[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Huddle NFL Mock Draft Discussion Thread

Avernus

so we don't clutter up that thread...I have started a new one.....

I'd also like to ask BudLiteBrad if he thinks the Dolphins will move Jason Taylor because I peronally think that the "other" long would have been a better choice...but what is your thought process in taking Chris Long over Jake Long?

so we don't clutter up that thread...I have started a new one.....

I'd also like to ask BudLiteBrad if he thinks the Dolphins will move Jason Taylor because I peronally think that the "other" long would have been a better choice...but what is your thought process in taking Chris Long over Jake Long?

I think he went with Chris Long over Jake because Bill Parcells is in town, and he never drafts offensive players in the first.

I think he went with Chris Long over Jake because Bill Parcells is in town, and he never drafts offensive players in the first.

Keyshawn? (Wasn't that him? No, Rich Kotite)

Bledsoe?

Terry Glenn? (He was drafted before Parcells got there maybe?)

Phil Simms?

Edited by Sturphy

that was what I thought...

but I was thinking they need to keep a QB alive ....if you look at the roster....OL help is needed as they only have 7 players on the OL and their defense wasn't exactly the problem....

on top of Parcells not taking offensive players, he really just doesn't draft playmakers early...

the only reason I see him going DE 1st is if Taylor is getting traded and they want to add a replacement DE....

the only 2 players on the OL that I know are good for Miami is Justin Smiley and Vernon Carey.......Carey plays OT, but is versatile...and having 2 stout tackles would be a good idea in the rebuilding process...

Edited by Avernus

Keyshawn? (Wasn't that him? No, Rich Kotite)

Bledsoe?

Terry Glenn? (He was drafted before Parcells got there maybe?)

Phil Simms?

He's been in the league for how many years and you came up with three guys, with Terry Glenn being the last in the 1996 draft. Parcells goes after defensive players to build up the team around, then focuses on the offensive side of the ball. Drew Bledsoe was a sure fire franchise quarterback who has way more hype than anyone in this draft does on the offensive side of the ball...

He's been in the league for how many years and you came up with three guys, with Terry Glenn being the last in the 1996 draft. Parcells goes after defensive players to build up the team around, then focuses on the offensive side of the ball. Drew Bledsoe was a sure fire franchise quarterback who has way more hype than anyone in this draft does on the offensive side of the ball...

I dunno...you can't go by history when a team has a glaring need at OL...

I dunno...you can't go by history when a team has a glaring need at OL...

It's Parcells, I think he's shown to be pretty consistent and predictable. They have a glaring need for a quarterback and a few other positions as well. I personally think Jason Taylor is as good as good come draft day, which would open a glaring need at DE...

Another piece of history is that the last time something other than a DE or QB was taken with the first pick was Orlando Pace in what... 96 or 97? I'm not saying it can't happen, I just doubt that it does.

It's Parcells, I think he's shown to be pretty consistent and predictable. They have a glaring need for a quarterback and a few other positions as well. I personally think Jason Taylor is as good as good come draft day, which would open a glaring need at DE...

Another piece of history is that the last time something other than a DE or QB was taken with the first pick was Orlando Pace in what... 96 or 97? I'm not saying it can't happen, I just doubt that it does.

I'm going to assume you said jason Taylor is "as good as gone"....not "as good as good" :wacko:

but when mostly everyone says the 2 safest picks are McFadden and Jake Long....and the Dolphins need help at OL...it makes perfect sense to me...

they have 5 DE's and it will be 4 if Taylor goes....

but they only have 2 Tackles on the OL...

I mean, I personally think Jake Long has Miami written all over him...

I know you said they need QB too as that is clear as day....but I'd personally try to put together a sound OL that has chemistry before I get my QB and I am willing to bet that Miami will take a QB next year early in the draft anyways....

not that Chris Long is a bad pick at all....but I think going Jake Long 1st regardless if Taylor is gone should be the way to go...

Edited by Avernus

I'm going to assume you said jason Taylor is "as good as gone"....not "as good as good" :wacko:

but when mostly everyone says the 2 safest picks are McFadden and Jake Long....and the Dolphins need help at OL...it makes perfect sense to me...

they have 5 DE's and it will be 4 if Taylor goes....

but they only have 2 Tackles on the OL...

I mean, I personally think Jake Long has Miami written all over him...

I know you said they need QB too as that is clear as day....but I'd personally try to put together a sound OL that has chemistry before I get my QB and I am willing to bet that Miami will take a QB next year early in the draft anyways....

not that Chris Long is a bad pick at all....but I think going Jake Long 1st regardless if Taylor is gone should be the way to go...

I haven't heard that McFadden is one of the safest picks in the draft... Heck, one of the most respected minds in drafting doesn't think he's the best runningback in the class, but that's something else entirely.

I love Jake Long, but this is the same guy that scouts thought was better suited for Right Tackle a few weeks ago. I think he can play left tackle just fine, but I also don't think that it's an easy pick at no.1 for him.

If they take Chris Long it's because they truly believe he's a game breaker. Of the four remaining DE's not named Taylor, how many of those are game breakers?

I haven't heard that McFadden is one of the safest picks in the draft... Heck, one of the most respected minds in drafting doesn't think he's the best runningback in the class, but that's something else entirely.

I love Jake Long, but this is the same guy that scouts thought was better suited for Right Tackle a few weeks ago. I think he can play left tackle just fine, but I also don't think that it's an easy pick at no.1 for him.

If they take Chris Long it's because they truly believe he's a game breaker. Of the four remaining DE's not named Taylor, how many of those are game breakers?

I agree with your McFadden point...but that's what I am hearing...

I lean more towards Mayock who has McFadden as the 2nd best RB in the draft...

but when looking at the Dolphins roster....OL is their biggest need as the game is won/lost up front in the trenches and with the way Parcells likes to run things....Jake Long is the ideal pick...

you can get help on the DL later in the draft...

I just feel that by going DE, Parcells is fixing something that isn't broken and the OL is a great place to start of he wants them to stay in football games...

the defense isn't really bad at all.....the offense has to be able to stay on the field....so I really see the Dolphins taking 3 players on the OL in this draft...and starting with Jake Long is a great place to start...

I think the great thing about this discussion so far is that it mirrors what many people feel with this year's draft. There is no clear cut #1 guy and Miami could make an arguement for about 6 different people being their pick.

I'd personally take Jake Long as having a LT to anchor the line for years to come is huge, but Chris Long at DE is a very good player and probably safer.

I saw it somewhere, NFL network probably, but Parcels has drafted Defense with his 1st Pick in the draft 6 out of the last 8 Drafts he particpated in. In fact his last 6 1st Round picks were Defensive Players (4 out of the 6 players were Defensive Ends, the other 2 Linebackers)

This all may mean nothing, but it is an interesting pattern and could provide some insight about what the big man in Miami will be leaning towards...I would be surprised if Chris Long wasn't picked by Parcels and the Dolphins.

This could also be a classic case of Best Player Available (national consensus is DE, Chris Long) vs Team Needs (OT? QB? or DE?).

The more successful GMs/Coaches normally go with who they believe is the Best Player Available...but of course the BPA must a player that fits in their scheme.

Cn we get a pinned thread of the draft picks? No comments just the picks.

are you suggesting we have a 3rd thread on this topic?....or that we do away with one of the 2 threads we have?...

I think we should pin the other thread and obviously update the 1st post according to what picks are made and let this one float around as there will be discussion on this topic anyways..

are you suggesting we have a 3rd thread on this topic?....or that we do away with one of the 2 threads we have?...

I think we should pin the other thread and obviously update the 1st post according to what picks are made and let this one float around as there will be discussion on this topic anyways..

A 3rd one just covering the picks but what you say could work too.