[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Goodye Henry

DMD

Bengals release Henry

April 3, 2008

Posted: 11:30 a.m.

Bengals president Mike Brown issued the following statement:

"Chris Henry has forfeited his opportunity to pursue a career with the Bengals. His conduct can no longer be tolerated.

"The Bengals tried for an extended period of time to support Chris and his potentially bright career. We had hoped to guide him toward an appropriate standard of personal responsibility that this community would support and that would allow him to play in the NFL. We acknowledge those fans who had concerns about Chris; at the same time we tried to help a young man.

"But those efforts end today, as we move on with what is best for our team."

I thought that teams were not allowed to do this (cut someone as a form of discipline)? Or at the very least doesn't it become a big Player's Union issue here?

:wacko:

I'm not sure about that, but the Players' Union would look mighty foolish if they tried to fight this. Unless the Bengals try to recoup some of his signing bonus or something.

I thought that teams were not allowed to do this (cut someone as a form of discipline)? Or at the very least doesn't it become a big Player's Union issue here?

Goodell toughened the displine policy last year to make it clear that it could be used. The more major issue with the union is an unpaid indefinite suspension as a form of punishment (ala Jeff George). If the player gets cut, he can theoretically signed or be picked up by another team if the league does not suspend him under the conduct policy.

No. Goodell can do this (suspend Henry for any period) under the morals clause in the CBA. Individual teams are restricted from the amount of discipline/nature of fines they can apply by the CBA.

No issue at all for Goodell to drop the hammer on him for any period he sees fit. The NFLPA can appeal any discipline. Their appeal is heard by & ruled on by Goodell.

Edited by Bronco Billy

If anyone sees him working at Burger King be sure to let us know.

If he did work there, you can be sure there would be a strip joint across the street

He has had plenty of chances and had to endure an 8 week suspension that year, yet he goes out and puts himself in another bad situation....

As Napolean Dymanite says "IDIOT!" :wacko: He will likely get a full year this time and a 2nd strike that puts in career in the NFL in serious jeopardy. Hope you like working at McDonald's Chris... that may be your next job! :D:D

Edited by PSULions

Where are those who would defend him? He's misunderstood, isn't he? Oppressed? Denied his right to be a football superstar? Targetted by the police? C'mon - where's Al or Jesse on this one? Or is 9 arrests truly tooooo much for anyone?

Methinks there's a good chance that Goodell boots Henry from the league permanently. And it's sad,

? How is that sad?? The NFL is roughly several decades past due to kick out the dirtbags. If Goodell does that I'll throw a freakin party. Too bad he wasn't elected in way back when instead of the limp-wristed Tagliaboob.

PS lol @ the BK cracks

Not sure if Jerry's going to get the chance. Methinks there's a good chance that Goodell boots Henry from the league permanently. And it's sad, because Henry's a heck of a talent.

? How is that sad?? The NFL is roughly several decades past due to kick out the dirtbags. If Goodell does that I'll throw a freakin party. Too bad he wasn't elected in way back when instead of the limp-wristed Tagliaboob.

PS lol @ the BK cracks

Why would you cut off his quote where he explains what he means by sad ? He isnt losing sleep over this POS getting booted what is sad is this guy wasted his big talent. He only has himself to blame and I dont see anyone feeling sorry for him.

Edited by whomper

Why would you cut off his quote where he explains what he means by sad ? He isnt losing sleep over this POS getting booted what is sad is this guy wasted his big talent. He only has himself to blame and I dont see anyone feeling sorry for him.

Exactly. Thanks.