[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

McFadden in Silver and Black

McFadden is not what we needed at all. That said, and it's been said often, this could be a great pickup for us. I have no idea what we are going to do with all these guys, never mind it seems like we didn't even give Bush a chance. But last year, the O-Line seemed to start to solidify finally, it would be nice if we had a player with LT or AP2-like explosiveness. With our luck, though we are sitting on another Reggie Bush or worse, Cedric benson.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

McFadden is not what we needed at all. That said, and it's been said often, this could be a great pickup for us. I have no idea what we are going to do with all these guys, never mind it seems like we didn't even give Bush a chance. But last year, the O-Line seemed to start to solidify finally, it would be nice if we had a player with LT or AP2-like explosiveness. With our luck, though we are sitting on another Reggie Bush or worse, Cedric benson.

Agreed, Dorsey would have been the conventional pick.

...but a one/two punch with Fargas and McFadden and JRus throwing to Walker/Curry could prove to be explosive...

I'm guessing the Raiders are hoping for better than 62 yards per game out the kid.

You never know what's going to happen once OAK starts actually having a passing offense. And with McFadden not being talked about as a full time back and not a great ability to move contact 1,000 seems about all I'd gurantee in the NFL.

My head said Dorsey by my heart said McFadden...I would have been happy with either pick. I guess Davis got tired of picking players out of need (Gallary, Huff, Russell) and finally went back to how he use to draft....best player available.

Should add some excitement to an anemic offense...I suspect Jordan will be cut, and either Fargas or Rhodes will be traded. A Bush/McFadden combo should be nice to watch...and if Russell develops some chemistry with Curry and Walker, we should finally have a decent offense again.

Edited by Return Of S&B

Just watched the Kiffin press conference, and their logic actually made a lot of sense.

He stated that the reason they passed on Dorsey was simply because he's an amazing 3-technique DT, which was the position they just resigned Kelly to play. If they drafted Dorsey, they would have paid him as a #4 overall pick, then moved him to Nose, where he would have to play out of position and would have had some tough learning ahead of him.

After most recently making Huff and Sapp play out of position, and having their performances be much-less than expected - I'd say this was a good call by Kiffin/Ryan/Al.

On another note, I just watched DMC's press conference from Oakland on Raiders.com. Very impressed with his attitude :wacko:

Edited by kpholmes

Just watched the Kiffin press conference, and their logic actually made a lot of sense.

He stated that the reason they passed on Dorsey was simply because he's an amazing 3-technique DT, which was the position they just resigned Kelly to play. If they drafted Dorsey, they would have paid him as a #4 overall pick, then moved him to Nose, where he would have to play out of position and would have had some tough learning ahead of him.

After most recently making Huff and Sapp play out of position, and having their performances be much-less than expected - I'd say this was a good call by Kiffin/Ryan/Al.

On another note, I just watched DMC's press conference from Oakland on Raiders.com. Very impressed with his attitude :wacko:

Now let's avoid the Jamarcus fiasco of last year and hand this kid a contract!

Now let's avoid the Jamarcus fiasco of last year and hand this kid a contract!

:wacko: He said he really wants to get out there and play, and it's a priority for him to be there day one. He recognizes that in any situation, but more so in his because of the competition at the position, the longer you hold out the less you'll play.

I just don't think it is wise to rely on a kid that hasn't been on the field in almost two years. Best case scenario, Bush is a perfect compliment to McFadden. Think of the pressure this could take of Russell, if they hit on both RB's. IMO the Raiders just became respectable overnight.

Pure coach-speak. Kiffin stated all along prior to the draft that RB was NOT a need for the Raiders. But we all know who runs the show in Oakland... Kiffin is now trying to make the best of a situation that he didn't want.

If you examine it further, it doesn't make sense. Dorsey could have been the pick and left to play the 3-technique. Kelly could have been moved back outside to DE, where he last played before he was awarded that huge contract, and also where I feel he is better suited. He'd be a huge upgrade over whoever they have penciled in there (either Edwards or Richardson).

What's more, they STILL don't have a quality guy to play the nose technique in their 4-3 system. Warren is a borderline starter at best, and Sands has been a bust since emerging a couple of seasons ago. Kiffin's statements seem to suggest that taking Dorsey would have created this weakness - The weakness did and does still exist.

By not taking Dorsey, they have a below average starter at DE, a below average starter at the nose technique, and a decent starter at the 3-technique who is not proficient at stopping the run. If they would have taken him, they'd be very very solid at both DE spots, they'd have a good guy at the 3-technique who has the potential to be elite, and the same guy at the nose.

The Raiders were simply run over by many teams last year, and they've arguably hurt their rush defense more than they've helped it in the offseason. I don't see how they're going to compete in the AFC West until they fix that.

But Martellus Bennett will be the best TE in the league in two years? Man, you're on a roll tonight... McFadden won't be a stud, Bennett will, Jacob Hester is better than Brian Leonard who is a spare and was a spare at Rutgers... :wacko:

imitation phallis

Pure coach-speak. Kiffin stated all along prior to the draft that RB was NOT a need for the Raiders. But we all know who runs the show in Oakland... Kiffin is now trying to make the best of a situation that he didn't want.

If you examine it further, it doesn't make sense. Dorsey could have been the pick and left to play the 3-technique. Kelly could have been moved back outside to DE, where he last played before he was awarded that huge contract, and also where I feel he is better suited. He'd be a huge upgrade over whoever they have penciled in there (either Edwards or Richardson).

What's more, they STILL don't have a quality guy to play the nose technique in their 4-3 system. Warren is a borderline starter at best, and Sands has been a bust since emerging a couple of seasons ago. Kiffin's statements seem to suggest that taking Dorsey would have created this weakness - The weakness did and does still exist.

By not taking Dorsey, they have a below average starter at DE, a below average starter at the nose technique, and a decent starter at the 3-technique who is not proficient at stopping the run. If they would have taken him, they'd be very very solid at both DE spots, they'd have a good guy at the 3-technique who has the potential to be elite, and the same guy at the nose.

The Raiders were simply run over by many teams last year, and they've arguably hurt their rush defense more than they've helped it in the offseason. I don't see how they're going to compete in the AFC West until they fix that.

Quite simply......having a player the caliber and makeup of Darren McFadden will make the defense play harder and tougher than any defensive player they could have picked.

Quite simply......having a player the caliber and makeup of Darren McFadden will make the defense play harder and tougher than any defensive player they could have picked.

What is it about his make up that will make the d play harder? Since he is a gangster and son of a crackhead you think he will threaten to shoot them in the head?

What is it about his make up that will make the d play harder? Since he is a gangster and son of a crackhead you think he will threaten to shoot them in the head?

Did you watch him play in college? Or just have an opinion now that the draft has rolled around and you saw the interviews on ESPN?

Did you watch him play in college? Or just have an opinion now that the draft has rolled around and you saw the interviews on ESPN?

Saw him in HS. His school was in my old team's district his Jr or Sr year. I can't remember. I prob watched half of his college games as well. Does that count for anything?

The moment the Raiders gave Kelly $18 million and said he was playing 3 technique, Dorsey (or any other DT) was off our radar.

Kelly's best position is playing under-tackle next to Sands. He was OK when playing DE but at 6-5, 300, he is clearly built to play the DT position that penetrates the line as well as racks up tackles...Under-Tackle. Until Sapp retired, Kelly was essentially playing out of position at DE (and sometimes NT)

The fact their run-defense was so bad last year related mainly to Kelly being out half the season and Sapp regressing badly in terms of total tackles. Sapp was never a good run-stuffer so the run-defense actually regressed while he was in Oakland. Sure his leadership skills were valuable but his best attribute was rushing the passer and he did have one good year doing that while with the Raiders (10 sacks 2 or 3 years ago)

If the Raiders were serious about improving their run defense, they would be looking to replace their Nose-Tackle (Sands)....not their current Under-Tackle (Kelly). While Dorsey and Ellis should both end up being great Defensive Tackles, neither were projected to be Nose Tackles because both excel in penetrating the line, rushing the passer and hover around the 300 lb weight threshold.

The best Nose Tackles in the game are least 320 and are completely different kinds of players than Dorsey or Ellis. Because the weakspot at the Defensive Tackle position was Sands, not Kelly, McFadden was the right choice at the #4 spot.

Edited by Return Of S&B

Saw him in HS. His school was in my old team's district his Jr or Sr year. I can't remember. I prob watched half of his college games as well. Does that count for anything?

So if you've seen him play so much, and have such low expectations for him, can you provide us with more insight than "Mcfadden will not make it as a stud rb in the league."