[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Benson's Career In Question...

Guest Chappy

Guest Chappy

Benson's Career In Question

Rumors are starting to come out that are saying the ankle injury that Bears RB Cedric Benson suffered last year could be serious enough to threaten his career.

Not good news for a player that is close to being considered a bust by many. The Bears are expected to draft a running back in the draft, but we won't know the extent of Benson's injury until training camp begins.

| March 19, 2008 4:46 PM

http://www.profootballweekly.com/PFW/The+W...m?mode=nfcnorth

I wonder if this rumor will have any legs to it considering the source.

Guest Chappy
Wow... Talk about busts a plenty as far as that RB class goes... Brown, Caddie and Benson have dominated the injury reports...

And to think at one point it was viewed as a solid if not great class. :wacko:

Thomas Jones is probably laughing his ass off right now.

Jones got shafted by the Bears. While I hope Benson's injury isn't serious, it'd serve the Bears right if it turns out bad. Though, I've always been a fan of the (lesser) Adrian Peterson. He's not a stud or anything, but he's proven himself a capable back-up and spot starter. The Bears could do worse than give him a fighting chance at the starting position in camp.

Edited by yo mama

Until he remembers which team he plays for. :wacko:

The Jets are going to be in a better position to win next year than the Bears. The Bears are an absolute disaster on offense right now.

Jones got shafted by the Bears. While I hope Benson's injury isn't serious, it'd serve the Bears right if it turns out bad.

That's exactly how I feel. Jones carried the Bears offense on his back in '04 and Angelo screwed him the following April by drafting Benson. And if we believe what we read in the papers, Benson was not particularly well liked in the locker room. His "I should be the starter" comments understandably rubbed Jones the wrong way as well. The Bears also supposedly claimed that they dealt Jones because he and Benson couldn't co-exist in the same locker room.

The Bears also supposedly claimed that they dealt Jones because he and Benson couldn't co-exist in the same locker room.

The decisions to trade Benson and stick with Grossman were suspect. Couple that with the implosion of their defensive dominance and you sort of have to scratch your head a little bit, if you're a Bears' fan. Course, I'm a Niners fan so who the hell I'm I to talk.

The Jets are going to be in a better position to win next year than the Bears. The Bears are an absolute disaster on offense right now.

That's exactly how I feel. Jones carried the Bears offense on his back in '04 and Angelo screwed him the following April by drafting Benson. And if we believe what we read in the papers, Benson was not particularly well liked in the locker room. His "I should be the starter" comments understandably rubbed Jones the wrong way as well. The Bears also supposedly claimed that they dealt Jones because he and Benson couldn't co-exist in the same locker room.

Here's what I don't get: what did the Bears owe Jones after 2004? To not have ANY competition in the backfield? You know that's not the way it works. Now, Benson came in, and acted like a schmuck and finances took over when it came time to decide who had to go: it was the more movable Jones.

In fact, the Bears didn't "do him wrong" - when after 2005 Jones made it clear he would hold out because of the situation, it's well known that Angelo talked him back to the team on a handshake deal that would see him traded after the season ended. And that's just what he did after the Super Bowl appearance: kept his handshake deal and traded Jones.

The Bears wanted to add competition to the backfield, and Jones didn't handle it as professionally as many would have you believe. He kept the starters job the entire time he was in ChiTown as well, so its not like he got benched for that pansy-ass either.

Here's what I don't get: what did the Bears owe Jones after 2004? To not have ANY competition in the backfield? You know that's not the way it works. Now, Benson came in, and acted like a schmuck and finances took over when it came time to decide who had to go: it was the more movable Jones.

In fact, the Bears didn't "do him wrong" - when after 2005 Jones made it clear he would hold out because of the situation, it's well known that Angelo talked him back to the team on a handshake deal that would see him traded after the season ended. And that's just what he did after the Super Bowl appearance: kept his handshake deal and traded Jones.

The Bears wanted to add competition to the backfield, and Jones didn't handle it as professionally as many would have you believe. He kept the starters job the entire time he was in ChiTown as well, so its not like he got benched for that pansy-ass either.

Fair points, all. But the decision to back Benson - or at least not to unequivocally back Jones as their man in 2005 - was clearly a mistake. The Bears had a proven performer and opted to go in another direction. Bird in the hand, etc. etc.

Edited by yo mama

We've been scratching our collective heads so often for so long, none of us have fingers left beyond the last knuckle.

In recent years you've had more good than bad. I mean, the Bears aren't "Dolphins bad," or anything.

Edited by yo mama

In recent years you've had more good than bad. I mean, the Bears are "Dolphins bad," or anything.

Sure but the potential was there to be so much more than a "one SB appearance and back in the pit" team. We're looking at 4-12 in 2008 just two years removed from having everything set to win the whole thing, apart from having witless coaching.

I'm sick of bobbing to the surface once a decade to stage a playoff game then spending years on end as a laughing stock.

You don't use the #4 overall pick to "add competition to the backfield" - you use it to replace the guy currently in your backfield. Nobody uses that high of a pick on anything less than a projected workhorse stud.

And while I agree that the Bears didn't owe Jones anything (and that Jones was no angel, despite looking like one in comparison to Benson), he lead the team in rushing AND receptions in '04, so I don't blame him for being a bit miffed. I'd be pretty pissed if I put up the year that Jones did in '04 (with that supporting cast) and my GM tried to run me out of town. If Benson had an AP- or LT-like rookie year, Jones would've likely been gone by the summer of '06.

You don't use the #4 overall pick to "add competition to the backfield" - you use it to replace the guy currently in your backfield. Nobody uses that high of a pick on anything less than a projected workhorse stud.

And while I agree that the Bears didn't owe Jones anything (and that Jones was no angel, despite looking like one in comparison to Benson), he lead the team in rushing AND receptions in '04, so I don't blame him for being a bit miffed. I'd be pretty pissed if I put up the year that Jones did in '04 (with that supporting cast) and my GM tried to run me out of town. If Benson had an AP- or LT-like rookie year, Jones would've likely been gone by the summer of '06.

Exactly.

Why do you ride TJ's dick so much? 940 yards, 7 TDs and they're "set" in the backfield? They needed a play maker on a woeful O, swung for the fences and missed. And in the process handled the Jones situation decently, when he decided to hold out because they took an RB at #4. For cryin' out loud, he didn't even stay healthy that entire year, and they had to turn to....Anthony Thomas. :wacko: Benson was worse, but if they knew that they wouldn't have taken him. YES they had other problem to be sure on the O side of the ball, but there wasn't a QB or WR worth taking there at the time IIRC.

Excuse me.

Doesn't a player have to have a career before it can be threatened?

:wacko:

He had a college career and a couple totes in the Pro's.