[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Best PK prospects in 2008 NFL Draft

skylive5

I know, I know... they are just kickers... however.... anyone have any insight on these kickers?

Aguayo UNLV

Barth NC

Bell GTech

Carmody Louisville

Coutu Georgia

Dunlevy VTech

Hartley OK

Ito Rutgers

Mehlhaff Wisc

Serna Oregon St

Wilson Louisiana-Monroe

Zarilli Hofstra

Looking for at least one that could be a good prospect that one would think could last a couple of years in the NFL.

Jeremy Ito has a hell of a leg...very strong on his kickoffs and can make the long FG. He seems to have issues with his shorter kicks, however, but I think that this will go away once he starts kicking from the more centered NFL hashmarks.

Something (unfortunately) tells me that Carl and Herm (Harm?) are all over these guys ... and, as a fan, I have no idea why we'd spend a pick on a kicker. Bring three undrafted rookies into camp and let them battle it out ... then, sign a vet that gets cut and add him to the mix. Best man wins. It shouldn't be a tough formula...

Jeremy Ito has a hell of a leg...very strong on his kickoffs and can make the long FG. He seems to have issues with his shorter kicks, however, but I think that this will go away once he starts kicking from the more centered NFL hashmarks.

So Ito would be the best bet? Thanks Wolf.

Something (unfortunately) tells me that Carl and Herm (Harm?) are all over these guys ... and, as a fan, I have no idea why we'd spend a pick on a kicker. Bring three undrafted rookies into camp and let them battle it out ... then, sign a vet that gets cut and add him to the mix. Best man wins. It shouldn't be a tough formula...

Really don't care how KC approaches it. They aren't going anywhere for awhile anyway. LOL

I am looking for a K for me and need to pick the guy that has the best chance of making it in the NFL.

So Ito would be the best bet? Thanks Wolf.

You may be better server posting your question in the College forum and letting the guys there enlighten you. Ito is the only kicker I saw on a regular basis so my opinion is very biased and I am completely uninformed on the other players.

You may be better server posting your question in the College forum and letting the guys there enlighten you. Ito is the only kicker I saw on a regular basis so my opinion is very biased and I am completely uninformed on the other players.

Roger that. Thanks.

Kicker rankings are all over the board. I haven't seen any with higher than a 5th round grade from any one source, and it appears no two sources consider the same kicker to be the best available in the upcoming draft. Here's a rundown of the ones who get mentioned most frequently:

Taylor Mehlhaff, Wisconsin---Good leg strength, good confidence, has experience in inclement weather. Good technique but slow to get kicks off. Probably first kicker off the board

Art Carmody, Louisville---Gets kicks off quickly, good rise to kicks, calm under pressure, accurate (84.8 FG%); lacks leg strength (3-6 from 40+), didn't kickoff last two years

Brandon Coutu, Georgia---Accurate, good in the clutch, good rise to kicks, but didn't kickoff last two years and is plagued by hamstring injuries

Shane Longest, St. Xavier---Good accuracy, strong leg, good rise on kicks, also punted in college; needs to speed up kicks to avoid blocks

Alexis Serna, Oregon State---Good leg strength, gets ball up quickly, successful in inclement weather; missed 5 of last 7 kicks, confidence questioned, 2 touchbacks in 68 kickoffs, Gramatica-sized (5-7)

Steven Hauschka, North Carolina State---Good long-range accuracy (8-8 from 40+ last year), consistent, gets the ball up quickly; needs to speed up footwork

Jeremy Ito, Rutgers---Accurate, consistent, solid on kickoffs, good in clutch; needs to speed up footwork

And if you were to deduce from this that "new guy gets to do the kicker rankings this year" you'd be 100 percent accurate.

2V

Good stuff by the "new guy", above. :D Hey, it's nice to not be the "new guy" anymore. :wacko:

In any case, as the former "new guy" and one who usually overanalyzes kickers, I have compiled some rankings.

1. Mehlhaff - He's a lefty, so snapper/holder could need to work with him a bit more, but that shouldn't be an issue. Strong leg and his kicking in inclement weather will make him the top PK prospect.

2. Coutu - Good on kickoffs, longer FGs and doesn't miss PATs.

3. Hauschka - Has the upside to be the best PK in this lot but has only one year of Division I experience. Has good size and is a pretty solid athlete.

4. Longest - Obviously has the best name for a kicker. :D Lots of experience, but against weak competition. Good upside.

5. Carmody - A bit small, doesn't have range outside 50 yards and probably wouldn't kick off. Still, he's fluid and experienced.

6. Ito - Good range and pretty consistent.

7. Hartley - Inconsistent but can hit from well beyond 50 yards and is very experienced.

8. Serna - Way undersized but accurate and can hit from distance.

9. Barth - Good size and accuracy but tends to kick low.

10. Gould - Brother Robbie is a stud PK. Accurate and versatile enough to spot punt.

Aguayo, Bell, Dunlevy, Wilson and Zarilli are all longshots.