[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Packer draft discussion.

Randall

The Chiefs are up way before we are, but would you like to see?

I expect TT to take whoever falls if they are of value. And trade down if not. We need OL and CB; TE and QB maybe later in the draft. I wouldn't expect either in the first round.

The mocks I've seen lately don't look too good for what we need.

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought Donald Lee produced surprisingly well at TE for the Packers last year. Are they not sold on him? Or do they just need more depth?

2nd starter. McCarthy wants to continue to run a good number of multiple TE sets. Lee is fine, but would be great as a tandem with another good pass catcher.

I thought Donald Lee produced surprisingly well at TE for the Packers last year. Are they not sold on him? Or do they just need more depth?

I brought it up because I keep seeing a TE taken in mocks. Last year Ted Thompson passed on many TE's in favorable spots finally taking one late. If he does take one I expect it to be 5th round or later. Fatman is right.

We do have Tory Humphrey and Ryan Krause plus Lee.

Given that they are predominantly drafting for quality depth this year, it wouldn't be a bad idea for them to trade down to one of the teams looking for their choice of the 2nd QB off the board.

I wish Rivers would fall to them as several mocks have said. Unless something like that happens I also see them trading down. TT is the King of the trading down.

2 years ago when he passed on Chad Jackson(the Javon Walker trade) :wacko: he traded down twice and ended up with

offensive guard Daryn Colledge in Round 2,

cornerback Will Blackmon (fourth round),

safety Tyrone Culver (sixth),

quarterback Ingle Martin (fifth)

and defensive tackle Johnny Jolly (sixth).

If Talib somehow falls, I'd love to have him be the pick. If he's not there, I would love to have either Brandon Flowers from Va Tech and his physical bump and run style that fits with what Woody and Harris do, or Antione Cason who I thought was amazing in college and I don't agree with him being the 5th or 6th rated CB coming in... I think that's crazy.

I think DB is the absolute pick though. Al Harris and Charles Woodson are still great, but are getting old. We mixed and matched with our nickelback but never found anything that I was truly confident in. After we address our nickel and eventual replacement at CB, we need to look for a guard, as I don't fill confident in Cooledge/Coston.

In reality I don't expect Ted to make a selection with the first. As BB mentioned, there should be a few teams trying to land Henne/Brohm/Flacco and Ted loves to horde picks.

If Talib somehow falls, I'd love to have him be the pick. If he's not there, I would love to have either Brandon Flowers from Va Tech and his physical bump and run style that fits with what Woody and Harris do, or Antione Cason who I thought was amazing in college and I don't agree with him being the 5th or 6th rated CB coming in... I think that's crazy.

I think DB is the absolute pick though. Al Harris and Charles Woodson are still great, but are getting old. We mixed and matched with our nickelback but never found anything that I was truly confident in. After we address our nickel and eventual replacement at CB, we need to look for a guard, as I don't fill confident in Cooledge/Coston.

In reality I don't expect Ted to make a selection with the first. As BB mentioned, there should be a few teams trying to land Henne/Brohm/Flacco and Ted loves to horde picks.

Any of them are good but have been gone in mocks lately. They are amateur mocks so who knows? I'd be happy with Flowers, Tabib or Cason.

As for absolute picks TT always surprises.

My only comment here is "In Ted I trust."

How times have changed. I and a few others criticized him the last few years over his FA moves and picks. I thought he should be more active in free agency. Last year when he picked Harrell and took the time to walk to the Atrium and announce it he was booed.

Now he has a lot more trust and respect. I trust what he does.

How times have changed. I and a few others criticized him the last few years over his FA moves and picks. I thought he should be more active in free agency. Last year when he picked Harrell and took the time to walk to the Atrium and announce it he was booed.

I've been pretty on record as at least not being ANTI-Thompson from the get-go.

I think I've figured out what he likes in the draft - he isn't huge on "upside" players; guys who don't have production but "could become a good pro" or "have all the ability" don't impress him. He goes for guys who aren't going to "become" good players - he goes for guys who ARE good, productive players, and hopes that it translates to the pro game. I doubt we'll ever see him reach for a "workout warrior"-type guy who was so-so on the field but wow'ed 'em at the combine.

Oddly enough, it's pretty antithetical to how Mike Sherman seemed to draft.

Any of them are good but have been gone in mocks lately. They are amateur mocks so who knows? I'd be happy with Flowers, Tabib or Cason.

As for absolute picks TT always surprises.

Cason has been gone before the Packs pick? I knew Talib was usually gone, Flowers sometimes, but I can't recall seeing Cason gone.

My only comment here is "In Ted I trust."

Ted is my leader.

I've been upset at times during the drafts, but I've realized that Ted is my leader, and is far wiser than everyone ever.

I've been upset at times during the drafts, but I've realized that Ted is my leader, and is far wiser than everyone ever.

I don't know about "wiser than anyone ever" but probably smarter than the Peanut Gallery that grades his drafts on the following Monday.

Cason has been gone before the Packs pick? I knew Talib was usually gone, Flowers sometimes, but I can't recall seeing Cason gone.

Yes I've seen him go the Cowboys a couple of times, but now that they have Pacman that may change. Besides these mocks are amateur.

As for Ted he seems to go for players before anyone expects. Last year picking Harrell in the first seemed early because of his injury history. Fans didn't like it because they wanted a star WR. He doesn't go for big names except maybe with Rodgers.

Yes I've seen him go the Cowboys a couple of times, but now that they have Pacman that may change. Besides these mocks are amateur.

As for Ted he seems to go for players before anyone expects. Last year picking Harrell in the first seemed early because of his injury history. Fans didn't like it because they wanted a star WR. He doesn't go for big names except maybe with Rodgers.

Hmm... The majority of the mocks I've seen had Cason going early in the second round... Maybe he'll take him a few picks early. :wacko:

I'm not getting my hopes up, as I've only picked two Ted Thompson picks right, so I'll just refrain.

Hmm... The majority of the mocks I've seen had Cason going early in the second round... Maybe he'll take him a few picks early. :wacko:

I'm not getting my hopes up, as I've only picked two Ted Thompson picks right, so I'll just refrain.

I've seen him move up in a lot of mocks, but I can't tell if it's internet hype.

TT's had a lot of hits, but there have been some misses too. The jury is still out on 1st rounders Rodgers and Harrell, so he could look even better or worse.

Compared to other teams, I think Ted has very few misses...

As far as Harrell goes, we should get an idea very soon. We already know the guy is a beast monster when healthy, so with him I think it's more of an if he can stay healthy type thing.

As long as Rodgers stays within the system, I think he'll be just fine.

I've seen him move up in a lot of mocks, but I can't tell if it's internet hype.

I think it's more of internet jack-assery. Ted Thompson's MO is to do the opposite and to not take "sexy picks"

Just read this excerpt from a beat writer mock from cnnsi...

The pick was Cason, but I thought it was a good tidbit none the less.

Well, since trying to predict who Packers GM Ted Thompson will draft is akin to figuring out your wife's thought process, this is a tall task. Thompson took DT Justin Harrell last year when he already had 34 linemen. This year, conventional wisdom says the Packers need a cornerback to start replacing 30-somethings Al Harris and Charles Woodson. Or a quarterback since some guy named Brett Favre retired leaving Aaron Rodgers, the anti-Ironman, all by his lonesome. Thompson, after trying desperately to trade down, will buck his outside-the-box thinking and go with Cason, who has the physical cover skills needed in the Packers' scheme.

Compared to other teams, I think Ted has very few misses...

Well, my subjective ratings:

2007 - Green Bay Packers - really, too early to tell; but some of these guys have made an impact

1 16 Justin Harrell DT Tennessee

2 63 Brandon Jackson RB Nebraska

3 78 James Jones WR San Jose State

3 89 Aaron Rouse SAF Virginia Tech

4 119 Allen Barbre G Missouri Southern State

5 157 David Clowney WR Virginia Tech

6 191 Korey Hall FB Boise State

6 192 Desmond Bishop LB California

6 193 Mason Crosby K Colorado

7 228 DeShawn Wynn RB Florida

7 243 Clark Harris TE Rutgers

- it's safe to say that Harris and Clowney aren't ever going to amount to sh*t. Jones, Crosby, and Hall already have had solid production. Bishop was a special teams madman. Wynn and Jackson certainly appear to have the talent to play in the NFL, and both contributed in their rookie seasons. So did Rouse, with 2 starts. Only 1 starter, but 2 key special teamers, 2 key reserves, and 2 other contributors (that being Jackson and Wynn - I'm not sure how to qualify them) - not bad after just one year.

2006 - Green Bay Packers

1 5 A.J. Hawk OLB Ohio State

2 47 Daryn Colledge G Boise State

2 52 Greg Jennings WR Western Michigan

3 67 Abdul Hodge LB Iowa

3 75 Jason Spitz G Louisville

4 104 Cory Rodgers WR Texas Christian

4 115 Will Blackmon CB Boston College

5 148 Ingle Martin QB Furman

5 165 Tony Moll G Nevada-Reno

6 183 Johnny Jolly DT Texas A&M

6 185 Tyrone Culver DB Fresno State

7 253 Dave Tollefson DE Northwest Missouri State

- Tollefson, Martin, and Hodge are the only out-and-out busts in this one. Hawk, Colledge, Jennings, and Spitz start. Blackmon is supertalented but injury prone - if he can shake the injury bug, he will at least be a stud return man. Moll and Jolly are both key members of the OL/DL rotations, respectively. Culver has been a special teams guy with injury issues. Overall, 4 starters and 3 key reserves - not bad.

2005 - Green Bay Packers

1 24 Aaron Rodgers QB California

2 51 Nick Collins FS Bethune-Cookman

2 58 Terrence Murphy WR Texas A&M

4 115 Marviel Underwood DB San Diego State

4 125 Brady Poppinga LB Brigham Young

5 143 Junius Coston C North Carolina A&T

5 167 Mike Hawkins DB Oklahoma

6 180 Mike Montgomery DT Texas A&M

6 195 Craig Bragg WR UCLA

7 245 Kurt Campbell CB Albany State (NY)

7 246 Will Whitticker G Michigan State

- the bottom of this draft was ass. Whitticker, Campbell, Bragg, and Hawkins all amounted to squat. Underwood was in the mix at safety until a knee injury, and Murphy looked promising until he had to retire due to spinal stenosis; generally, in cases like those of Underwood, Murphy, and Hodge, the pick is still a "miss" but less damning than a guy who just can't cut it. Anyway, Pops, Collins, and Rodgers start, and Coston and Montgomery provide depth - 3 starters and 2 contributors. Not as good as his two later drafts - he clearly did better in the later rounds in '06 and '07 than he did in '05.

If they are all gone I see him trading down for those coveting a QB like Brohm or Flacco. If they(CB's) are still there he may roll the dice and trade down for an earlier 2nd round pick and maybe a 5th(Atlanta for instance). It's all speculation but now that we've seen a few of his drafts we can speculate more accurately I think.

He could change completely to throw everyone off. :wacko:

Thompson has been in charge for 8 drafts up to this year's. He has made trades moving down in the draft 14 times. He has traded up zero times. Yep - Thompson has never traded up in a draft as the GM in GB.

Edited by Bronco Billy

Thompson has been in charge for 8 drafts up to this year's. He has made trades moving down in the draft 14 times. He has traded up zero times. Yep - Thompson has never traded up in a draft as the GM in GB.

I was referring to Cason moving up the draft board, but interesting trivia nonetheless. :wacko: