[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Cooper Suspended

Footballjoe

Posted: 13 minutes ago

Cooper draws four-game suspension for drug policy violation

NFL.com Wire Reports

SAN DIEGO -- Chargers linebacker Stephen Cooper was suspended by the NFL on Tuesday for four games for violating the league's substance abuse policy.

Stephen Cooper, LB

San Diego Chargers

2007 Statistics

Tackles: 108

FFs: 2

INTs: 2

"I regret that I mistakenly took a stimulant that I did not realize at the time was banned by the NFL," Cooper said. "I support the NFL's anti-doping policies, and understand that I must serve a suspension even though the stimulant that I took was not used before any game and was not used to enhance my performance.

"I apologize to the NFL, my team, my coaches, and to my fans, and I look forward to continuing to help the Chargers toward our goal of winning the Super Bowl in the upcoming season."

Cooper will miss San Diego's first four games of the 2008 season, but can particpate in the club's offseason program as well as preseason games.

Cooper's suspension begins on Saturday, Aug. 30 following the Chargers' final preseason game. He is eligible to return to the active roster on Monday, Sept. 29 following the team's Sunday game against the Oakland Raiders.

"Obviously we’re disappointed, just as I know Stephen is," coach Norv Turner said in a statement. "Coop made a mistake and now must deal with the consequences. It's unfortunate, but we'll deal with it and move on."

The Associcated Press contributed to this report.

Why.. when all these guys are getting banned... do they same the same exact thing?

"I regret that I mistakenly took a stimulant that I did not realize at the time was banned by the NFL,"

Is this in the manual??

Why.. when all these guys are getting banned... do they same the same exact thing?

"I regret that I mistakenly took a stimulant that I did not realize at the time was banned by the NFL,"

Is this in the manual??

In Cooper's case, it's because he's a dumbass!

Is this in the manual??

Because rather than being a man about it and owning up that they were actually using performance enhancing drugs or "stimulants", they just take the easy way out and make it sound like they are the victim. I think the NFL should change it to 6 game minimum. These guys dont seem to care about 4 games...

How many guys is that from San Diego now? Merriman, this guy, wasnt Jamal Williams suspended at some point? Or someone else I thought...

Because rather than being a man about it and owning up that they were actually using performance enhancing drugs or "stimulants", they just take the easy way out and make it sound like they are the victim. I think the NFL should change it to 6 game minimum. These guys dont seem to care about 4 games...

How many guys is that from San Diego now? Merriman, this guy, wasnt Jamal Williams suspended at some point? Or someone else I thought...

Yea, is the third time still an accident? Or is it a trend?

Is this in the manual??

I was pretty much gonna say the same thing. Clearly they don't care about being honest (or they wouldn't have taken the stuff to begin with) so why should we care about their paycheck? I think 8 games should be the punishment. I didn't know it was on the list just doesn't fly anymore.

Full report from San Diego rg

In March 2003, a month before he signed with the Chargers as an undrafted free agent, Cooper was sentenced to one year's probation for possession of anabolic steroids. He pleaded guilty to possession of 1,262 steroid pills and had to perform 100 hours of community service and paid $225 in fines.

I have a feeling he is not going to be a Charger very long. Don't forget the addition of Derek Smith to the roster. A more than adequate "back=up" that was going to see plenty of snaps.

I also think you might see an LB added in that 1st round.

Not sure how much this hurts the D except for depth.

What a dumbass. Why even use ephedra?