[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Calling all smokers....

Jimmy Neutron

Looking at a new smoker - barrel or vertical?

A local sporting goods store has a verticle unit I really like the looks of. Built of heavier gauge steel than the barrel smokers in a comparable price range. I like the fact that the vertical models offer fire boxes and racks higher off the ground - less stooping.

Comments? TIA.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like having the heat off to the side in my barrel smoker. My wife got me one from Wal-Mart 5 years ago for $125 and its been great. After a couple of years I had to wire weld the legs because after moving it alot it got wobbly. The big thing I would suggest is to get a thermometer with it so you don't have to open and close it all the time.

Edited by fingfootball

Thanks for the input. This vertical smoker I'm looking at has the offset box. Rather than a barrel, it has a vertical box about 24" wide by 36" tall. One of the features I like is that the frame is pretty stout. The wheels are very old school wagon-wheel looking deals made of thick steel. The front door has a threade 1/2" hole I'm assuming is for a thermometer. :D It is made by a company called Chesterfield. :D

Mrs. Neutron just said to go buy it and a bunch of charcoal and she'll have the kids wrap it all up for my b-day. :brew:

Go meat!

Search "rubs" :D

There may be come collatoral hits with that particular word :wacko:

How deep is it?

Gotta have room to lay full slabs of ribs on there.

About 30" - should be good for some large slabs.

3 letters WSM...

Nough said...

Looked at them too - looked small for my purposes. I like to cook for hugh parties.

I'm donating my vertical smoker for a horzontal one if that tells you anything. I have too many issues maintaining the heat in the vertical one.

Can you identify the reason? I thought about the differences in the two designs and thought the shorter distance from the firebox to the chimney would actually make it easier to control the temp. Is the box on your vertical unit designed similarly to the traditional barrel variety?

I thought about the egg - too much money for me.

Then you must wait. You must experience patience. That which we want most, sometimes requires a greater sacrifice. The Egg is waiting for you. It is patient. Go forth and do good deeds. The Egg will be there when you need it most.

Then you must wait. You must experience patience. That which we want most, sometimes requires a greater sacrifice. The Egg is waiting for you. It is patient. Go forth and do good deeds. The Egg will be there when you need it most.

If you replace "Egg" with "Scientology", Unta sounds just like Tom Cruise!

In other words, sell your car and take the bus from now on if you must. Untateve believes that the BGE was created by God himself and may be worth the selling of your first born to posses its power. :wacko:

In other words, sell your car and take the bus from now on if you must. Untateve believes that the BGE was created by God himself and may be worth the selling of your first born to posses its power. :wacko:

I find your post confusing. You talk of the BGE and God like they are two separate entities.

About 30" - should be good for some large slabs.

Looked at them too - looked small for my purposes. I like to cook for hugh parties.

Can you identify the reason? I thought about the differences in the two designs and thought the shorter distance from the firebox to the chimney would actually make it easier to control the temp. Is the box on your vertical unit designed similarly to the traditional barrel variety?

It's the traditional barrel. I guess now that I think about it, it's not the heat issue - it's adding coals to it. My brinkmann wasn't designed very well and I practically burn my hands off whenever I need to add more coals or if I need to add more water to the basin it's next to impossible to do it without taking the whole grill apart.

It's the traditional barrel. I guess now that I think about it, it's not the heat issue - it's adding coals to it. My brinkmann wasn't designed very well and I practically burn my hands off whenever I need to add more coals or if I need to add more water to the basin it's next to impossible to do it without taking the whole grill apart.

Good to know - I'll check out the unit I'm looking at and make sure everythings readily accessible. Thanks for the info.

Have you considered rolling your own?

http://www.ibiblio.org/lineback/bbq/wdh.htm

If I thought I'd be in this home for quite a while, I'd build one of those bad boys. It's actually in my blood - my grandpa used to build those brick BBQs and smokers at city parks and residences.