[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

49ers guilty of tampering

BillyBalata

Reported on ESPN, the league has found 49ers tampered with Lance Briggs.

Penalized by losing the 5th round pick this year and have to swap 3rd round picks with the Bears.

Wow that's a major penalty.

The Packers were forced to give up their 2nd round pick(Amp Lee) when they signed Mike Holmgren too.

The more I read about this, the more it seems like the Niners got screwed. Most of the league appears to be doing it, and what sort of evidence is there?

Matt Maiocco of The Press Democrat speculates it was two 20 second phone calls (missed calls) made to Briggs' agent Rosenhaus sometime during the regular season. The intent of the phone calls is unknown. IMO the punishment was a bit much, losing the 5th rounder should have been enough but for them to have to swap their 3rd rounders as well was excessive. The punishment IMO should not have benefited the Bears in anyway it should have only punished the 49ers. There could obviously be more to it than just the phone calls. Either way what a total waste considering they showed little to no interest in Briggs once FA started (probably why).

Matt Maiocco of The Press Democrat speculates it was two 20 second phone calls (missed calls) made to Briggs' agent Rosenhaus sometime during the regular season. The intent of the phone calls is unknown. IMO the punishment was a bit much, losing the 5th rounder should have been enough but for them to have to swap their 3rd rounders as well was excessive. The punishment IMO should not have benefited the Bears in anyway it should have only punished the 49ers. There could obviously be more to it than just the phone calls. Either way what a total waste considering they showed little to no interest in Briggs once FA started (probably why).

I bet contract year players or possible 2nd yr franchise taggers are called the time. This is bull. Considering that its been going on for years. So if they want to do that. I guess everyone will be fined. And Kansas City got a pair of 3rd rounders coming their way as well.

but for them to have to swap their 3rd rounders as well was excessive. The punishment IMO should not have benefited the Bears in anyway it should have only punished the 49ers.

Welcome to the Goodell god complex... What we're witnessing here is the start of his Jihad on the league. Get used to it. His power trip is picking up steam and will be unquestioned.

Edited by piratesownninjas

The only way that this could have happend is for the Chicago Bears organization to file a grievance against San Francisco. I wonder if as an organization they will now feel a backlash from the other teams in the league (ie. everyone continues to look the other way when the other teams do it, but if Chicago even sneezes in front of another team's player, they will have a grievance filed against them from now on).

Anyone else hear Calvin Pace in a Sirius radio interview before the combine? He mentioned that his agent had been contacted by the Jets, Dolphins, and some other team. When's the investigation starting for those teams?

My understanding is that only a team whose current players have been tampered with, can file a grievance with the league regarding tampering... and that the league won't investigate tampering unless such a grievance has been filed.

Anyone else hear Calvin Pace in a Sirius radio interview before the combine? He mentioned that his agent had been contacted by the Jets, Dolphins, and some other team. When's the investigation starting for those teams?

I think there's a difference between these two cases, in that what the 49ers are being penalized for happened during the regular season. Not during the offseason. Briggs was under contract with the Bears.

In a case like Pace's, it was the offseason, players are about to become free agents. While technically they aren't allowed to negotiate with any other teams until a certain date, at the same time, their contract with their current team has, or is about to expire, so it appears NFL management,Goodell, and individual teams themselves, for the most part generally don't have a problem with this part.

Welcome to the Goodell god complex... What we're witnessing here is the start of his Jihad on the league. Get used to it. His power trip is picking up steam and will be unquestioned.

Jihad. :wacko:

I wouldn't mind sending Pacman and Vick to Guantanamo but Goodell is trying to set in place league policies he thinks are well overdue. Last year players tired of a few bad apples making all players look bad have him trying to change what is accepted and what isn't.

I applaud him for it. He lowered Jared Allen's suspension when it looked like he was changing in a good way, let KRob and Ricky Williams back in when he thought they were responding but cracked down on others. It looks like he'll let Odell back in because he's responding too(it seems).

Give it a little time. I think what he's doing is tough and I haven't seen him abuse his authority yet.