[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

All hats off...I'm in mourning.....

FWmaker

Well, after talking about it for 2+ years w/ my family & friends I finally got the time to Que-up my first brisket. It was to be my bit of ZEN after a grueling tax season.

Had the 11lb brisket trimmed at butcher (leaving enough fat on) and used a rub similar to some posted on these boards. Got up at 6AM so brisket would be ready by dinnertime. Was using a Weber kettle and followed the advice of a learned few for the method.

After about 9 hrs took it off the rack. Much to my chagrin, I had to pronounce it dead at the scene. The flavor was there, but only about 1/6 of the brisket was barely edible (kids loved that part).

I think I used too much charcoal throughout the entire process. I guess approx 20-25 degrees over 9 hrs was the issue.

At least I had some leftover rub for some drumsticks and I was able to cook up some lamb chops for the 11 of us.

Random notes:

I can't beleive how terrible I feel about the whole thing.

-- the anticipation

-- letting down the fam, etc. for a long awaited get-together where the meal was the essential part.

I cannot wait to try again.

I will not let the exended fam know I'm doing this next time, but will surprise them with it.

A good brisket is one of my favorite foods. Unfortunately, I haven't had the balls to try one yet. From what I've read it is one of the more difficult pieces of meat to cook right. It also doesn't help that Ms Cid doesn't eat beef (or pork for that matter) and that anything I make will either have to be for a gathering or for freezing.

Sorry for your loss.

Well, after talking about it for 2+ years w/ my family & friends I finally got the time to Que-up my first brisket. It was to be my bit of ZEN after a grueling tax season.

Had the 11lb brisket trimmed at butcher (leaving enough fat on) and used a rub similar to some posted on these boards. Got up at 6AM so brisket would be ready by dinnertime. Was using a Weber kettle and followed the advice of a learned few for the method.

After about 9 hrs took it off the rack. Much to my chagrin, I had to pronounce it dead at the scene. The flavor was there, but only about 1/6 of the brisket was barely edible (kids loved that part).

I think I used too much charcoal throughout the entire process. I guess approx 20-25 degrees over 9 hrs was the issue.

At least I had some leftover rub for some drumsticks and I was able to cook up some lamb chops for the 11 of us.

Random notes:

I can't beleive how terrible I feel about the whole thing.

-- the anticipation

-- letting down the fam, etc. for a long awaited get-together where the meal was the essential part.

I cannot wait to try again.

I will not let the exended fam know I'm doing this next time, but will surprise them with it.

Perhaps you may view this episode as a life-changing event. At some point, we must all examine our lives and the decisions that have brought us to where we now exist. With that self-examination, sometimes we falter, we regress, we become afraid of the unknown and hide in fear. But--sometimes we grow, evolve, and attain that which we strive to become. Move toward the Green light...let it envelop you...accept it...and transcend all that you are, all that you know, and all that you will ever be.

I think the temp ranged from 250 (most of the time) to 275 (part of the time).

I know that the Weber Kettle is not the best tool, but I've got that and a full size gas grill as well. I really didn't want to invest in another piece. (I also have a Weber Little Joe for tailgating, etc.

Thanks for the thoughts, boys.

I can't wait to try again.

I think the temp ranged from 250 (most of the time) to 275 (part of the time).

I know that the Weber Kettle is not the best tool, but I've got that and a full size gas grill as well. I really didn't want to invest in another piece. (I also have a Weber Little Joe for tailgating, etc.

Thanks for the thoughts, boys.

I can't wait to try again.

I think I try to keep my temp around 225 when smoking a brisket.

What do you mean by inedible? Overcooked? Undercooked? Bitter?

To me, 9 hours on a Weber is too long. The key is meat temperature and not how long you cook it. Also, with the Weber, I assume you piled the coals at one end and put the brisket on the other side.

More details, man. Let us help you avoid the senseless abuse of your meat. :D:wacko:

Sorry for your loss.

What temp were you running on your grill?

I LOVE THIS BOARD!!!! The only place on the net, that I know of, where the loss of a brisket can be taken as if one has lost their family pet!!!!! :wacko:

Ohhh, and sorry for your loss btw.

Also, I have invested in one of those remote meat thermometers that you can put in right at the start and leave in the whole cooking time. Works WONDERS my friend.

I LOVE THIS BOARD!!!! The only place on the net, that I know of, where the loss of a brisket can be taken as if one has lost their family pet!!!!! :wacko:

Ohhh, and sorry for your loss btw.

Also, I have invested in one of those remote meat thermometers that you can put in right at the start and leave in the whole cooking time. Works WONDERS my friend.

I've got one as well. It has literally saved the bacon before.

I've got one as well. It has literally saved the bacon before.

Same here.

My wife makes fun of me because I carry the remote around the entire day while it monitors the internal meat temp. I can even set an alarm to go off on the remote once it reaches my ideal temp. :wacko:

Same here.

My wife makes fun of me because I carry the remote around the entire day while it monitors the internal meat temp. I can even set an alarm to go off on the remote once it reaches my ideal temp. :wacko:

Women do not understand barbeque. We suffer for our meat.

Same here.

I have the same thing.

Perhaps you may view this episode as a life-changing event. At some point, we must all examine our lives and the decisions that have brought us to where we now exist. With that self-examination, sometimes we falter, we regress, we become afraid of the unknown and hide in fear. But--sometimes we grow, evolve, and attain that which we strive to become. Move toward the Green light...let it envelop you...accept it...and transcend all that you are, all that you know, and all that you will ever be.

This is either the deepest, most inspirational post I have ever read or some of the best sarcasm I have ever seen.

Either way, well done (sorry for the choice of words FWM) U! :wacko:

Edited by The Wolf