[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Need help finishing the menu

Big Country

We're having a BBQ at our place this Sunday (was hoping to have purchased a new grill by then, but it's not looking likely, will make a separate thread on that)

Anyway, I'm going to grill up chicken as the main dish. Guests have been asked to bring a nappetizer, a salad (I think fruit salad was mentioned) and a dessert, so I am going to focus on the main meal.

My idea is going to be to do 2-3 types of chicken and try come up with some good sides.

First I am going to do a basic BBQ chicken since my wife loves that one.

Second was going to do a jerk chicken, either with a dry rub or one of the bottled marinades for it.

Debating if I am going to try a third chicken, but I was thinking maybe something with a bit of kick to it would be fun, maybe a Hispanic based one with some citrus/habanero or jalapeno marinade - could use ideas and reciped on this thought.

Now I am stuck on the sides. I'f figuring I'll BBQ some corn on the cob (yum), and I know that sweet potatoes are often served wih jerk (this is true, right?), so other than the standard baking of them or making mashed sweet potatoes, any ideas out there for a suitable side dish to go with the jerk chicken?

Then, if I do go with the chicken with kick, any ideas for a side with that?

I guess I've had a lot going on, and will be out most of Saturday hanging out with rajncajn and Chargerz, that I need stuff that is relatively simple in terms of prepwork 9I should have Sat. morning to prepare marinades/rubs and get the chicken seasoned so it absorbs the flavor) as well as an hour or two on Sunday afternoon before the guests show up.

I appreciate any input, idea and recipes.

I know you didn't ask for this, but think about it anyway. :wacko:

Here's my dry rub for chicken that is always well received. I pretty much only grill a roaster using the beer can method now.

1 tbs kosher salt

1 tbs black pepper

1 tbs paprika

1 tsp garlic powder

1 tsp chili powder

1 tsp cayenne pepper (optional)

There's nice flavor without the cayenne, but it adds a nice little kick if you use it. If you haven't done a beer can chicken before, take a 16 oz beer can and drink half of it. poke a couple extra holes in the top. Rub inside and outside of chicken with the rub. pour remaining rub in the beer can (caution it may foam up). Shove can in Chicken's butt and stand on grill. Grill over indirect medium heat for 1 hour 15 minutes for a 3 pounder and add 15 minutes for each additional pound.

Finadene is a great marinade for BBQ. And you can make it as hot as you want. Also I mostly had this with just white rice so it is a big time saver for side dish.

http://judythefoodie.com/2008/03/03/simply...n-and-finadene/

http://members.tripod.com/Pereda-Family/recipes.htm

Also you should check out beef kelaguen, recipe sounds weird but I think that it is great. Can be make the day before and served cold.

http://www.familycookbookproject.com/view_...8&sid=16039

Edited by fingfootball

Guests have been asked to bring a nappetizer,

Are those snacks that you steal from the internets?

Sorry, back to the topic at hand. I think one of the biggest mistakes people make is making things too complicated. I would much more prefer to eat a bunch of one kind of really tasty chicken than a couple of versions. Two seems fine. Hell, if your BBQ chicken is that good, stick with that.

This is a nice time of year for grilled veggies and they're pretty easy to prep.

Take small potatoes, slice them in half, cover them with salted water and bring to a boil. Turn down to a simmer and cook until a knife can easily pierce the potatoes but not until they're close to falling apart. Drain.

Take some peppers, maybe some lightly blanched asparagus, some onions cut into thick rings... Toss them all with olive oil, salt, and pepper. Once the chicken comes off the grill. Set it off to the side and grill the veggies.