[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Seahawks sign Olindo Mare

godtomsatan

They also say they will draft or sign a rookie for competition purposes.

He says he was told by the Saints they wanted him back, and reportedly left Denver on Tuesday with an offer from the Broncos. Why a kicker would turn down Mile High and a dome team to kick in swirling wind and rain is puzzling. Perhaps $1.75 mil may have done the trick (and a 2nd year?).

Regardless, this is more than $1 million per season less than what Josh Brown got from the Rams, and nearly $11 million less in total value.

GM Ruskell expects this to be the last FA move the Hawks make. With the signing of Trufant yesterday, this leaves the Seahawks more or less at the cap after the rookie stuff is figured in.

They'll need to, as Mare is pretty much done.

In Mare's defense, the last two seasons, he's gone 2/11 from > 50, which changes his percentages quite a bit. I think the guy's a pro, he just doesn't seem to have much distance in his leg.

The Seahawks were stuck with cap issues and opted not to give their free agent kicker $3 mil per. St. Louis decided to throw that much at Josh Brown even though they play at about the easiest confines for a kicker to perform in the NFL. So when discussing prudent expenditures, I'm not sure which team ought to be criticized more.

To be fair, Brown had a knack for kicking some big time clutch FGs. I am not all that thrilled that what has generally been a solid contributor is A) on a division rival, and 2) putting the special teams into an uncertain state.

In Mare's defense, the last two seasons, he's gone 2/11 from > 50, which changes his percentages quite a bit. I think the guy's a pro, he just doesn't seem to have much distance in his leg.

The Seahawks were stuck with cap issues and opted not to give their free agent kicker $3 mil per. St. Louis decided to throw that much at Josh Brown even though they play at about the easiest confines for a kicker to perform in the NFL. So when discussing prudent expenditures, I'm not sure which team ought to be criticized more.

To be fair, Brown had a knack for kicking some big time clutch FGs. I am not all that thrilled that what has generally been a solid contributor is A) on a division rival, and 2) putting the special teams into an uncertain state.

Mare isn't a bad signing or anything. They needed to sign a vet and Mare is a much better option than Vandershank or Gramatica. But he will be 35 when the season begins and he's been on the decline for the past few years, so they're going to need a younger guy to take his place sooner rather than later... and it sounds like they're already on that.

I don't blame Ruskell for not wanting to pay Brown that kind of money, and I also don't understand why STL wanted him so badly. With THAT defense, it's not like they're going to be kicking many field goals in the 3rd and 4th quarters.