[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Tandem Running Back Teams

Snave88

Hi everyone! I'm a newbie to fantasy football. Last season was the first time I have ever played fantasy football. I played on Yahoo and found the experience to be very enjoyable. I have only been into seriously watching football for 2 seasons now but I am hooked because of fantasy football. I used to be a Steelers fan but now consider myself an NFL fan (with a strong Pittsburgh bias!).

I am straying from my post so let me get to the point. I would like a listing of which teams generally run tandem running backs. Does anyone have any suggestions with regard to where I can find that information? Of course it would be great if someone just listed them... but I'm perfectly willing to find the info if you point me in the right direction. Thanks in advance for any help.

Snave88

How many posts til the new guy mentions the words "trophy case"? Think of it like this...if a team has two good RB's, they will use them in tandem. Those that only have one, will try to get by with him. It isn't a scheme thing, but rather is decided by the personnel of each backfield.

Think of it like this...if a team has two good RB's, they will use them in tandem. Those that only have one, will try to get by with him. It isn't a scheme thing, but rather is decided by the personnel of each backfield.

Kind of like Addai/Keith? Barber/Jones? I think it's just the opposite. I think it is predominantly about scheming & coaching philosophy. A HC who prefers to use 1 hoss RB will look for a RB who can carry that load and will go to a RBBC only when forced to do so, whereas as HC who believes in platooning RBs will from the onset accept RBs who have flaws and try to pair them with a complementary RB who has flaws in other areas.

First, Keith is a good back, and performed well. The Colts not wanting to overwork Addai yet is not the point here. Nobody would have called that situation a "tandem" situation anyhow. Jones and Barber is exactly my point. They have two good backs and therefore will use them...just like the Colts. I think if you were to ask head coaches, there are maybe only 4 or 5 that PREFER the tandem approach. For the most part, they would all like a horse, but they realize that if you don't have a true one, get two good backs and go from there.

I guess you have to ask what constitutes an RBBC. When you look around the league, there are a fair number of teams that use RBBC but most are not by design, it's more like I have no choice. Another way to look at it would be to look at the numebr of plays each back is in for. Does a 75/25 split of plays constitue an RBBC or is that just giving you starting RB a breather? 60/40? 40/30/30?

Edited by Kid Cid

Last year there were 11 teams that were RBBC and 21 that were not. As mentioned before, there are several types of RBBC. There are those teams that just prefer it no matter the personnel and others that are forced into it because they do not have the one back to get the job done in all situations. NFL coaches mostly do not care if it is one guy or 4 RBs - they just want production however they can get it best.

Every summer I write an article about the RBBC in the NFL and I'll probably have that out during June this year. It is too early to say which teams are likely RBBC because there remains at least some player movement left to see and the NFL draft throws a new spin on several teams as well.

This is the article from last year.

My point is, are there any really talented RB's that have to sit and watch all year? If a team has multiple talented backs, they will tend to use them. Deangelo Williams being the exception, of course.

Last year there were 11 teams that were RBBC and 21 that were not. As mentioned before, there are several types of RBBC. There are those teams that just prefer it no matter the personnel and others that are forced into it because they do not have the one back to get the job done in all situations. NFL coaches mostly do not care if it is one guy or 4 RBs - they just want production however they can get it best.

Every summer I write an article about the RBBC in the NFL and I'll probably have that out during June this year. It is too early to say which teams are likely RBBC because there remains at least some player movement left to see and the NFL draft throws a new spin on several teams as well.

This is the article from last year.

Thanks for the link to last years article. You've provided me excellent information that would have been difficult for me to find otherwise and I truly appreciate it.

Snave88

Thanks for the link to last years article. You've provided me excellent information that would have been difficult for me to find otherwise and I truly appreciate it.

Snave88

Gee thats a nice dress your wearing today Mrs. Cleaver.