OK, rd 2 looks a lot more likely. So Brohm or maybe even Flacco? Jets fans would you like to see it?

The irony is that nobody was calling Tom Brady the next anybody when he was in the draft.

Edited by The Vatican Hitsquad

NO WAY. They just went in to win now mode with their little FA spending spree, and they still dont know what they have in Clemens. I want to see the youngster out there with a revamped OL and a healthy duo of wrs in Cotch and Coles. Something he didnt have last year.They still have needs at WR,DB, and need depth at OL. I still think they could go Gholston at 6, and WR or DB in rd2.

The same reason why Kyle Boller was a first round pick...

Drafting is hard because you don't have the players in house but they had him at Michigan everyday. Some guys are late bloomers and they had Henson, but still...

But then the Packers had Kurt Warner too. :wacko:

lol I think Detmer lasted the longest too

Anyway, you're right, it's too soon to give up on Clemens, but he hasn't exactly dazzled anyone either and the competition would be worthwhile - what's Pennington's contract situation? If they don't let him go when it either runs out or gets prohibitive I'll be amazed.

Do not draft QB's in the first 2 rounds. There's too much historical data to show that a franchise QB can be found much later.

Total Hi-jack but thats' only about 60% true.

A quick look has about 19 teams with 1st or 2nd round picks at QB (not always their pick though)

13 teams have either a late pick or UDFA but 4 of those teams have an early pick waiting to take over (or just a mess like ATL).

But I'll agree that its still about 50/50 that the early pick pans out and only about 30% that he's a success.

Total Hi-jack but thats' only about 60% true.

A quick look has about 19 teams with 1st or 2nd round picks at QB (not always their pick though)

13 teams have either a late pick or UDFA but 4 of those teams have an early pick waiting to take over (or just a mess like ATL).

But I'll agree that its still about 50/50 that the early pick pans out and only about 30% that he's a success.

Since drafting is as much of a gamble as any decision an NFL team has to make, I think you illustrated my point well.

And I've seen much worse thread hijacking than that!

The Jets going QB? Can't see that at all. Clemens hasn't even gotten his feet wet, and it's far too early to judge him in any way shape or form. No QB, I don't care who, could have played well behind that Jets O line last year. I think the plan is to see what Clemens can do with a new LG and RT... and if he goes 2-6, they have Pennington to plug in. The Jets will go defense in rounds one and two. The have addressed the most glaring holes on the roster except for a pass rush.

They don't want a splashy QB.... they want a game manager that unlike Pennington, can stretch the field every now and again with an arm that can hit the deep route that doesn't make it rain. Clemens may be that guy.

The Jets didn't even bother to show up at Ryan's pro day. Now, what player with the initials VG will the Jets take in the first round?

Its not as clear as it was a few weeks that Gholston will be available at 6. I hope so, if not Id like to see the Jets trade down and grab a CB. If they do stay at 6 and grab Gholston, I can see them going WR in rd2.