[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

4/16-Player News (Portis, S. Moss, Ocho, DJax Signing, Draft stuff)

Guest Chappy

Guest Chappy

http://www.rockymountainnews.com/news/2008...arrell-jackson/

Denver Signs DJax

The Broncos signed WR Darrell Jackson to a one-year contract after passing his physical today. The eight-year pro, who spent the bulk of his career with the Seattle Seahawks before a one-year stop with the San Francisco 49ers last year, is the third free-agent pass-catcher signed by Denver, following Keary Colbert and Samie Parker.

After having much success in Seattle, Jackson had 46 receptions for 497 yards and three touchdowns in ’07 last year in San Francisco. Jackson will battle with Brandon Stokely, Samie Parker, and Keary Colbert for playing time in Denver.

| April 16, 2008 3:24 PM

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08107/87387...id=steelers.xml

N. Washington Re-signs

The Pittsburgh Post Gazette reports that WR Nate Washington has just signed his one year RFA contract tender for $1.417 million.

With WR Cedrick Wilson being cut, Washington becomes the clear number three WR in Pittsburgh. Washington has averaged 32 receptions for 537 yards and five scores in the past two years. Now with Wilson out of the picture, expect those numbers to rise slightly. With WR Hines Ward missing games in each of the last three seasons, Washington could even get a couple starts and produce decent fill-in value when he does.

| April 16, 2008 2:44 PM

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Kelly Has Another Pro Day

I just got off the phone with Malcolm's agent Chad Speck and he said Malcolm had a good day at OU today.

First, Malcolm ran on the hard surface, the surface that he wanted to run on, and his times ranged from anywhere form 4.46 to 4.61. Chad wasn't sure when he got times if the scouts had added anything on them or not.

Malcolm had exceptional shuttle times of 4.00 to 4.01 in the 20 yard shuttle and 6.79 to 6.83 in the L-drill, which are times that are very good. Malcolm improved his broad jump to 10.25 and he posted the same vertical jump of 32.

Malcolm also ran the pass route session and was once again outstanding. Then after that, when he was exhausted, he did the bench press and put up 225 14 times.

Confirmed scouts in attendance were from Green Bay, New York Giants, Bills and Bengals.

James Hale

OU Insider

The agent of WR Malcolm Kelly has told OUinsider.com that Kelly ran on the hard surface, the surface that he wanted to run the forty on, and his times ranged from anywhere form 4.46 to 4.61. Kelly had shuttle times of 4.00 to 4.01 in the 20-yard shuttle and 6.79 to 6.83 in the 3 cone-drill. Kelly improved his broad jump to 10.25 and he posted the same vertical jump of 32. Confirmed scouts in attendance were from Packers, Giants, Bills and Bengals.

Sounds like Kelly improved his forty, but the hard surface confirms that he is not a burner and will most likely be a possession receiver in the NFL. However, Kelly's shuttle time of 4.00 would have been 2nd best at the combine amongst QB, RB, and WRs and his 6.79 3-cone would have been 5th best amongst WRs at the combine...not bad. Kelly could have just saved his 1st round status.

| April 16, 2008 2:28 PM

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://blog.washingtonpost.com/redskinsins...ml?nav=rss_blog

Portis The Feature Back?

According to the Washington Post, the Redskins are going to give RB Clinton Portis every opportunity to be the feature back this season.

Portis had a solid 2007 season, rushing for 1262-yards and eleven touchdowns. If Portis can get through training camp unscathed, he is an upper-tier RB2. Due to Portis' injury history, make sure you draft RB Ladell Betts as his handcuff.

| April 16, 2008 1:33 PM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3349761

C.Johnson Responds!

Updating a previous report, WR Chad Johnson has responded to QB Carson Palmer's comments that he would report to camp when he had to. Johnson told ESPN's John Clayton "I want to make this very clear, I don't know where he got that. I made no assertion to Carson that I would do that. Nothing has changed from what I've been saying for three months that I don't want to play for the Bengals.'' Johnson then followed with a strong statement about his intentions. "I want to be traded before the draft, and if that doesn't happen, I want to be traded as soon as possible,'' Johnson said. "I don't intend on reporting to anything.''

Not the kind of news you want to hear as a Bengals fan. Johnson even went as far as to say he wished Palmer would stay out of his business. It is looking more and more like this situation could get ugly before a resolution comes to pass. Stay tuned!

| April 16, 2008 1:27 PM

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports...nt/5704383.html

Offensive Tackle A Priority?

HC Gary Kubiak considers the left offensive tackle position to be a top priority entering the 2008 Draft, according to the Houston Chronicle. "I think the thing about left tackle is that that is a 'must' position in this league. You've got to protect your quarterback; you've got to protect your franchise, so to speak. And those guys are hard — hard — to find. I mean, they don't fall off of trees. You don't make one. They're a special breed."

OT Charles Spencer is finally doing some running after 18 months of rehab on his injured knee. With the Texans selecting at 18, expect them to pounce on the opportunity to add a LT if one of the top prospects such as OT Ryan Clady, OT Jeff Otah, OT Chris Williams, or possibly OT Gosder Cherilus is available at their pick. Cherilus may be more suited to play RT, so Houston could bypass the OLT spot if one of Clady, Otah, or Williams is not available. If this were the case, expect Houston to address their defensive secondary in the first round and utilize their third round selection on a project OLT to groom behind current LT Ephraim Salaam. Houston does not have a second round selection due to their trade with Atlanta for QB Matt Schaub in 2007.

| April 16, 2008 11:22 AM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://frontier.cincinnati.com/blogs/benga...-room-notes.asp

C.Johnson To Report?

WR Chad Johnson has allegedly told QB Carson Palmer that "He'll be there. He has to," in a phone conversation about attending June minicamp.

This is the first time we have heard much from Johnson (though be it through Palmer) about reporting to camp and potentially dropping his perceived push for a trade. Assuming Johnson stays put, as HC Marvin Lewis has claimed all along, expect the typical 90 receptions for 1375 yards and nine TDs that Johnson has averaged over the last five seasons.

| April 16, 2008 11:09 AM

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://blog.washingtonpost.com/redskinsins...ml?nav=rss_blog

Moss Fully Healthy

It's being reported that Redskins WR Santana Moss caught passes from QB Jason Campbell in workouts on Tuesday and looked fully healthy.

Moss, who dealt with a groin injury last year, came on strong at the end of the 2007 season, where he had 329-yards receiving and three touchdowns in the last four games. A healthy Moss makes a good WR2/WR3 this year. His value could go up more if the team can find another receiver to take pressure off of him.

| April 16, 2008 9:56 AM

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.miamiherald.com/616/story/496864.html

Which Long for the Fins?

As of Monday night, the Dolphins had not initiated contract talks with DE Chris Long -- which is consistent with Peter King's si.com report that Miami is negotiating only with OT Jake Long and has given him a deadline to accept.< Either Long would be a safe and productive pick for the Dolphins. Multiple sources report Parcells will absolutely have the first pick under contract before draft day.

| April 15, 2008 10:07 PM

Guest Chappy
The silver lining for Malcolm Kelly is he did catch 21 out of 22 catchable balls thrown by Eric Crouch (remember him?).

That was a blast from the past as he was going to be a bigtime player. Well, maybe not bigtime.

Edited by Chappy

Guest Chappy

http://www.sacbee.com/static/weblogs/49ers...es/011654.html/

Martz Likes Lelie

The Sacramento Bee reports that 49ers OC Mike Martz likes WR Ashley Lelie.

Lelie has the speed, but he has to work on his route running. It's obvious that the team likes Lelie, or they wouldn't have kept him over WR Darrell Jackson. Don't look Lelie's way yet, but he could be an inseason pickup if he nabs a starting job.

| April 16, 2008 5:29 PM

The silver lining for Malcolm Kelly is he did catch 21 out of 22 catchable balls thrown by Eric Crouch (remember him?).

Crouch threw 22 catchable balls? Pfft.. No way. He might one day become a good special teams player.

Guest Chappy
I don't think so. :wacko:

According to Gil Brandt, his 40 time was more like 4.65 and that's on a fast track, so you could probably adjust it to around 4.7. Round 2 at the earliest.

I wouldn't doubt that Kelly goes in the 1st round. Sure he may fall into the 2nd but from what I've read several teams are seriously taking a look at him with their 1st round pick and view him as the best Pro prospect at the position and think he will really pan out nicely.

Time will tell.

http://www.sacbee.com/static/weblogs/49ers...es/011654.html/

Martz Likes Lelie

The Sacramento Bee reports that 49ers OC Mike Martz likes WR Ashley Lelie.

Lelie has the speed, but he has to work on his route running. It's obvious that the team likes Lelie, or they wouldn't have kept him over WR Darrell Jackson. Don't look Lelie's way yet, but he could be an inseason pickup if he nabs a starting job.

| April 16, 2008 5:29 PM

:wacko:

I'd sooner sign David Boston

Smart move by Denver signing Jackson for one year. Look for him to produce well in that situation.

Djax was out produced by Arnaz Battle last year and got cut after San Fran signed Issac Bruce.

Will Djax even be a #3 in Denver? Your misdirected manlove prediction from last year is immersing in your brain for this year.

Didn't they make him a fullback? :wacko:

I don't think so. :D

According to Gil Brandt, his 40 time was more like 4.65 and that's on a fast track, so you could probably adjust it to around 4.7. Round 2 at the earliest.

He ran 4.68 on the soft track and cried like a banshee about not being able to run on the hard track - where he did marginally better. :wacko: He might go first still, but I'm glad my team isn't looking for a top WR w/their top pick(s).

Portis The Feature Back?

According to the Washington Post, the Redskins are going to give RB Clinton Portis every opportunity to be the feature back this season.

Portis had a solid 2007 season, rushing for 1262-yards and eleven touchdowns. If Portis can get through training camp unscathed, he is an upper-tier RB2. Due to Portis' injury history, make sure you draft RB Ladell Betts as his handcuff.

Boy they are really going out on a limb here huh? :wacko:

:D

Djax was out produced by Arnaz Battle last year and got cut after San Fran signed Issac Bruce.

Will Djax even be a #3 in Denver? Your misdirected manlove prediction from last year is immersing in your brain for this year.

Not so sure. Djax played with a QB that couldn't get him the ball, for an OC that was fired for his inability to bring anything to the table.

And don't let the thinking that he was cut becuse they signed Bruce skew rational thinking. Bruce was signed for near the league minimum. Cutting Djax saved them some real cap space this season. And with Bruce knowing Martz's system, Djax and his contract were expendable for those two reason alone.

I wanted the Eagles to sign him...he knew Reid's system well. But the Eagles appaer to have their eyes on a bigger prize. That being said, it wouldn't surprise me one bit to see Jackson become a solid #2 WR in Denver alongside Marshall. While he was an average #1 the last couple years, I think he excels as a #2, drawing weaker coverage and exploiting it.

He ran 4.68 on the soft track and cried like a banshee about not being able to run on the hard track - where he did marginally better. :wacko: He might go first still, but I'm glad my team isn't looking for a top WR w/their top pick(s).

He been blaming everyone but himself, even though he had a 2nd round grade to begin with from the Advisory Board. It's a weaker WR class and it doesn't seem like any will be taken until the second half of the first round. I'd probably want Thomas, Hardy, or Sweed before I took him.

I read that the Packers were possibly looking at Jackson, which would be a surprise and not my favorite pick, but we've needed a good return guy for a while.

Not so sure. Djax played with a QB that couldn't get him the ball, for an OC that was fired for his inability to bring anything to the table.

And don't let the thinking that he was cut becuse they signed Bruce skew rational thinking. Bruce was signed for near the league minimum. Cutting Djax saved them some real cap space this season. And with Bruce knowing Martz's system, Djax and his contract were expendable for those two reason alone.

I wanted the Eagles to sign him...he knew Reid's system well. But the Eagles appaer to have their eyes on a bigger prize. That being said, it wouldn't surprise me one bit to see Jackson become a solid #2 WR in Denver alongside Marshall. While he was an average #1 the last couple years, I think he excels as a #2, drawing weaker coverage and exploiting it.

+1

DJax was always a system receiver. The 49ers didn't even have an offense let alone an offensive system.

As much as I don't like Shanahan as the omnipotent cult leader of the Broncos, I think he puts together a good offense with clearly defined roles and goals... like Holmgren. This is exactly what a receiver like DJax needs. Whether that translates to big FF stats... who knows.

Edited by kingfish247