[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Vikings Draft Discussion

Outshined

Straying off topic slightly (but still within the division)... is it too early to move Kevin Smith way up in dynasty league rankings?

He does have some wear on the tires after getting 450 touches last year, and he's still playing behind a weak offensive line, but with the way the draft has played out, he does move up.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Glad they grabbed a QB in this draft. Not really expecting much out of him here besides becoming a serviceable backup, but to get Booty here in the 5th is a fairly decent value pick for needed depth at a key spot on the team.

DT - Guion

I see a note that says he had some off-field issues. Anyone know what they are? I don't mind the idea of getting some more depth for the Williams Wall, since both of those guys have had injuries in the past and are not getting any younger. I still would have like to see the Vikes go with OL or TE.

Edited by Savage Beatings

DT - Guion

I see a note that says he had some off-field issues. Anyone know what they are? I don't mind the idea of getting some more depth for the Williams Wall, since both of those guys have had injuries in the past and are not getting any younger. I still would have like to see the Vikes go with OL or TE.

From Fox Sports analysis...

Negatives: Inconsistent in nearly all phases of the game. ... Inconsistent balance in his initial surge and is too often pushed to the ground. ... Plays high and can be knocked off the line. ... Flashes quickness upfield, but loses track of the ball. ... Suspended for the Music City Bowl for an academic violation poses a character red-flag.

Doesnt sound like a menace to society, but might suggest he is not the sharpest knife in the drawer or at least did not apply himself in the 'student' part of being a student athlete. Looks like he will need to improve his focus all the way around.

Edited by Delicious_bass

Finally an O-Lineman

Vikings take Notre Dame center

April 27th, 2008 – 2:59 PM by Judd Zulgad The Vikings took Notre Dame center John Sullivan with the first of their two sixth-round selections. The pick was acquired when Minnesota and Kansas City swapped sixth-rounders as part of the Jared Allen deal and fell at No. 187 overall and No. 21 in the round.

The Chiefs used the pick (No. 182) the Vikings previously held in the round to take Utah State wide receiver Kevin Robinson.

Here is the Pro Football Weekly summary on Sullivan: Regressed as a senior starting alongside two freshmen guards. … Despite limited agility, he is very strong, plays with power and could bring the most value to a team that likes to play with power. Could warrant looks at right guard.

Sullivan started all 13 games in 2006 and last season he started 10 games, missing two contests because of a right knee sprain.

The brainpower of the Vikings’ center tandem is a bit scary right now. Matt Birk is a Harvard grad and now a Notre Dame kid enters the picture? With Birk entering the last season of his contract, Sullivan could be groomed as his replacement.

The Vikings hold one more pick, No. 193, in this round. They no longer have a seventh-round selection.

I liked this line...

Sporting News draft guide:

Bottom line: Guion projects as a third round pick but could have become a high first round selection in 2009 had he stayed at Florida State and shown more consistency. He has the frame to add 15 to 20 pounds of bulk without much trouble. Guion has the tools to be a productive NFL starter, but he will need time to add weight and refine his technique.

I liked this line...

Sporting News draft guide:

Bottom line: Guion projects as a third round pick but could have become a high first round selection in 2009 had he stayed at Florida State and shown more consistency. He has the frame to add 15 to 20 pounds of bulk without much trouble. Guion has the tools to be a productive NFL starter, but he will need time to add weight and refine his technique.

Well, if he pays attention he should be able to learn from the Williams and have some time to add some weight and improve technique/consistency playing behind them.

I think we may have drafted a Punt Returner...Jaymar Johnson

From the sports exchange:

One of the quickest receivers in this year's class, Johnson is explosive as a receiver and return man. He caught 66 balls for 1,140 yards (17.3 per) and nine touchdowns and averaged 10.9 on 43 punt returns (with two scores) in his last two seasons. He couldn't crack the All-SWAC teams, but Johnson will have a great chance at achieving two other goals: being an NFL draft pick and making an NFL roster

Positives: Extreme quickness and deep speed … Very quick into and out of routes, sinking hips and exploding out … Able to snatch the ball out of the air on shallow crosses and deep seam and sideline routes … Can line up in the slot or outside … Excellent acceleration after catching a punt … Willing to block on the edge to spring his back for a big gain.

Negatives: Adequate height but thin and wiry … Lacks strength to get off the line of scrimmage or run through initial contact on receptions and returns … Does not make moves in the open field to elude tacklers, relying instead on his speed … Needs to prove he can handle a higher level of competition

FWIW, I really like the Vikings chances in the NFC this year. Three major factors:

1. Jackson HAS to pan out as a serviceable QB.

2. Nobody is going to run on them and the addition of Allen is going to have QBs getting rid of the ball way quicker than they might want to. The Allen trade was a very good one for the Vikes.

3. Adrian Peterson.

This is going to be a very good team, which sticks in my craw but sadly is true, I think.

ETA: Fourth major factor - Is Childress a good enough coach? :wacko:

Edited by Ursa Majoris

:wacko:

Uh, no.

All laughing aside - I think he can. Look at the players he had on offense his 1st year and switching to the complicated WCO. I think winning 6 games was above what that team should have won. Last year and now this year, we saw a total turnover of players on offense with the exception of a few lineman. The offense improved avg PPG last year and this year should be better. He utilized AD just right. His boy Tarvaris just needs to prove he can play in this league. IMO - This will be the deciding year for him. If not it's Booty time!! :D

Edited by Outshined

All laughing aside - I think he can. Look at the players he had on offense his 1st year and switching to the complicated WCO. I think winning 6 games was above what that team should have won. Last year and now this year, we saw a total turnover of players on offense with the exception of a few lineman. The offense improved avg PPG last year and this year should be better. He utilized AD just right. His boy Tarvaris just needs to prove he can play in this league. IMO - This will be the deciding year for him. If not it's Booty time!! :wacko:

They spent the money and went out and got players, forgoing a QB because TJax is Childress' chosen one. If they don't produce this year he has to gp imo, otherwise you're wasting a ton of money on guys like Hutch and Allen for nothing.

Edited by Hugh 0ne

They spent the money and went out and got players, forgoing a QB because TJax is Childress' chosen one. If they don't produce this year he has to gp imo, otherwise you're wasting a ton of money on guys like Hutch and Allen for nothing.

I am sure they will produce...T Jack has a lot to prove and a lot to learn. He showed some brilliance last year, but was also inconsistent and made some bad mistakes like most rookie QB's do. I don't think Childress's job is in jeaopardy because of it. Zygi already stated that this year regardless if they make the playoffs or not. I don't think it would be a good idea to change coaches when everything is in place and the offense is starting to gel...Well if they totally bomb and go 4-12 or something, then maybe.

As for forgoing the QB position, I don't think they had too many opportunities to get another QB other than later round picks unless they drafted Quinn last year, but that would have meant no AD. There also wasn't a lot of free agents out there. The fans ripped Childress last year for not getting Carr because he was on record for saying he did not like his throwing style. I will trust his judgment for now....

ETA: they don't reveal what goes on in Winter Park like Tice did. They may have pursued QB's, but we don't know about it. Did they inquire about McNabb? He was asked after the 1st draft if they tried to move up to get Cutler or Lienart and he said calls were made...They were talking with Jared Allen for months and it wasn't revealed until they brought him in for a visit. That just shows some how secretive they are they don't feel the need to tell what they tried to do etc...

Edited by Outshined

I like what Ted did here. Whether Booty or Flynn are better players remains to be seen.

Green Bay traded its fifth-round (No. 137) to Minnesota for the Vikings' fifth- (No. 150) and seventh-round (No. 209) picks. Minnesota selected John David Booty, qb, Southern Cal. Green Bay selected Breno Giacomini, ot, Louisville and Matt Flynn, qb, LSU.

I like what Ted did here. Whether Booty or Flynn are better players remains to be seen.

Green Bay traded its fifth-round (No. 137) to Minnesota for the Vikings' fifth- (No. 150) and seventh-round (No. 209) picks. Minnesota selected John David Booty, qb, Southern Cal. Green Bay selected Breno Giacomini, ot, Louisville and Matt Flynn, qb, LSU.

We know already, Ted is GOD!