[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Rumor......Favre considering comeback

Hat Trick

• Replies 818
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I said awhile back close to the season his family would tell him to play to get him out of the house.

Get outta here Brett you're driving us crazy. :wacko:

I really thought he would be back because they were so close to the SB. I think if he does play it should be somewhere else.

EDIT

ESPN's Chris Mortensen reports that Brett Favre has told coach Mike McCarthy that he has thought about playing this year.

This follows up a Mike Lombardi blog post along the same lines. The comeback talk is reportedly only in preliminary stages, but Favre's family is encouraging him to play. Cornerback Al Harris says Favre told him he still "has the itch" to play. This situation could turn thorny. The Packers own Favre's rights, but we'd guess that the front office would simply rather move forward with Aaron Rodgers. The coaching staff may lean more towards Favre.

Source: ESPN.com

Edited by Randall

Packers to Favre :

"Thank you for all you have done for us. This is still Aaron Rodgers' team. We'll release you or you can stay retired but you chose to end your time as a Packer and we have moved on."

+1

unless Rodgers gets hurt... :wacko:

JSOnline:

WEDNESDAY, July 2, 2008, 3:07 p.m.

By Don Walker

Report: Favre has 'itch to play again'

ESPN reported this afternoon that retired Green Bay Packers quarterback Brett Favre is interested in making a comeback, and has communicated that interest with the team.

ESPN reporter Chris Mortensen said he had a source, whom he did not name, saying that Favre had indicated an "itch to play again." He said that Favre had made that interest known to Packers coach Mike McCarthy.

Mortensen said Favre had made his interest known in the last two weeks. Mortensen also said he had talked with Bus Cook, Favre's longtime agent. Cook told Mortensen that he assumed his client was still retired.

At the time of Mortensen's report, ESPN had Packers cornerback Al Harris in the studio. Asked what he knew, Harris replied: "I've talked to Brett and I know he has the itch to come back and play. If he will or not, I don't know. But I know he's feeling he wants to play."

Harris was then asked exactly what Favre told him. Harris said Favre replied, "I got the itch."

Mortensen described the situation from the Packers' perspective as "sensitive," because the franchise had already moved on assuming Favre had retired, and was preparing quarterback Aaron Rodgers to take over.

Mortensen said he had spoken with McCarthy in March. At that time, McCarthy predicted that Favre would "go through this stage," with training camp only weeks away.

The Journal Sentinel is pursuing this story, and will report on any developments.

Packers to Favre :

"Thank you for all you have done for us. This is still Aaron Rodgers' team. We'll release you or you can stay retired but you chose to end your time as a Packer and we have moved on."

why? He's still a top 10 qb. chances of packers winning a SB with favre: slim. Chances of packers winning a SB with Rodgers: 0

why? He's still a top 10 qb. chances of packers winning a SB with favre: slim. Chances of packers winning a SB with Rodgers: 0

No chance of Rogers winning 0? I don't agree. If Eli can do it anyone can.

Why? Off the top of my head:

1) GB has been preparing Aaron Rodgers to be the starter for the entire off seasoon. Mentally, physically, etc.

2) The coaching staff is installing the playbook around Rodgers' skillset...not Favre's.

3) The $12 million in salary that would suddenly reappear on the books would do damage to GB's cap situation that they had not planned on.

4) The man retired. He has been toying with it for a few years now. That drama is finally ended. How many times will the team be the puppet that Favre pulls the strings on.

Nope...what is done is done. He's been great for GB but the time is right to move on without him.

chances of packers winning a SB with favre: slim. Chances of packers winning a SB with Rodgers: 0

And you know this...how? Favre cost the Packers a chance to play in the Super Bowl last year. He looked like the deer in the headlights...not Eli Manning.

Give Rodgers 15 seasons before making this claim. The man can play.

The man can play.

The jury is still out on this one.

I wonder how the Packer fans that are saying it's time for Favre to go will feel if Aaron does'nt turn out to be so great. Say around week 8.

Disclaimer: this post is not intended to --

1. Bash Rodgers.

2. Say that Dallas is better than Green Bay.

3. Light a fire under PON's ass.

Why? Off the top of my head:

1) GB has been preparing Aaron Rodgers to be the starter for the entire off seasoon. Mentally, physically, etc.

2) The coaching staff is installing the playbook around Rodgers' skillset...not Favre's.

3) The $12 million in salary that would suddenly reappear on the books would do damage to GB's cap situation that they had not planned on.

4) The man retired. He has been toying with it for a few years now. That drama is finally ended. How many times will the team be the puppet that Favre pulls the strings on.

Nope...what is done is done. He's been great for GB but the time is right to move on without him.

Your points are valid but i'm still not convinced it's better for the Packers "to move on". It seems like their team is good enough to win the SB this year. This argument made sense a couple years ago, but don't think it does with their current team.

Well, the Vikings are only one competent QB away from the SB and his former QB coach is their OC.

I've been saying for a while, it will never happen but would be very weird and yet hilarious to see the reaction of both Viking and Packer fans with that move...

I wonder how the Packer fans that are saying it's time for Favre to go will feel if Aaron does'nt turn out to be so great. Say around week 8.

Agreed. The argument is moot right now. The play's the things - and we won't know the result until the end of the year at the earliest. Personally I think Rodgers brings a different game to the table than Favre that may in fact be more conducive to them winning more games. The better the talent, the less need there is to shoot from the hip and make big plays. GB has enough talent on the roster that a QB with Rodgers style may actually improve the team as a whole - and that's made even with my gigantic man crush for Favre still well in place.

1. Bash Rodgers.

:wacko:

Well, the Vikings are only one competent QB away from the SB and his former QB coach is their OC.

I've been saying for a while, it will never happen but would be very weird and yet hilarious to see the reaction of both Viking and Packer fans with that move...

:wacko:

You know, there are some things that should never, ever be mentioned. Not even in jest...

1. Bash Rodgers.

Cowboys fans. :wacko: Th jury is still out on whether he can play?

It keeps getting better:

Citing a league source, the Wisconsin State Journal reports that Brett Favre requested his release from the Packers "within the past few weeks."

Either Favre or his agent, Bus Cook, reportedly contacted the Packers to inform them of his intent to play again. When the Packers said they've moved on, Favre demanded to be released. The Packers said no. GM Ted Thompson and coach Mike McCarthy are currently on vacation and unavailable for comment. The Packers hold all the power here and if they continue to exercise it, the situation could get ugly for everyone. That is, if Favre doesn't change his mind again.

From the WSJ article:

However, an NFL source said Wednesday afternoon that Favre — or Cook on his behalf — actually contacted the Packers "within the past few weeks" about returning, and the conversation ended in him asking the club for his release. The Packers refused.

The source wouldn't say why Favre would've asked to be released, but the logical reason he'd have made such a request would be because the team told him it had moved on with new starter Aaron Rodgers and did not want him back. The Packers also could've been testing Favre's resolve to see how serious he really is about playing again.

The Packers placed Favre on the reserve/retired list on April 25 and continue to hold his rights, which they could trade to an interested team if Favre wants to come back and is willing to do so with another club.

If Favre is serious about reporting to training camp — the first practice is July 28 — and the Packers are committed to moving on, it would set up a potentially awkward parting of the ways between the franchise and its preeminent star. Favre could demand to be activated from the reserve/retired list, and that would give the Packers three options: Re-activate him, release him or trade him.

A team source told Mortensen that the Packers "value Brett's legacy, we think he values it, and we'd want to protect that. Brett's a high-quality person and he's not going to push it that far. He'll do the right thing (and stay retired). This was almost predictable, the idea that Brett would get the itch to play as we get closer to the season."

Edited by budlitebrad

1. Bash Rodgers.

We only have one way to know for sure, and that's to let Rodgers play. Favre has been the greatest, but he retired for all the right reasons, he needs to stick to his word and stay retired. If you retire, stay retired. The team is young now, let Rodgers mature with them and set up something truly special a few years down the road.

Cowboys fans. :wacko: Th jury is still out on whether he can play?

Come on now, we were not all sold on Romo going into last year... One game isn't going to make people change their minds. I think Rodgers will do very well as long as he plays within the system and doesn't try to be Favre, but the question marks on Rodgers are justifiable. I think he'll erase them with time though.

My first reaction was "Wow." Then I spent some time wondering exactly what I would want as a Packers fan. That was a tough question.

After thinking about it for a while, I started to get excited a little bit about Favre coming back -- mostly because it would mean there's NO reason to discount the Packers' chances at another SuperBowl run. As much as I love Rodgers and as much as I was okay with Favre retiring, the QB position is still a big question mark...enough to make even the most optimistic GB fan realize that the team is no "lock" for a playoff berth.

I also realized, slightly to my own surprise, that part of the reason I would be okay with a Favre return is because we got Brohm this year. As strange as the pick seemed initially, I've been a pretty big Brohm supporter and thought it was excellent value. It's interesting how that pick comes into play in this situation, though -- I'm sure Thompson and McCarthy are thinking about this in the same context.

Everyone has to realize that if they welcome Favre back, Rodgers would be forever alienated. He would be PISSED, and I bet he'd immediately demand a trade. I doubt he'd even be willing to be the Packers' starter in '09, assuming Favre actually retired after this year. So, in effect, Favre's return would mean Rodgers goes from the future of the franchise to a complete afterthought. Brohm, of course, would then take over Rodgers' position as the heir-apparent.

I'm starting to wonder now....Favre apparently contacted McCarthy about this "within the last couple of weeks." What has McCarthy been doing for the last couple of weeks? Lavishing all kinds of praise about how great Brohm has looked in mini-camps. :wacko: